My somewhat-near-death experience, and ponies

Companion Cube
Reaction score
38C (100F) is a record breaking temperature, even for what constitutes as inland in the Korean peninsula.

There I was, in the XXth Reg. 13th Batt. trying to walk in full combat gear with 30kg packs on my back. They hadn't given us any water for this training session, because of supply problems (water filteration broken) and instructors being an ass. (They said something about special forces in the northern hellscape part of the peninsula not having to drink any water for 2 days and whatnot -- Apparently no one told him that we weren't Spec Ops.)

I walked, what 14km? in the sun trying to breathe while my head was being devoured alive by my helmet, which was so effing hot that I couldn't touch it. I wanted water so much that I contemplated raiding a fire engine that was passing by. When we marched near a farmstead and a farmer watering her trees, I tried to drink the precious few drops of water that sprayed near us. I don't know how, but we still went and threw grenades in the range, then walked some more. We stopped for lunch, and I ran to get the food containers out of the truck, at which point I blacked out.

Next thing I remember is a major and lt. colonel dragging me inside an ambulance. I was strapped next to the ambulance's M16, as I recall. I blacked out again.

Then I'm in the emergency room of some army hospital, and I have an oxygen mask over my face. A doctor is checking my pulse, which is 160/something, and all my clothes are off. Another doctor is shouting at a corporal because all the ice in the icebox have melted, and if patients die its his effing fault. I see another guy being carried by an NCO for having collapsed come in. I wonder if I'm going to die. I start hyperventilating. I feel too hot. I can't feel my limbs. The doctor does something. I go to sleep.

I dream about home. I can see my friends and family. I wonder if this shit is worth it. I cry.

4 ~ 5 hours later, the doctor says I've recovered, but should rest for the rest of the day. I get back to my unit, hitching a ride in an ambulance. I make small talk with the medic, who is startlingly respectful, calling me by my full rank (officer-candidate + the honorific "nim" which should translate to around "sir" in English) every time he speaks.

I get back. I have a talk with the captain. I loudly proclaim that I am fine and fit for duty. (In retrospect, bad idea) The captain smiles and claps me on the back. I get sent back to work.

The regimental commander seems to have paniced, because suddenly we get boxes of bottled water delievered to us. My buddies thank me for being a weakling. I smile.

At night, I draw fire watch. Because of that, I sleep only 4 hours, until we wake at 0500. 0520, we're marching again in full gear. I walk 7kms until someone notices I'm sweating twice the amount of perspiration. Concerned, the instructors of my battalion pull me out of the group. They strip me down to my underwear and tell me that I should go back home. I panic, and tell them that I'm fine. I wasn't fine, but I didn't want to quit. The regimental commander arrives with an army doctor. I shout that I'm fine and can continue, but he quiets me down. They don't want any chance of anyone dying on their watch, because it's their heads they're concerned about.

I have a quick talk with the doctor. He says I'm not breathing normally. He says I should take a break and come back next year.

8 hours later, I'm back home.

Long story short, my chances of becoming an officer slightly lowered. Review board will decide my fate, anyway. So now I've a lot of free time on my hands. I also have clinical depression, and I'm taking antidepressants and a cocktail of drugs. I'm also watching My Little Pony, because **** it all that happiness and all problems being solved is a paradise and I can actually relate to the problems of animated dancing singing equine animals. Vodka, Lorazepam, and MLP is my new God now. Makes all my problems disappear in a haze of primary colors.

God, I used to laugh at bronies. Now I'm a brony. I've Rainbow Dash colored in enamel paint in the side of my combat helmet. I'm ****ed up. I truly am.

But then again, they tell me I almost died, so new perspective in life. [Fluttershy]yay[/Fluttershy]

Jesus. That's some story, glad you made it out alive.

Anyway, don't be ashamed of what you like or enjoy.

As long as you don't try to explain to us how much you want to touch horse pussy I still love you. Glad you're okay.

You can explain that to me in a PM if you want.

Christ Numbers, glad to hear you're at home recovering.

I don't know what's more sad. That numbers almost died, or that he's come back as a bronie.

Seriously though, I'm glad you're alright numbers. What the **** is wrong with the Korean military? Weakling? You're a ****ing organism and you need water for basic survival, especially given the strenuous circumstances you were in. The mightiest man in the world would have succumb to dehydration, maybe faster maybe slower.

