New ‘Call of Duty’ Video Game Reveals Villain as “Leader of the 99%”

I'm pretty sure CoD isn't trying to make a political statement, ever. It has to cater to the lowest denominator in fans.

That sounds like a joke. Seriously? I can't believe this.

That sounds like a joke. Seriously? I can't believe this.

Actually, it sounds stupid enough to be true.

EDIT:

Raul Menendez is idolized as the Messiah of the 99%, yet underneath the surface lurks an insidious mastermind hell bent on global insurrection.

Well what do you know, I was right...

Watch out guys - Apparently having loads of Youtube subscribers means you get access to stupidly powerful military weaponry.

Machinima is going to kill us all!

But on a serious note, I still hate the totally shitty voice acting shown in every one of these trailers. You'd think Activision could be bothered to pay for better actors considering the amount of money they make on each and every game in the series?

The only reason that trailer isn't as bad is because Tony Todd is in it. Plain and simple. That man could narrate a dog taking a shit and make it awesome.

I actually kind of want to play Black Ops II just because of how GDI the future-vehicles are.

I actually kind of want to play Black Ops II just because of how GDI the future-vehicles are.

Funny you should mention GDI, since the villain, the "messiah of the masses" sounds a lot like Kane.

Why the **** would anybody, ever, want to 'celebrate' the Call of Duty community?

Wow, the original article is so...retrograde. Bizarre. Even the term "ruling class" comes across as the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard - I kind of feel a little embarrassed for the author. :(

Anyway, in terms of CoD - Acepilotf14 either hasn't played a CoD game or wasn't paying attention: the Modern Warfare series in particular makes frequent political comment. Said political comment is, as one might expect, incredibly simplistic and really only provides base motivation to shoot stuff in different locales - but hey, it's a war shooter!

It should surprise no one that such dichotomies are portrayed very simply in this style of game, and to some extent that's fair enough. It is worth remembering that CoD is not the kind of game that is well-suited to allocating very significant time to plot exposition, and it doesn't need to do this. We shouldn't necessarily expect it, either.

Also, I can't really say that CoD "glorifies" war as such. That is to say, it's a war-based game... but is the author expecting that the developers are going to attract players to a war-based game, only to then condescend to them about the (blatantly obvious) dangers of war? Players who go for CoD are not looking for a lecture - they are looking for a fun shooting gallery. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's a place for it in our very large gaming landscape, just as there is a place for the more morally complex and plot-laden experiences.

In other words, this scenario should be of no surprise to anybody, and it's worth understanding why rather than just saying "hur hur CoD dumb".

Back