Max Payne 3!!!!!!!!!!1111

While I was a fan of the first two games, I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say shit's gonna suck. That way if it's a big letdown--which it most likely will be--I won't lose any tears over it, and if it's good--which it most likely won't be--I will be pleasantly surprised.

While I was a fan of the first two games, I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say shit's gonna suck. That way if it's a big letdown--which it most likely will be--I won't lose any tears over it, and if it's good--which it most likely won't be--I will be pleasantly surprised.
I think this has been the strategy going forward for Bioshock 2, Deus Ex 3, and now Max Payne 3 (and System Shock 3 before that disappeared from whence it came). 2009/10 has the potential to be just like 2003 was. Sequels for great PC titles quickly making it out the door early to catch the consoles at their peak and thereafter flopping limply on the pavement in a mess of rushed design decisions and lack of substance.

If Valve announce a September 30th date for Episode Three, it'll be time to find a new hobby for a while :)

What if Gordon goes clean shaven for Episode 3 -- JUST to be different. Oh god, he is smooth enough to do something like that, isn't he.

Never actually played the games but I know what happens and I've seen some mates clear it a while back.

I agree with this.

Also I don't like the way the "new" Max looks...
Would it have been to much to ask if he was the same, why the hell did they have to make him older.

Take the premise, changed character, add a different developer that doesn't know what it's doing, and you get a shitty game that is made as an attempt to cash in on the name of the franchise...

No thanks.

Besides, how long can dude live if he's falling off of sky scrapers and popping pain killers all the time?

Who am I kidding, I can't wait to play this. I hope it's actually fun.

Smashing your face on the keyboard is my trademark. GTFO

Smashing your face on the keyboard is my trademark. GTFO

<3

It was mainly cause I just started playing through Max Payne again the other day and I remembered how much I enjoyed it. Then suddenly BAM - Max Payne 3. :E

People who haven't played MP2 should really check it out. It's prolly 10euros now or less and still looks good/plays well.

Oh and you can get mods for MP2, some good fun to be had out there.

Sounds cool, but id prefer Remedy doing it instead of rockstar...they are just going to GTA the hell out of it :(

MP2 was so great, there were mods for the havok engine that made the ragdoll physics more realistic than anything I've seen so far.

Oh look, the protagonist has undergone the transformation from young vengeful action hero into a haggard old disillusioned man who forgets to shave his facial hair. This character is never in video games these days.

Take heed gamers: the mustache is officially in.

You forgot:

condemned-2-bloodshot-20070511034830459-000.jpg

I'm excited for Max Payne 3. At the same time, this particular trend is one I'm growing tired of, and I fear suckage.

Glad Condemned jumped on one my favorite gaming aesthetic fads as well. I won't be satisfied until every major game protagonist becomes a haggard, tired looking muscular, battle-hardened war hero. Female characters and non-humans are not excluded.

Its better than the clean shaven prettyboy meat popsicles and huge titted scantily clad supermodels we used to get.

Is this the second coming of christ or something? I read the first page and I came to that conclusion.

^Pretty much that.

Never played any Max Paynes. I knew they were popular, but Jesus Christ, where's that distinct hl2.net skepticism?

Maybe everyone's counting on Darkside being skeptical enough for everyone else.

Its better than the clean shaven prettyboy meat popsicles and huge titted scantily clad supermodels we used to get.

It's interesting because I think the west is drifting further and further away from Japanese inspiration (Clancy and other such titles are hugely unpopular in the East, for the most part). The games industry is becoming less and less influenced by Nintendo/Squareization and is becoming more and more a reflection of what pop/movie culture desires today. This of course goes along with video games being far more mainstream than ever before, but it's nonetheless interesting. Especially considering the art style we consider Japanese (anime looking characters) was largely inspired by Disney style influence on Eastern art. Pop video game art has gone full circle -- we'll see what's next I won't say Japanese games are fading into obscurity, but they simply aren't doing as well stateside, with a few massive exceptions (those who are adapting -- think Resident Evil and the latest incarnations of Final Fantasy).

I sincerely hope the days of games like Jet Grind Radio and Homeworld coming stateside aren't coming to an end, but I'll be damned if I can't smell it. :(

tl/dr: Japanese games aren't doing as well in the west as they used to, and the art style isn't being imitated as frequently in AAA games. I apologize for the derailment, two cups of black coffee and a night of procrastinating papers for my Jewish Literature class -- woot.

Here's hoping it manages to retain the spark the previous games had... doubt it, though.

No that was rockstar toronto
Very well, I take that back. I stand by my other two criticisms though, so nurr.
full stop.

This is Max Payne we're talking about. The series is as cliched as it gets, you can't be serious. Max Payne may be amazing stylized fun, but originality has never exactly been the series' strongest point.

Hmm. Huge fan of the first two, color me cautiously excited.
Of course MP has always been about embracing cliches whole-heartedly whilst simultaneously taking the piss out of them (although MP2 flew seriously close to taking itself seriously on a number of occasions) but if they're going grittier and darker and more cynical and more buzz words that are so de rigeur at the moment, keeping a sense of irony about this direction becomes increasingly difficult. The darker you try to get, the more difficult it can become to parody because a step too far into Mockery County and things get light-hearted, thus negating the whole dark & gritty target.

Don't think we need another Max Payne, could have lived with just 1 and 2

NO! always more room for MAX PAYNE!!!

http://www***ssellbeattie.com/blog/media/Homer-Simpson-3.jpg

Excellent news, Must upgrade PC on next release of Graphics card.

The question is , will the story star off from the ending where max saves mona or the other one.My bet is on the depressing one. :D

Yes. That is all.

if they're going grittier and darker and more cynical and more buzz words that are so de rigeur at the moment, keeping a sense of irony about this direction becomes increasingly difficult.
I think maybe you just haven't read enough Sam Houser quotes. :p

I agree though, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the plot. Rockstar has always had a bit of a different approach to irony (ie: dick jokes).

The rain hit me like the dark hail of a vomiting behemoth who had just been eating gallons of tar. The wind was whipping so hard across my face that my stinky-cheese-face expression became a necessity rather than a choice. I looked about the city, filled with noir nonsense, and decided that it was a good day to do what has to be done by me to help my brother to defeat the ENEMYS.

F*ck YES I want more Max Payne!!!

truth-of-max-payne.jpg

That one is even more funny when you actually hear him say it.:)

Back