Lego

Reginald

Reaction score
About time we had another Lego thread.

io9 has an article today about loads of various different space sets that have come out since the first ones back in the 60s.

1964:
500x_1964_spacerocket.jpg

2009:
500x_5974_galactic_enforcer_a_01.jpg

Including lots of awesome ones in between.

500x_1981_starfleetvoyager.jpg

500x_1987_monorailtransportsystem.jpg

I had a mini-orgasm when I realised I owned this one:
500x_1991_aerialintruder.jpg

What they fail to show you with this one is just quite how delicate it is. If you opened the main cockpit, the wings fell off. If you opened the side cockpits, you'd spend another 10 minutes trying to close them again. But there's no doubt it was the start of greater interactivity with the things they made with little latches and levers to make things work. I have very fond memories.

500x_1993_icestationodyssey.jpg

I definitely also had one in this range. It was a little buggy with chainsaws on the front.

500x_1994_reconrobot.jpg

Holy shit. I had one in this range too, again smaller than this, but it was a Red Robot that a minifigure could sit inside.

Anyone who didn't drool over this hugely expensive set in the Argos catalogue was a fool:
500x_1994_monorailtransportbase.jpg

I had this but I remember not liking it all that much. Not sure why. I think it was one of the first sets I had that didn't allow for much alteration due to the fact there were a lot of custom pieces.
500x_1997_warpwingfighter.jpg

Then I had one of this range as well. This was the "big £50 set" and I had the "2nd biggest £30 set" which was a grasshopper shaped space buggy with actual spring legs and a little detachable spaceship in the back. It was cool.
500x_1998_arachnoidstarbase.jpg

Here's the article if you were interested.
http://io9.com/5412239/a-black-friday-guide-to-lego-space-toys-through-the-years/gallery/

Post your Lego stories and pictures.

Any discussion of K'Nex = immediate exclusion from the cool kids.

not my first lego, but i think it's awesome (i still have the monkey!):

64101.jpg

I still can't stand when someone breaks one Lego creation to build another. My brother used to break all of my extreme builds to create ugly multi-coloured cars and shit he could build out of anything. :(

I still can't stand when someone breaks one Lego creation to build another.

I did that all the time. I remember all the weird cars I made with inapropiate parts. Rubber front tires, and in the back wagon wheels... :LOL:

Lego System is for pussies.

Lego Technic is where it's at. Ah the fond memories of battery powered lego vehicles...

I remember when my mom got me this in 96 and it kicked ass.

2ekjivl.jpg

Later I moved into Kinex.

I had this one when I was young:

500x_1981_starfleetvoyager.jpg

There was an even bigger version of it, but that was damn expensive.

I remember when my mom got me this in 96 and it kicked ass.

2ekjivl.jpg

Later I moved into Kinex.

I think I got that in Christmas of the same year.
We could have been playing with the same toy at the same moment!

Lego is a special kind of toy. It's just so pure and has such great potential for encouraging creativity. I'm going to get it all out of the loft when I return home in a couple of weeks.

Then I'll probably play computer games but at elast for that first 45 minutes, I'll be free to dream.

I really loved following the instructions to build the sets too.

I remember rebuilding this western set I had at least 10 times, just for the joy of it.

My joy for this carried over into following tutorials for software on the computer, like Worldcraft and stuff.

Me and my brother must have bought about 4 or 5 of these lego sets, this one lego set was the best to us for some reason.. It's still awesome.

6490-1.jpg

We only bought one of these, but it was also awesome.

6444-1.jpg

I was big into Lego Technic for a while. This was more or less my favourite xmas present ever:

8880.jpg

It was huge, had working suspension, steering, transmission and everything.

Oh, I'm so envious. I remember seeing that thing in a magazine with all sorts of lego sets, but couldn't find it around here...

I still love Legos. Not only were they awesome to build, I made stop action movies with them. It was pretty awesome. Lots of good times there.

Totally remember building this:

4504-1.jpg

That's a highly unrealistic depiction of the Millennium Falcon.

