Memory "memory could not be 'read'" error SOLVED !!!!

A

argønaut

Hi Everybody

After playing about 70% of HL2 it started to have the error known as "'The Instruction at 0x####### referenced memory at 0x#######. The memory could not be 'read'

Well... i've tried ALL ALL ALL possible test... suggested in this forum plus many many many i've done myself (changing/increasing RAM 2 GB!! , changing Videocard from X800XT to 98ooPRO 256MB)

The solution??? when i've discovered i couldn't beleive !!!
The error memory problem it not depending on VIDEO RAM or SYSTEM RAM or SWAPFILE !!!
The problem is generated by the SOUNDCARD !!!
I have an AUDIGY 1 and as last try I've cheked to www.soundblaster.com if there were some updated drivers...
So for this soundcard there is a CRITICAL !!! UPDATE !!! for Windows 2000 and WIndows XP
After updating the driver HL2 STARTED AGAIN !!! :eek: :eek:
So forget about downclocking your system... or changing all memory parameters of bios and windows.
If U don't' have an Audigy work anyway on your sound card settings either on Bios (if integrated) or with teh drivers.

I've always thought my problems were related to my sound card. However I have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 and theres no drivers for XP. So I have to use Audigy/Soundblaster integrated drivers :(

Heh, the error can be caused by anything. ;) That's what makes it so frustrating to disgnose.

just post this in the memory error thread since it won't fix it for everyone.

sorry, but this isnt a revolutionary discovery.....

Valve have "update yur soundcard drivers" as like the first thing to do in their support secition for this error.

Of course this doesnt work for me....or alot of other people

i think the sound card is not the reason just because i am using on board sound card n i have updated driver ( realtek) latest version in www.intel.com
my spec:
intel 915GAV
p4 3.0 ghz (775)
512 ram
intel gma900
80 gb sata
intel realtek sound onboard
windows XP sp1

Lucky for me... eventhough my Videocard is super old. HL2 runs without any problems in my PC.

Back