I read this story and all I can picture is you as a stereotypical Korean soldier in the Korean movies I see. It's almost surreal.

I'm glad you're okay man.

P.S. I haven't been studying my Korean. :(

I was sympathetic until the Brony part. Hope you get better and dont suffer too much of a hit on your progress. Do what you can to get back going again, if only to avoid becoming completely engulfed in that stupid ****ing fad.

Haha, well thanks guys. I've forgotten how much I love this place.

The Korean military has always been: Death? PANIC! TAKE PRECAUTIONS! -> Forget about death, forget precautions. -> Death!
It probably didn't help that I was secretly drinking water from the showers when they spray you. Heh. Heat resistance and all that.

I've had a talk with my commander and he thinks I should build myself and rest for a year, because I've automatically failed my grenadier instructor course. They won't kick me out just yet, so I have hope.

And I only like MLP in the same way that I like Spongebob. The latter is more awesome, of course, but both make me laugh.

Another possibility is that I am mentally ill and require psychiatric help. You might never know; lorazepam does significantly lower libido and it might be the only thing keeping me from raping miniature horses. This is a joke.

Raziaar: Yeah, well, it is an awfuly hard language for westerners to be honest. But practice makes perfect. :p

Glad to hear you're ok. I can't understand why you would want to stick with the military, being one of us nerds and all.

BP.jpg

Please do not drink on that lorazepam. You may black out again, but this time never wake up.

That sucks nums. They really should've had some kind of water for you.

38C (100F) is a record breaking temperature, even for what constitutes as inland in the Korean peninsula.

There I was, in the XXth Reg. 13th Batt. trying to walk in full combat gear with 30kg packs on my back. They hadn't given us any water for this training session, ... We stopped for lunch, and I ran to get the food containers out of the truck, at which point I blacked out.

But you were overexerting yourself! You could've leisurely lumbered...

DEATHMASTER I kinda don't know anymore.

Trying to prove myself to myself doesn't seem to be the greatest idea I've ever had, now that I think of it.

Please do not drink on that lorazepam. You may black out again, but this time never wake up.

I've looked this up, and

Alcohol is one substance that uses part of the receptor which the benzodiazepines use and if alcohol is taken in conjunction with the benzodiazepines then a heightening of the effects of the benzodiazepines is made in a synergistic way. Although overdoses of benzodiazepines alone are rarely fatal, combinations of benzodiazepines with alcohol are dangerous and toxic. Physicians have been warned in the standard prescribers guides (British National Formulary; MIMS) issued to all doctors and required to take special precautions when prescribing benzodiazepines to patients who use alcohol.

Oh.

God damn it.

Was going to say this. Be careful with that shit, it's not as dangerous as drinking with certain other drugs (nearly lost my dad because he was dumb enough to pop a sleeping pill after drinking, that wasn't pretty), but definitely exercise some moderation. Also, how long and how frequently have you been taking it, if you feel comfortable saying so? If you become dependant on benzos they can be a real bitch to kick.

Edit: Also glad you didn't die and stuff!

Glad to hear you're alright. Don't mind the brony hate; it's a legitimately enjoyable cartoon, even without prescription painkillers.

Major respect for being a suicidal fool and trying to keep going. As bizarre as that sentence is I sincerely mean it. Glad you're recovering.

HL2netters need to stop almost dying.

Glad you're alright though, just don't get too attached to the Ponies.

I know you've always been very passionate about the whole idea of being in the military and fighting commies, but I think you should take this as a hint that maybe you're body isn't "built" for military life. Granted I'm biased against the military, but still.

Also as it has already been suggested, easy on the alcohol and drugs combo.

Christ, that was some story.

Glad to hear you made it through. I have to ask though, even if you're physically able to go through all that military shit, is it worth the physiological problems? I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but maybe this experience should act as a wake-up call that you would be better off choosing other paths to go in your life beyond the army.

If the options are limited in South Korea, maybe you should try your luck somewhere else, perhaps in the West. Your English is impeccable and I figure you have pretty high grades, so you have a good chance emigrating. Not an easy thing to do, I know, but the life you're currently leading doesn't seem to make you happy. And isn't that the whole purpose of existence, when it all comes down to it?

Glad to hear you're alright. Don't mind the brony hate; it's a legitimately enjoyable cartoon, even without prescription painkillers.

To toddlers. It doesn't have sophisticated appeal that spans all ages like Animanaics or other shit!

