Mass Effect: The Movie

Kakashi

Spy
Reaction score
Mass Effect Movie Happening
Batman and Spidey producers take on EA-BioWare game.

May 24, 2010

The producers behind The Dark Knight and Spider-Man are teaming for Mass Effect, a live-action, big screen adaptation of the Electronic Arts-BioWare videogame.

Legendary Pictures' Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni have acquired the film rights to the game and will produce the movie along with former Marvel Studios honcho Avi Arad and his son Ari Arad. BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will serve as executive producers, as will Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson. Warner Bros. will distribute the film.

Furthermore, the producers are in negotiations with screenwriter Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, Thor) about penning the script. The Mass Effect movie is in the nascent stages of development.

SOURCE

I'm excited for it, but just don't know how it'll turn out. Avi Arad produced a lot of Marvel movies, some of them great. The project is just starting, but it looks like it'll be something stable to go on through, we'll see.

You'll find out in like 10 years. Maybe it will be terrible like the Far Cry movie or horrible like Doom movie or ... well you get the idea.

They're supposed to be making a Gears of War movie too... I don't know how well that will go over.

Don't get your hopes up, it could turn out like the halo deal, falling flat on its face.

You'll find out in like 10 years. Maybe it will be terrible like the Far Cry movie or horrible like Doom movie or ... well you get the idea.

They're supposed to be making a Gears of War movie too... I don't know how well that will go over.
Last I heard the Gears movie got a big budget cut.

yep it seems I was right

now they will made movies for every game

Finding somebody to play as Shepherd will be easy

If they can't find a decent actor, they could call upon Ugly Shepard

uglyshep032.jpg

Oh jesus. Can't they leave anything sacred?

Maybe they should make a film set in the Mass Effect universe rather than actually based on the games. Would be so much better.

Someone on another forum stated that it would be good if it was based on the Relay 314 Incident as opposed to the actual games

Interesting, but as reginald said, I would have preferred it if they kept it purely game based. Could turn out good, or is that wishful thinking?

So that makes Mass Effect, Gears of War, Kane and Lynch, Uncharted and Pacman all confirmed for movies. Are videogame movies the new comic book movies? I hope a Half-Life movie is the equivalent of the Dark Knight then.

How are you supposed to make a film based on a game that's so heavily based on the player choice between Paragon/Renegade actions? What the **** is Shepard supposed to be in the movie? Some bland middle ground or is he going to be frantically alternating back and forth between saving infants and headbutting civilians? Considering the cinematic flair the games have, a film adaptation isn't right out. But the whole "make your own Shepard" concept is the crux of the whole thing.

I don't get it. I would quite like to see the universe of Mass Effect brought alive on the silver screen, but that would be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Would be better if it was disconnected from the plot of the game series.

I think they would make it paragon Shepard.
Keanu Reeves for Shepard!

I want a Mass Effect MMO in the vein of Tabula Rasa.. only good.

So that makes Mass Effect, Gears of War, Kane and Lynch, Uncharted and Pacman all confirmed for movies. Are videogame movies the new comic book movies? I hope a Half-Life movie is the equivalent of the Dark Knight then.
Don't forget Spy Hunter, Bioshock, Joust, Asteroids, Area-51 (the console shooter update from 2005), and Psi-Ops, although most of those all have probably been cancelled by now (except Area-51 which was just revealed to still be in development late last year).

I'd want Matthew Fox to play Shepard. For a few obvious reasons.

You're all forgetting the obvious actor for Shepard.

shia labeouf

metal-gear-labeouf1.jpg

I havent played ME2 yet, but from ME1 - how can you make a film about it? Its a rip-off of every 1970s/1980s sci-fi movie. Its a good ripoff, but its very much the same.

Its going to end up like Max Payne, isn't it?

It'll have a male Shepard, which means it sure as hell won't be based on any Mass Effect game I played. Pass.

The only way I could see this working is if, like the novels, the story is set in the ME universe but doesn't actually directly involve Shepard or his team. You could have a story set in the background during or between the games, or maybe the First Contact War like someone here already mentioned. The Rachni or Krogan wars would also be interesting, although I doubt an all-alien cast would work in Hollywood.

But honestly I'm not holding my breath due to video game movies' famous history of sucking complete ass.

personally, if this goes through. they should use the voice actors as most of the real actors. seth green could still be joker, etc

500x_masseffect2voicemontage_01.jpg

How are you supposed to make a film based on a game that's so heavily based on the player choice between Paragon/Renegade actions? What the **** is Shepard supposed to be in the movie? Some bland middle ground or is he going to be frantically alternating back and forth between saving infants and headbutting civilians? Considering the cinematic flair the games have, a film adaptation isn't right out. But the whole "make your own Shepard" concept is the crux of the whole thing.

I don't get it. I would quite like to see the universe of Mass Effect brought alive on the silver screen, but that would be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Would be better if it was disconnected from the plot of the game series.
Heh. If it was a made for disc movie (no theater release) then they could make it a 'choose your own adventure!' movie. Where you skip to certain chapters based on your decisions.

Heh. If it was a made for disc movie (no theater release) then they could make it a 'choose your own adventure!' movie. Where you skip to certain chapters based on your decisions.

Man I love those books

personally, if this goes through. they should use the voice actors as most of the real actors. seth green could still be joker, etc

Lieutenant Worf is in Mass Effect? Thought I would have noticed that...

I also hate Seth Green.

What a shit idear. Still, The Dark Knight was really awesome, so who knows. It all depends on the writing, actors, directing, cinematographer, etc. So yeah, hard to say now.

Why on earth wouldn't Bioware pen the script instead of having someone else do it? About the only two devs capable of producing a quality movie with their own writing are Valve and Bioware so there may be hope.

There has never, in the history of film, been a videogame movie that hasn't sucked somewhere between moderately and hilariously badly.

What characters do all those actors play? I know a few but not all.

Baldwin plays Reegar, the Quarian marine, Tigh is officer Bailey, Six plays EDI, President Bartlet plays the illusive man, no idea who Worf plays but my guess is a Krogan.

Yeah that movie was full of terrible lines and terrible actors (hardly any of the originals) and... well... all sorts of terrible. Kitana was so hot though.

Mass Effect TV Series>Mass Effect movie.

Back