Monsters!

Turn the monsters on?

• Total voters

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
So, with the server being almost official, and with Notch having made SMP actually playable, it's time to ask the question:

Turn the monsters on?

If we were to do so, there'd be a week's grace period to prepare and strengthen your defences, and even then we'd only be on Easy, with the possibility of ramping the difficulty up later on.

So vote!

I'd be okay with monsters spawning. But I and I'm sure lots of others would appreciate it if you could find a way to disable creepers.

I also would like a mod for turning fall damage off, or at least making it so it's not fatal.

I would like creepers to be kept on and there to be no grace period and full fall damage.

So what percentage of the white list do we need to hear from before we make a choice?

I'm willing to give it a couple of days.

Of course, non-members on the whitelist don't get to vote...

I think its fine so long as it's on Easy-Normal difficulty, you'll be surprised how quickly you miss building at night in MP.

Bring on the ****ing survival. I'm done playing home designer and landscaper.

I haven't had a chance to get on the server yet, but whatever. Let's do it.

Monsters will actually make me come back and play the game, so I vote yes.

Goddamnit, I gave my diamonds away. I NEED A SWORD.

Looks like we are going to have monsters.

Once. Will we be able to move spawners?

23 to 4. Looks like the monsters are a-comin'!

You have a week, gentlemen. Prepare your fortresses!

23 to 4. Looks like the monsters are a-comin'!

You have a week, gentlemen. Prepare your fortresses!
Raise your battlements, ready your bow and sharpen your sword. The time of peace has ended, the monsters are approaching. They come from the dark places in our world to strike down our creations. Some say it is a punishment for our pride and shameless dupping. I care not the reason, only that they come, and I will meet them in the dark and silence their incessant moans and rattling bones. But God save us from the creepers, those most vile of dark-spawn who's volatile hatred for all things built upon the earth has the power to render the most lofty towers to rubble.

Fight my brethren! Do not let them prevail!

I got minecraft today

my username is RJMC

how I enter the server?

First, I add you to the whitelist. Then you connect to 85.236.101.67:26165

Two days, gentlemen. I hope you have all prepared your defences.

I've spent the past couple of days playing on a monsters-enabled SMP server, and it's pretty fun. The extra challenge is a good thing. Dying and losing all your stuff, however, is not. So, I shall say this now (and probably make a new sticky, clearing out the old ones a bit. Place is getting messy.)

STASH YOUR SHIT.
Carry chests with you when you go mining. Anything that you don't need to carry with you, put it in the chest.

KEEP SPARES.
Yes, you have your diamond pickaxe, shovel and axe. Make sure you have a few spares of each, stored in chests.

DON'T ASK.
A creeper got you? Sneaked up and detonated on your ass? Too bad. Can I replace all the stuff you lost? Haha, no. Really, no.

Absolutely, I mean, it gives us a REAL reason to build a place to stay safe right?

Hmm, where can I get a quick overview of how monsters work like the crafting page on minecraft wiki. For example how to build a defense against them, where they spawn etc.. ?

Or is it better to just jump into it and sort it out as you go?

They spawn in the dark. That is, there's a specific level of light below which they can spawn. They also won't spawn within a set radius of the player. That's pretty much it. Keep your place well-lit, and they won't spawn within it. Of course, they can still come in from outside...
Doors will stop them, assuming you remember to keep them closed. Cactus will hurt them. They can jump up a single block height.

They spawn in the dark. That is, there's a specific level of light below which they can spawn. They also won't spawn within a set radius of the player. That's pretty much it. Keep your place well-lit, and they won't spawn within it. Of course, they can still come in from outside...
Doors will stop them, assuming you remember to keep them closed. Cactus will hurt them. They can jump up a single block height.

Sweet, easier than I thought that would be :D

This. Last time I logged on was to check our post-apocalyptic world when it got griefed.

Yeah, I haven't played since logging into Pi's server when he told us about it... but haven't touched minecraft since or very much before. I still like the game, the idea of the game... I've just been focusing on other stuff and all that shit that happened before so I've just not been playing it.

Also, the further down you are in the map, the more brightly lit you need to keep it to prevent monsters from spawning.

I'm confused, is there a monster that actually attacks structures? or is the creeper the only thing that can destroy buildings by happening to explode near you when you are near walls? i'd kinda like to see more building hostile monsters if that is the case. Anyone know if there are any plans to add any more?

You got it right - creepers are currently the only monsters that can damage buildings, and even then only if you've let them in, more or less. I don't know what plans Notch has regarding more enemy types, but it would certainly make sense to me.

I believe Notch has plans to add "prefix enemies", for example:
Zombie Cow
Burning Skeleton
Giant Creeper
Exploding Slime

I, personally, would like skeletons that fired fire arrows. Or an enemy that spawned more rarely, but could break (some) blocks.

Indeed. A flying monster of some kind would also be grand. I am liking the possibilities of this game.

Back