Moving Out

Geogaddi

Reaction score
Living at home is driving me crazy. I'd really like to get an apartment with my girlfriend (I know many of you would advise against that but I feel confident about it). I suspect we can save enough to make the move by the beginning of next year or a little earlier.

Anyone have any experiences or advice to share on apartment hunting/life?

I had a good experience myself, and the only thing I'd advise is that if you have roommates who aren't neat freaks, see if you can get away without having your name on the rental agreement. If it's just you and your lady, and you're pretty compatible, it'll be f*cking awesome.

I'd rent a house personally since it costs about the same and is usually bigger / better, but that depends on the property for rent around where you want to live.

I'll say it... it's fvcking expensive. Costs add up quickly, you never realize how important that $20 meal at Dennys was. Obviously moving out with a gf can turn sour pretty quickly and it's not a place you want to be in financially. Have a few people in mind that might be your roommates on a short notice if she decides to bail, and always make enough money to pay for rent yourself if you're forced to.

Save your money by living at home as long as you can.

If you aren't saving any money might as well move out and get further into financial slavery. You will never learn lol

My dad always said..."Moving in with friends is the fastest way to destroy the friendship"

I wish he was wrong.

But yeah, prepare to pay out the dick in expenses, and prevent yourself from buying things you don't need for the first couple months.

Good luck, man. I'm getting myself a place after next school year's over- lord knows I need me some (more) freedoms.

Don't live at home if you don't need too.

It's bad for personal development.

Hey if you want to live off your parents that's fine.

I just read a book recently called 'The way of the superior man'. Alot of it is quasi-spiritual nonsense but one principle that really struck a chord with me was: "Live your life as if your father was dead". Now this doesn't mean don't speak to your parents or ignore them. But do what you want to do, make your own way and think 'if my father wasn't around, would I still make this descision'.

I just read a book recently called 'The way of the superior man'. Alot of it is quasi-spiritual nonsense but one principle that really struck a chord with me was: "Live your life as if your father was dead". Now this doesn't mean don't speak to your parents or ignore them. But do what you want to do, make your own way and think 'if my father wasn't around, would I still make this descision'.
So if you have divorced parents and live with your mom, problem solved?

i moved out last week.

****ing win.

do it. you wont regret it.

I'm going to Gothenburg tomorrow to pick up the keys to my new dorm, w00t! Probably won't move out for real until the end of the summer, though.

Moving in with friends presents many opportunities for arguments to arise. Everything from them never cleaning or doing dishes to not having rent/bill money, thus screwing your credit in the process. Maybe they leave pubes all over the shower, maybe they keep you up from the sound of them humping their girlfriend all night. Moving in with your girlfriend obviously can be even more risky in that there is always the possibility of the relationship going sour. And when it does most people don't want to see that person, let alone live with them.

I signed a contract for my first apartment today actually, its gonna be great! Moving in september 1st, time to get used to the taste of noodles..:thumbs:

Packing tonight, moving tomorrow into a house. Renting ftw.

"Live your life as if your father was dead". Now this doesn't mean don't speak to your parents or ignore them. But do what you want to do, make your own way and think 'if my father wasn't around, would I still make this descision'.
In other words, "if the 'bread-winner' wasn't still around, what would I do?" Sound advice I suppose, but what would one do with his/her own kids once they turn 18? I couldn't do this to my own parents because I'd know I would want the best for any children I might have one day.

To the OP: Where do you live?

In other words, "if the 'bread-winner' wasn't still around, what would I do?" Sound advice I suppose, but what would one do with his/her own kids once they turn 18? I couldn't do this to my own parents because I'd know I would want the best for any children I might have one day.

To the OP: Where do you live?

Precisely. It's hard to analyze what effects these sort of decisions have on ones self in the long term, but one would also have to ask him or herself a second question before making the decision, such as "by doing X, am I acting in such a way that will be detrimental to my short-term, and potentially more importantly, long-term financial (and possibly, thus emotional. Who says money <> happiness? I'm loaded for a, just turned, 20 year old, and I'm plenty happy) success and well being?"

Just come home from my Gotheburg where I picked up the keys to my flat. It's alright, but the kitchen stank of garbage, had to clean the ****ing thing myself even though I've never used it.

Living at home is driving me crazy. I'd really like to get an apartment with my girlfriend (I know many of you would advise against that but I feel confident about it). I suspect we can save enough to make the move by the beginning of next year or a little earlier.

Anyone have any experiences or advice to share on apartment hunting/life?

living with someone can ruin the relationship ..it's not as easy as people think. pro-tip: unless you're ready for the next step in the relationship its always best to have a place to escape from the girlfriend ..I mean where are you going to bring the one night stands for some drunken debauchery/sex?

also moving out to get away from the family isnt always the best solution. not paying rent when you're just starting your career is ideal; saving money for anything will always be an issue when you have responsibilities like paying for rent/utilities/insurance etc ..oh and get content insurnace

Back