My Next Desktop Computer (Newegg.com Wish List)

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot-Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg - Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot-Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg - Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 304
Are you recycling the CPU from an older system or just haven't decided yet? Also, I would recommend avoiding Sapphire cards if you can, as they have horrible customer service. Go with Visiontek, HIS, or Asus for a 4870 if you can.

What? The CPU is on there.

Also, I added an attachment in case the link doesn't work.

Ah, I see it now. I swear it wasn't there when I first looked. Looks good aside from what I mentioned about the video card. I have a very similar system running off a 600w PSU, so you shouldn't have any problems there unless you plan on going crossfire later on.

Also, I added an attachment in case the link doesn't work.
You're the "sup-Mod" make it work.

Looks great.
If I may add my two cent recommendations: Go up the wattage on PSU (You don't want be close to peek of PSU.) If you're thinking of benchmarking, buy instead 4x1GB modules, otherwise, since they're $55.00, add another pair of 2x2GB modules. Also, when it comes to MB, I like Asus, but that's me, and for no reason.
Other than that, everything is pretty good.

Good Luck.

If I may add my two cent recommendations: Go up the wattage on PSU (You don't want be close to peek of PSU.)

I doubt he'll be anywhere near maximum draw with those specs. My friend has a 450W PSU with the same processor and video card and hasn't had any issues.

That zalman PSU should be good. Although if you want to save a bit more (20 MIR), gain a bit more +12v power (120 watts), quieter (10 dB less or so) and 5yr warranty then you could pick up this corsair unit.
The Corsair unit is not modular like the Zalman one though (cables disconnect).
corsair review
zalman review

The Zalman is a quality unit. Just not as good of a value assuming you don't need modular cables.
Are you recycling the CPU from an older system or just haven't decided yet? Also, I would recommend avoiding Sapphire cards if you can, as they have horrible customer service. Go with Visiontek, HIS, or Asus for a 4870 if you can.
I've heard similar things about their customer service. Reliability is good though. (ATI cards under the ATI brand are actually made at Sapphire factories.)
Visiontek has good service.
I bet Asus and Gigabyte have good service as well.

I changed the video card to the Asus EAH4870 DK. It's more attractive, has an extra year on the warranty, and is currently only $10 more (providing I get the mail in rebate). We'll see how things go in the next few months.

Still can't decide on a case. I want something mostly aluminum and solid, but everything is either overpriced or has a bad internal design.

You honestly think HIS is better? My x1950 was an HIS card.

Granted, I wasn't able to RMA it because I was beyond warranty, but still... they're from some country in Asia and I couldn't even find out HOW to RMA it if I needed to.

Anyway, good luck on your build Atomic Spark!

Many of your components look like the ones I got.

I think people liked HIS because they were OCed and had good 3rd party coolers installed on them already. Not because of their quality.

I probably won't be going with G.skill memory again, couldn't help but notice it in your build. The damn stuff absolutely will not run on the timings that were advertised even with perfect voltage settings, they also seem to create crashes whenever I OC any other component.

I probably won't be going with G.skill memory again, couldn't help but notice it in your build. The damn stuff absolutely will not run on the timings that were advertised even with perfect voltage settings, they also seem to create crashes whenever I OC any other component.

Check your motherboard's supported memory list. If a motherboard doesn't have a "profile" or what have you for the RAM, it will default to the standard timings. You'll have to manually set them in your BIOS (if it's snazzy enough to let you).

whats ur current build?

Check your motherboard's supported memory list. If a motherboard doesn't have a "profile" or what have you for the RAM, it will default to the standard timings. You'll have to manually set them in your BIOS (if it's snazzy enough to let you).

then it will a really great upgrade...I just hate to see people going from 88/260 to the 295 these days what a waste....people that have a DX10 card should not waste their money until Dx11 comes out,all though I can't speak for ati owners

Take a look at the Cooler Master HAF case. I've got the same thing, only an extended ATX size, and the internal design is great. Plus its cheaper than the Lian Li case. Its probably the best case i've owned. The biggest consideration is the psu location though. Being on the bottom, it will be a bit different, but for me, I preferred it that way due to my motherboards design.

Being at the bottom is the "new thing". The PSU will take in less hot air at the bottom of the case and be more efficient/last longer. However, I've usually only seen this in full towers.

Recession? What recession? Sorry if this sounds rude, but how can you afford to spend so much on something as unimportant (in the grand scheme of things) as computer parts?

Although, I did have a quick glance and yeah, it all does look quite sexy. :D

The recession only affects people who lose their jobs. As long as you still got one, you're golden!

I own the Coolermaster Cosmos, or whatever it's called. It's very spacious and grand, and the easy access to the interior is snazzy.

Recession? What recession? Sorry if this sounds rude, but how can you afford to spend so much on something as unimportant (in the grand scheme of things) as computer parts?

Although, I did have a quick glance and yeah, it all does look quite sexy. :D

If you honestly believe that the economy is down, not spending money is the worst thing you could do.

If you honestly believe that the economy is down, not spending money is the worst thing you could do.

Yeah, I know the whole "wanting us to spend" sort of thing, and I hope my post didn't sound like I was trying to start a political debate, I was just wondering how you have $1000 to throw on computers? Still, as I said before, nice set up.

When ever I built a new PC I always told myself I wouldn't spend more than $1000. That was my budget. But I always found a way to upgrade a part or two and spend $200 more than that.

Only with my HTPC build have I actually hit under $600.

When ever I built a new PC I always told myself I wouldn't spend more than $1000. That was my budget. But I always found a way to upgrade a part or two and spend $200 more than that.

Only with my HTPC build have I actually hit under $600.

If I had 200 dollars extra for my computer, I would have gotten an LCD monitor.

Back