Monday Night Combat Competition - Design Future Sports

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]Thanks to Uber Entertainment we have 5 copies of Monday Night Combat to give away! MNC has received great praise since release with an art style some people have compared to Team Fortress 2. The game centres around a lethal sport of the future involving combat to win tournaments & prizes, you can even play online co-op.[br]For our competition we want you to design your own future sport. You can adapt current sports to include futuristic technologies or dream up something entirely new and revolutionary. Be as creative as you can, tell us how it works and include drawings or diagrams if you wish to![br]Send your entries to [email protected] with your HL2.net username in the email subject. One entry per user, competition closes Thursday 24th February @ 11.59am GMT. Good luck!

In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-barred fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fights' popularity grew with their brutality; soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The Professional League was formed: a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a grand tournament.

Now, it is 2341. Fifty years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch. Profits from the tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the Professional League by the Liandri Rules Board.

Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best... to crush your enemies... to win the Tournament.

Already have the game, but good luck to everyone who enters the competition. Great game.

In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-barred fighting. Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fights' popularity grew with their brutality; soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The Professional League was formed: a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a grand tournament.

Now, it is 2341. Fifty years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch. Profits from the tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the Professional League by the Liandri Rules Board.

Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best... to crush your enemies... to win the Tournament.
Ah, so good. This is exactly what I was thinking when I read Glenn's description of the game.

Already have the game, but I might make an entry just for fun. I was silly to buy it though, thinking a new game might actually run on my laptop. It just gets progressively slower and slower the longer I try to play. Really need to build a desktop. And acquire money so I might do that.

Damn, just gotta hate Glenn's blurry pics apparently lol. :S

Already have the game, but I might make an entry just for fun. I was silly to buy it though, thinking a new game might actually run on my laptop. It just gets progressively slower and slower the longer I try to play. Really need to build a desktop. And acquire money so I might do that.

While sometimes that can mean a memory leak, I'm assuming since it's on a laptop, your laptop is just overheating after a while.

Alright, got mine all written up and submitted. I hope I can win one... Are you guys going to post them on here for everyone else to read?

By 2075 and more than several world wars involving turky jerky corp, bear wrestling became the new fad. starting when a random soldier in world war 6 bet that he could take down several viscious animals... so despite is joking comment he was placed in a cage with a black bear, polar bear, brown bear, and a molcicious and murderious teddy bear; he died... so from that day foward, war vetrains and old timers bet money on one another on how many bears they could take down before one of their limbs was to be amputated, the set record was 8 bears by Vladmir scepelly who ironicly was against animal abuse. This professional sport spread world wide as man became more and more obsessed with atempting to prove their worth in bear meat/skins this sport unfortionaly found its way with teen buying cubs and adults illegaly and trying to kill them, this has been found to be popular to children as young as 5 and in one case a rabid black bear was found mauled to death next to the crib of an infant who happened to have bear blood on their hands.

To prove youreself in bear meat, are you ready to take on the most dangerous of land anmals working youre way up to the all mighty Man Bear Pig

Power Hour Deathmatch:

A interesting and deadly twist on the hit party game power hour where 2 or more players would have 1 shot of vodka or any other drink every minute for an hour, this new version of the game, very popular in asylums hospitals and suicide clinics replaces the old drab alchoholic drink with grade A Poison ranging from plain old drugs like an ingection of heroine per minute for an hour to nerotoxic vemon and radioactive liguids, and even desperatly including urine and the more cannabalistic version blood. The name is self explanitory...How many shots of venom can you take for 1 hour before dying, trying to outlast youre opponent. Ussualy parents try teaching their kids how to survive these shots b placing i in their bottles and food,

The stakes are high the risk of death is definate and the money could be all yours... drink you way to victory!!!!

Dead Phil, read the opening post:
Send your entries to [email protected] with your HL2.net username in the email subject. One entry per user, competition closes Thursday 24th February @ 11.59am GMT. Good luck!

So are many people submitting things? It's quiet around here...

I just submitted my idea, so at least there are 5 entries :D

Interesting idea, I'll throw in for the heck of it.

Just incase anyone wanted to know more about the prize we are giving away, Total Biscuit, a well known youtube commentator / caster / reviewer did a WTF is episode for MNC. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3KxudoBhAU

Well that's cool. I didn't know it had DoTA-style stuff in it. I just thought it was a new take on TF2. That's really how they advertised it. Considering how popular DoTA is, you'd think they'd market it primarily on that aspect.

This is now closed - results later today. New competition going up tomorrow also.

Our 5 winners are:

Overwatch Sector
PlanetPhillip
JossiRossi
StarBob
Noir

Congratulations to those who won - I will post their winning entries later on. I will PM the winners with their prize around the same time, keep an eye on your inbox! Thanks to all who took part.

I visited the site like 6 times today just to check the results, and I won, thank you very much :D

Fantastic! I have been probably beyond the level of excitement that is reasonable for an event like this all day. I'm also interested to see the rest of the entries as well.

Noir I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been parked here all day while I'm at work. Checking in between sessions of coding.

Prizes sent, entries need some serious formatting first to be forum friendly. I'll try do that tomorrow after the new competition goes up! I just need time!

Cool, glad I managed to get in the top 5. I look forward to checking the game out.

enjoy guys more on the way, hang in the forums, post comments on our news we just ask you be active :)

I stayed up too late playing this game and I'm tired now.

Edit: I also noticed that I was having a similar problem to riomhaire. I think the game might actually have some kind of memory leak or something that slows it down as you continue playing. It starts out smooth but then I'd get a little choppy after about an hour. Particularly when I'd respawn. It would break up the commentator's dialogue and such. It wasn't a big deal though because it would subside after a few seconds. I may just need to update some drivers too... I don't think I've updated my sound card drivers since I got the thing.

Thanks for running this competition. Was a great idea. I look forward to reading the winning entries.

Back