N. Korea declares "Total Confrontation" with S. Korea, S. Korea goes DEFCON 2

Companion Cube
Reaction score
... can't find any english articles on this (haven't searched much) so I'll get back to you tommorow (roll call time).

Currently, the most searched keyword on the Korea internet is "War with North".... :/

Damn commies.

edit: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/18/koreas-tensions-011809/

SKorea army on alert after North's military threat
By JAE-SOON CHANG, The Associated Press
3:46 a.m. January 18, 2009

South Korean tourists walk by display of North Korea's Scud-B missile model, center, and other South Korean missiles at the Korea War Memorial Museum in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Jan. 18, 2009. South Korea said its military forces remained on alert Sunday a day after North Korea issued a statement pledging "an all-out confrontational posture." (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man) - APSEOUL, South Korea — South Korea said its army remained on alert Sunday, a day after North Korea threatened military action in response to Seoul's hard-line stance against its communist regime.

The latest harsh rhetoric from the isolated regime appeared aimed at heightening tensions on the divided peninsula and could be a test for Barack Obama days before he is sworn in as the new U.S. president.

The North's Korean People's Army called South Korean President Lee Myung-bak a "traitor" and accused him of preparing a military provocation, according to a statement carried Saturday by the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency.

Pyongyang said it was adopting "an all-out confrontational posture" and warned of a "strong military retaliatory step." South Korea immediately put its forces on alert.

Seoul's Yonhap news agency reported Sunday that the South has significantly beefed up forces along its heavily armed land border with the North and near their disputed western sea border. But the presidential office and the Defense Ministry denied the report.

A Defense Ministry official said Sunday that the South's military will remain on alert, though there were no unusual moves by the North's forces. The official spoke on condition of anonymity citing department policy.

The North has issued similar threats in the past in anger over the hard-line policies Lee has implemented since taking office last year. Lee ended previous administrations' unconditional aid to North Korea, but has also called for dialogue.

Saturday's threat from Pyongyang appeared more serious, however, because a uniformed military officer – flanked by military unit flags – read the statement instead of the usual television newsreader.

Analysts said the North's latest saber rattling appears to be a negotiating tactic aimed at Seoul and Washington ahead of Obama's inauguration Tuesday in the U.S.

"North Korean wants to draw Obama's attention," said Kim Yong-hyun, a professor at Seoul's Dongguk University.

Kim said Pyongyang is trying to use raised tensions to make a case for its long-standing demand for a peace treaty and establishment of diplomatic ties with Washington – the regime's top foreign policy goal.

South Korea, the U.S. and three other nations have sought to coax North Korea – which detonated an atomic device in 2006 – to give up its nuclear program by offering aid for disarmament. The pact has been deadlocked over how to verify North Korea's past nuclear activities.

Despite the impasse, Seoul's deputy nuclear negotiator has been visiting the North since Thursday. The trip – the highest-level visit to the North in a year – was seen as an indication Pyongyang has not abandoned the disarmament pact.

Nuclear envoy Hwang Joon-kook and his team visited the North's main nuclear complex at Yongbyon on Friday. They will hold talks through Monday before returning home, said presidential spokeswoman Kim Eun-hye.

The two Koreas have been separated one of the world's most heavily armed borders since a three-year war ended in a truce in 1953.

Ties warmed significantly following the first-ever summit of their leaders in 2000, but the reconciliation process came to a halt after Seoul's conservative, pro-U.S. leader Lee came to power last year.

So what the Zerglings from the north are gonna swarm down south? Meanwhile the Terrans from the south are going to require more minerals for the war effort? It's a race for the nuclear missiles that require MOAR MINERALS!

WAIT hold on just a second here. You mean to tell me another failed foreign policy with the Bush administration? For a while I thought they were actually dismantling their stuff. Now they are back at it again?! Poor Obama man, he's got a lot of shit to fix. :bonce:

Im tired of North Korea's shit already. Stop being such pussies and finish the war that you've started! :D

WAIT hold on just a second here. You mean to tell me another failed foreign policy with the Bush administration? For a while I thought they were actually dismantling their stuff. Now they are back at it again?! Poor Obama man, he's got a lot of shit to fix. :bonce:
I don't really see why the US president should be held responsible for this.

