Music: Rate and Discuss

That's not a review and to answer your question - yes, yes it is :frown:

Nutrocker by Transiberian Orchestra - 9/10

From their new album. It kind of reminds me of Beethovens 5th, the way it just makes the song rock, it doesn't add any stupid sweeping or dragonforce-esque bullshit (it does at the end a little bit). Their whole new album is awesome. December 26th (maybe 28th, can't remember) I'm seeing them I can't F*CKING WAIT.

I saw them twice, once for their Beethoven album and once for one of their Christmas albums. They put on a hell of a show, you won't be disappointed.

That's not a review and to answer your question - yes, yes it is :frown:

Bah, fine then :p. When I posted that, I had just finished my homework after waking up at 4 AM and working on it for ~4 hours straight. So I was all "Yeah!" and then that song came on, and it's such a happy/catchy tune that I was like "I love this song!!!"

Anyhow, if I were to properly review it -- I'm not a particularly huge fan of 8-bit tunes, but all the poppy and/or catchy ones make me happy. They're just so charming and easy to head-bob to. It helps to listen to it when I'm doing something boring (like homework) to keep myself from falling asleep or having a total brain meltdown. 90+ percent of the music I listen to is super mellow so it's nice having something upbeat in the mix.

Dark Dark Dark - All the Things - 9.5/10

Very nice song. It has accordion and piano which is cool, but the best thing is definitely the vocals. The (female) singer has a very interesting voice. I don't know how to describe it. Probably "smoky" but I hate that term for some reason. All the songs performed here are worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r27SIo1bM7g

I actually saw them live (they opened for Why?) and they played this song (which happened to be my favorite from their set). I love their sound.

Edit: I was wrong, this was my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErFwIWfrLY

Bob Seger - Highway Child (Classic Rock)

The Higher State - Automatic Motion (Garage/Psychedelic/Folk Rock) (This single was released for free, but it's not available their page)

These two songs just completely blew my ****ing mind (intoxicated)

I can't waste any more time with more detail

He Poos Clouds by Final Fantasy (Owen Pallet) - 9/10

Fantastic album by a man with many great musical influences including that of Nobuo Uematsu. Think Andrew Bird with more strings, more neoclassical motifs and less whistling. The album has a great balance of beauty and drama. I really love all of it throughout.

It's important to note that Owen Pallet has worked with many great bands in the past few years including Arcade Fire, Beirut and Grizzly Bear.

Here's a video of "He Poos Clouds"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pQl7kye_d8

Social Distortion - Prison Bound [Album]

This is such an excellent punk rock album. A very very accessible album given the genre. These guys inspired bands like The Offspring. In fact, this band caused The Offspring to form a band.

One song from the album
Social Distortion - Indulgence

I saw them twice, once for their Beethoven album and once for one of their Christmas albums. They put on a hell of a show, you won't be disappointed.

Every person I've told has either said "YOU SON OF A BITCH I WANTED TO GO" or "OMG IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME"

I haven't met someone who doesn't like them to be honest.

Every person I've told has either said "YOU SON OF A BITCH I WANTED TO GO" or "OMG IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME"

I haven't met someone who doesn't like them to be honest.

Their shows have FIRE AND LASERS.

I actually listen to them considerably less than I used to. Then again, Christmas is coming so it may be the perfect time to rectify that.

Rush had fire and lasers and explosions, but this has alot more judging from the youtube vids I've seen.

gggggghesjkghdskjghfsdkjg I WANNA GO NOW. RIGHT NOW.

Hey now, Rush is one of the few niche bands of which Canada has safe ownership. Don't take that from us.

Well, plus, TSO doesn't, you know, suck.

Ok, you can go ****ing die right now. Rush is literally the GREATEST band to ever have existed, that includes ALL INFINITE alternate universes, so kindly GO **** YOURSELF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_PDKKc2_A&fmt=18

Hyph Mngo - Joy Orbison
Hot Flush 009

Hot Flush is on to something - see my post about Maybes by Mount Kimbie.

Really, this is all about two-step - the skittery beats, the halfsnares, the percussion, the throbbing sub bass, the smeared vocal samples. But Joy Orbison does something altogether different, changing the mood from sinister to almost upbeat - the rich, thickly textured pads, fuzzy leads, and rolling beat/bassline.
It's almost cheesy, I haven't yet decided on that bit. But it's undeniably sweet, as the beat suddenly kicks in, the pads pulse around the kicks, and the whole 2step riddim clatters on. This is a perfect summer tune, and today makes me feel like summer's finally arrived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZyhB1-Yb4U&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7e-jlzZ5c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuw7tcftAoU&feature=related

Honestly we need more music like this, where they don't give a crap about crazy solos or really hard to play things, but instead just having fun and partying and stuff, it reminds me of AC/DC sort of, where most of their music is just rock and roll and such, his music is about partying, it's good music to just sit and rock out to. I mean I like complicated music and crazy solos as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's good to listen to music where you don't have to think.

/waits for someone to say my taste in music sucks then insult me.

videor

Luke Vibert's new album rocks.

Recently got into him after hearing his name being thrown around for so long. Really good stuff.

That's pretty sick. I've gotta say, I love how UK bass music (Dubstep, Grime, Funky, Wonky) is infecting all other genres. Because then you have really excellent producers doing their own take on the genre/style. Like this song

WU-UM WU-UM WU-UM WUMMMMMM

Explosions In The Sky - Your Hand In Mine. Absolutely THE BEST Explosions song and almost never fails to make me cry.

As a prerequisite of posting in this thread, you must expand upon your rating with, at the very least, a brief paragraph as to why you delegated it said rating. You must discuss, analyse, and critique – “I liked it” is not sufficient, and any posts that do not meet this criteria will be deleted.

Yeah.

I guess I just won't post here. Although, technically, can't a paragrah really be any length?

I posted that in response to Deathmaster posting just a youtube link and nothing else.

Deadmou5 - Soma

Hmm, I'm not sure. I definitely like it. But why do I? It's four on the floor club music, identified as "Tech House." I always used to hate this stuff. My electronic music had to be different, weird patterns, noises, constantly changing. But this is nice. Basic build up, break down stuff. I just don't know.

I'd just like to add that today it's 30 years since the release of my favourite album, London Calling by The Clash.

London-calling.jpg

That is all.

**** Buttons - Surf Solar

I think, next to Sunn, these were my favourite act at ATP. Droning glitchy noise should always be played at 2am to a hot packed out room. My ears are still ringing.

Alexisonfire - Accidents

I used to hate music like this (IE the majority of rock) but lately I have been finding more and more rock bands that I like (3 Doors Down, Thrice, Trapt). This bands name has been thrown around occasionally in my school for a while and I decide to give them a listen (especially after I found the song Artist in the Ambulance by Thrice recorded over the video of Accidents. Its strange and new, yet I can't stop listening to this one song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSKIB9t0Bo

In summary: Cavalry likes the music he refused to like when Sheepo recommended it.

Back