I played with lego's a ton while growing up. I have sets from the ice planet one, pirates, space, and a bunch of star wars ones. I later got more technic ones and even the mindstorms set which was a ton of fun.

Man, I LOVED Lego back when I was a kid. It's actually related to where I got my name from too...

image rock raiders

YES. Them. Totally them.

I'm going to exit this thread sharpish because I'm in the middle of a large amount of work and otherwise I will ramble on for paragraphs about how much I loved and still do love Lego. Cya!

This is the last lego set I bought.

lego_deathstar.jpg

not my first lego, but i think it's awesome (i still have the monkey!):

64101.jpg

Aaaaah, this picture brings back so many memories...I'd forgotten I ever had that!

I used to have this other set too, it was kind of cool, you built this robot and it was battery operated and you could control it using a computer...but I only ever figured out how to get it to throw stuff at me. I had fun putting it together though:)

legomindstorms.jpg

Oh, I'm so envious. I remember seeing that thing in a magazine with all sorts of lego sets, but couldn't find it around here...
It cost my mum £80 from Argos as I recall. You missed out, man.

On the other hand, I had a Lego Technic airplane which I was also very proud of, but my dad got drunk and fell over on it, smashing it to pieces and deeply upsetting me for the rest of my life. Maybe you had a lucky escape.

Ahh so many great memories of LEGO :D

i had this one:

10030-1.jpg

it was fecking huge!

It's been a long time since I was jealous of another person for a toy they had.. Good work baka. You f*cking asshole.

I gave my Legos to my little nephew. I had probably 10,000 (I don't know. A LOT) miscellaneous parts from when I was growing up. One of the best toys ever.

At the time, I wasn't into them anymore (cuza vidya games), but I though this was fairly awesome (>20 years ago):
6393-1.jpg

That was the last LEGO thing I got.

I always ****ing wanted the construction themed ones.

That's because you a bitch. The city/construction/real life ones were the best, I mean I liked the rock raiders and all those crazy space ones and whatnot, but the real life ones were the best by far, like the gas station - that was AWESOME.

I remember a little $3 set that was just the fuel car for airplanes and a lego man - that was really awesome too, has a retractable hose and everything.

500x_1994_reconrobot.jpg

Holy shit. I had one in this range too, again smaller than this, but it was a Red Robot that a minifigure could sit inside.
I had this one! Huge robot with CLAWS!

My very first LEGO System. Wolf people were so awesome, oh boy...

6038-1.jpg

Red Dragons fo life yo. (It might've been black dragons, actually I'm not sure)

I've always wanted that Star Wars lego set that came with Thrawn....

1247933033m_SPLASH.jpg

Ohhhh yeahhh

I'd say I feel a bit geekish but what's the point in a lego thread :p

Should I be ashamed that I'm 24 on Thursday and my girlfriend's getting me some Lego for xmas lol! :D

I vote this thread: THE BEST THREAD EVER!

Damn, so many memories. Sniff sniff. Excuse me...

Should I be ashamed that I'm 24 on Thursday and my girlfriend's getting me some Lego for xmas lol! :D

Depends if the legos are normal sized or super huge for preschoolers.

I have a lot of the ones posted in this thread.

But you know what bothers me? I was checking out the Toys 'R Us catalogue the other day and looked at the Star Wars sets they're selling to kids these days. And it pissed me off.

Back in the day, back when the Star Wars special edition was in theatres, my friend and I got inspired and started making our own lego versions of the ships. And my god was it difficult. So many round shapes, so many cockpit sizes that were impossible to build. So many limitations based on the fact that the existing Lego pieces were not suitable for Star Wars-type ships. But we persevered. Making a proper size Tie Fighter was mind bending but we managed.

Then I look at the modern sets. And then I look at how they managed to make Star Wars kits. And 90% of the time they invent new pieces just so the sets work. Consider me triumphantly pissed. That's right, not even Lego themselves can build Star Wars kits with the 90s-era pieces. Instead they resort to just making new moulds. BUT WE DID IT WITHOUT THAT.

Yeah that's an old rant, but despite the way they invent new pieces, a lot of times they don't and they do some really clever stuff.

Back