Whaaat? Why would they do this? Crazy.

I wonder if they'd lose a war on account of their state for the last fifty years.

The BBC about it. Just loud words if you ask me. Prolly there is some unrest because of Kim being almost gone.

If North Korea uses nukes, it may be the end of their country. You think? What do you think the world would do? Stop feeding them? Nuke them back? Wouldn't the fallout from nukes dropped on South Korea harm the North shortly thereafter? (not that this would deter them)

If N. Korea uses nukes, the rest of the world will nuke them so hard their country will be uninhabitable for the next 150 years.

I don't really see why the US president should be held responsible for this.
President Bush got N. Korea to a state that it was shutting down and taking apart it's nukes. They did so well that we started food drops for them again. If they do anything, I'm sure that the real Zerglings would be China. You don't **** with China. ;)

I look forward to the collapse of North Korea, I doubt China will bail it out this time.

Just out of curiosity, who has NK's back? China only (if even them)?
How much of a chance does the South have? Do they have nukes too?

Just out of some humanitarian in me, if anyone nukes them, nuke their rich and military districts. The poor people are f**ked enough.

Just out of curiosity, who has NK's back? China only (if even them)?
How much of a chance does the South have? Do they have nukes too?

Just out of some humanitarian in me, if anyone nukes them, nuke their rich and military districts. The poor people are f**ked enough.
Everybody has ties with China but not even China likes them. You see if N. Korea nukes S. Korea, China will be royally upset because S. Korea does a lot of business with them. S. Korea has nukes as well in fear of the north. Really if N. Korea did anything, China would take them over in 24 hours. Nobody supports them neither because they are a communist country and are very closed in. They tried to launch a nuke as a test and it failed miserably. I wouldn't be scared of a nuke but more of a dirty bomb.

Anybody want to verify this?

Edit:
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/18/koreas-tensions-011809/

Would that happen to be the story in question?

That's the one.

I look forward to the collapse of North Korea, I doubt China will bail it out this time.

Hell, me too.

Everybody has ties with China but not even China likes them. You see if N. Korea nukes S. Korea, China will be royally upset because S. Korea does a lot of business with them. S. Korea has nukes as well in fear of the north. Really if N. Korea did anything, China would take them over in 24 hours. Nobody supports them neither because they are a communist country and are very closed in. They tried to launch a nuke as a test and it failed miserably. I wouldn't be scared of a nuke but more of a dirty bomb.

Wut? We don't have nukes. We tried to make some in the 70s but got stopped by the US. Ok, we did have a massive stockpile of chems that would make Saddam Hussein turn in his grave, but we prolly dismantled all of it 3 ~ 5 years ago.

I kinda wish they'd actually do something, give us casus beli so that we can finally beat back the communists. Of course, everything in the north is focused on the military, but we've got better weapons, even though they may outnumber us 2 to 1 (not counting Reserves/Combat Police).

Dont worry about a thing numbers, I got your back. Nobody ****s with my hl2.net brothers.

I hereby declare the formation of an hl2.net-based International Brigade to fight in the Second Korean War.

I hereby declare the formation of an hl2.net-based International Brigade to fight in the Second Korean War.

Sounds fair, we could have been part of the technological warfare division if the sly wiley commie bastards didn't foresee our might in that theatre so removed all internet capability, and most other forms of electrical infrastructure.

but....but N. Korea's children are starving! Think of the children!

BTW, why hasn't anyone usurped Mr. Ill yet and established democracy?

but....but N. Korea's children are starving! Think of the children!

BTW, why hasn't anyone usurped Mr. Ill yet and established democracy?

Hitler was in power for years, and no one tried to stop him till he invaded poland.

I sometimes wish we could be more like Israel, or the US..... It's pretty tiring hearing "YOU SAHLT BURN IN A SEA OF FIRE AND YOUR CITIES TURN TO ASH!" every 3 weeks or so, and ****ing irritating to see your soldiers die in a 5-year cycle.

Of course, most people murdered by North Korea since 1953 were civillians, most were local police or Combat Police in counter-espionage duty.

Sigh at onesided talking here. Im not trying to say N.K ftw, but I would still like to hear some views(excuses, whatnot) from them two.

ANYWAY

I say we unleash Pi on them

Back