Christ, that was some story.

Glad to hear you made it through. I have to ask though, even if you're physically able to go through all that military shit, is it worth the physiological problems? I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but maybe this experience should act as a wake-up call that you would be better off choosing other paths to go in your life beyond the army.

If the options are limited in South Korea, maybe you should try your luck somewhere else, perhaps in the West. Your English is impeccable and I figure you have pretty high grades, so you have a good chance emigrating. Not an easy thing to do, I know, but the life you're currently leading doesn't seem to make you happy. And isn't that the whole purpose of existence, when it all comes down to it?

I second that man. Come to my area of Texas! We have a huge population of Koreans here!

Dallas, Texas

A sizable Koreatown can be found in Dallas, though this mostly commercial area of the city has not been officially designated as such.[25] Dallas has the largest Korean American community in Texas and second (to Atlanta) in the Southern US. Instead, large signs situated at the intersection of Harry Hines Boulevard and Royal Lane proclaim the area as the Asian Trade District . The signs also feature depictions of a red and blue "taeguk," a symbol that is prominently featured on the national flag of South Korea, thereby acknowledging the specifically Korean affiliation of the district. This area in the northwest part of the city is characterized by a large number of Korean-owned businesses serving the city's sizable Korean American community. Although, Korean business is undoubtedly the most dominant in the area, there are isolated Chinese and Vietnamese businesses as well.
The Korean entertainment district is centered around the Super H-Mart in Carrollton, Texas a suburb of Dallas. The district's latest addition is the massive 140,000 sq ft Spa Castle.

Well, as you guys say, I really just might emigrate. Or at least go to an American/UK/anywhere I can communicate university for graduate school. Possibly computer sciences. Economics, my major, has largely failed me and I don't know what I would do in the future.

I'm seriously reconsidering going full career after my mandatory service -- I figure that this Republic would survive without me, but possibly not vice versa. I'm not as fit as I thought I was. I guess I'm a nerd in both heart and body after all. :p

One of my superiors always said that it looked like my mind and body were fighting each other: he said my mind wanted to go on, but the body refuses -- and the mind won every time. Except this time.

Oh and my lorazepam medication is strictly prescription, heh. 0.5 mg in the morning and 1mg at dinner. Been taking it for 3 weeks now. The first few days I had awful side effects (memory loss of entire day, etc.) but I got used to it I guess.

Wasn't implying that you weren't taking it per prescription, but that makes no difference to the drug's effect on you. Benzos build up a dependence relatively quickly, and after that it can be a pain to get off them. Did your doctor give you any indication of how long he wants you to continue taking them? Don't want to make you more anxious about this stuff but it's worth educating yourself a bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam

In any case, you're on a relatively low dosage at least. I was on 3x 1mg a day for a week or so once and it felt like I was walking around wrapped in cotton balls. :v

Gawddamn Numbers. Gawddamn.

Stay alive man.

heat stroke

It was 118 F here the other day (47.77C)

The place I live is among the only areas in the country to escape this year's heat wave. I doubt it was above 80 degrees more than a handful of times this summer. The record is 87 degrees. I'm not looking forward to moving somewhere that doesn't have such an agreeable temperature range.

What was your internal body temperature? The one time I didn't drink enough water before a forced march, I shot up to 107 and almost got some brain damage. Extremely unpleasant experience. Pound that water, man.

They were risking everyone's lives making them march with no water.

The place I live is among the only areas in the country to escape this year's heat wave. I doubt it was above 80 degrees more than a handful of times this summer. The record is 87 degrees. I'm not looking forward to moving somewhere that doesn't have such an agreeable temperature range.
Well we escaped it too. 110's is a typical summertime high temperature for us. It's actually been cooler than normal this summer. Lots of rain from monsoons.

Wow, glad to hear you're okay, Numbers. I say don't be discouraged if you do choose to leave because of this (or if you're discharged); it just means it was never meant to be. I don't know what else you might be going through, but hang in there. You're one of the most universally respected members here. I'll bet you've got a lot going for you in whatever you do.

Organize a self defense militia of fellow citizens and use the training you've received thus far to train them. Better to be self sufficient than depend on the state. Be armed!

You're one of the most universally respected members here. I'll bet you've got a lot going for you in whatever you do.

It's because he Asian, isn't it? GOD DAMMIT Mutoid! Cut the racism!

:D

Back