Need help finding out what is going on with my computer.

S

SyphinXero

I am having a major problem playing Halflife in singe player. I have just downloaded the game from steam start it up and the game start like stuttering or somethign when I walk in certain areas or just at random. Now I have shut down the game and am having trouble even turning the game on. I have a pretty decent PC and this is absoluty unacceptable. To help you guys out I will lable my specs

AMD anthlon 64 X2 3800+
2 gig corsair XMS duel stuff
X1900XT 512 MB
Soundblaster x-Fi platinum
74 GB Rator 10000 RPM Harddrive

I guess those are all the specs that would effect my performance. Any help would be wonderful.

SyphinXero said:
I am having a major problem playing Halflife in singe player. I have just downloaded the game from steam start it up and the game start like stuttering or somethign when I walk in certain areas or just at random. Now I have shut down the game and am having trouble even turning the game on. I have a pretty decent PC and this is absoluty unacceptable. To help you guys out I will lable my specs

AMD anthlon 64 X2 3800+
2 gig corsair XMS duel stuff
X1900XT 512 MB
Soundblaster x-Fi platinum
74 GB Rator 10000 RPM Harddrive

I guess those are all the specs that would effect my performance. Any help would be wonderful.
Half Life 1 or 2?

good ol' stutter bug rears it's ugly head
Sound card is the problem seeing as it is sound that causes the stutter
Revert back to onboard sound and report back

Ok I disabled my x-Fi card and now am using my Realtek HD onboard sound card and it still stutter's. I have disabled one core.... I just don't know what to do. My computer play's Elder Scrolls III: oblivion without a hitch and a year old game liek this cannot even move after a while. I will posting the graphics and sound configs I am using

Graphics: 1920 x 1200
6x AA
16xAF
Color Correction Enabled
HD mapping: Full*

Sound: I set It at medium to see if anythign has changed... needless to say it has not.

I have been at this since 7 in the mourning (which was 5 hours ago), I relaly don't think I should have to go through all of this trash even if the game was the best ever .. bar none. I am kinda mad =/.

it has nothing to do with the quality of your computer - it is a well known issue
it's a long shot but try using just one stick of RAM instead of 2
if that doesnt work well it's tough luck really - there was never an answer to the problem, some people had it worse than others (i have it myself but the game remains playeable for me) :(

Ok I disabled my x-Fi card and now am using my Realtek HD onboard sound card and it still stutter's. I have disabled one core.... I just don't know what to do. My computer play's Elder Scrolls III: oblivion without a hitch and a year old game liek this cannot even move after a while.

I think some people have had luck disabling sound via the console.
Is Half Life 2 fully updated?
Maybe re-validating your files will help.

How about use of latest sound drivers? Make sure you have updated drivers for them and your mobo if you have them. Hopefully your visuals are fine and its just sound thats the issue. Theres many odds and ends you can do it try and fix it. Search around on this site and steampowered.com for useful tips. Some people get it this bad, unlucky for them. Alot of hassle but the games pretty awesome to play.

Back