New ALabama governor openly asks for non-Christians to convert

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41149562/ns/politics-more_politics/

"If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.
He wants to be people's sister. Teehee

This is far from a misstep in Alabama, rather it rallies supports and wins elections.

If he believes what the bible says than this is anything but inappropriate. After all, god created us in his image.

It's all there in the bible:

'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. Unless your neighbor isn't a christian, then **** them. I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:18

the bible is so freakin contradictory:

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people

badass3b.jpg

If he believes what the bible says than this is anything but inappropriate. After all, god created us in his image.

So this bullshit he's saying is perfectly appropriate considering the other bullshit he believes. That makes me feel better.

So this bullshit he's saying is perfectly appropriate considering the other bullshit he believes. That makes me feel better.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

This is the state with whose former Governor tried to stop the first forced integration of segregated schools in the south. Progressive bunch, those who've governed that lovely state of ours. It isn't without it's charms, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace#Segregation

Sweet Home Alabama is an awesome song, though. Despite ripping on Neil Young and potentially praising Wallace. Long story. They (Skynyrd), deny it on the grounds of saying "boo boo boo". Also they vibe well with Young now - spotted wearing each others shirts. LOVE the line about not being bothered by Watergate.

Nevermind all that, I've digressed into rubbish. I have a soft spot for Lynyrd Skynyrd - enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQrbo_i2Zw

The sad thing about this thread is that watching that video reminded me that those comcast loving tards at MSNBC have since fired Keith Olbermann......

Its just a political tactic that is umintentionaly and intentionaly used sometimes to get some groups to support that indevidual, christians ussually with them making up more than half our population

The sad thing about this thread is that watching that video reminded me that those comcast loving tards at MSNBC have since fired Keith Olbermann......

I hadn't realised Countdown was cancelled. What a load of balls.

I thought America was a Christian country.

Vaguely. Regular church attendance is below like 40%, I think, and regular churchgoing is essentially the defining trait of a "true christian". My hope is that the numbers will continue to decline until organized religion has virtually disappeared from America, and we can retain some part of our Christian beliefs and values, without any of that religion bullshit. The flipside of that though, is that as there becomes less and less "true christianity", those who still cling to it will grow more and more fanatical.

Only time Jesus ever stepped foot in a Church he started a riot. Think about that.

No it isn't.

I'm not going to stomp on your spirituality or definition of christianity, but it as American christians perceive it, which is all that matters for my point. And solaris, wrong.

Fair play, but whoever goes to church thinking that is the defining reason of why they are a true Christian then they have some serious lessons to be learnt.

Yeah, well I think that ultimately there isn't really any objective "true christianity" at all, every person who views them self as a true christian believes it's whatever they are. In the end I hope that the best features and views that christianity have displayed are the only ones to survive.

I agree completely, there are a lot of things associated with Christianity that I wish would just go, starting with Catholicism in general.

Yeah, well I think that ultimately there isn't really any objective "true christianity" at all, every person who views them self as a true christian believes it's whatever they are.

Exactly. Christianity is a religion of convenience. Don't like some rules? Eh, who cares, change em, but still go around preaching your altered version of that religion as if it were divine truth.
I've come to the point where I think regular Christians are almost just as bad as fundamental Christians. Maybe that sounds like a stretch, but they are really are not that different. Fundamentalists at least discriminate by the book and "follow the rules", as where your casual Christian picks and chooses which parts conveniently fit into their lifestyle and which people they'd like to discriminate.

Problem is though that so many athiests will pick out bits from the Old Testament and say things like 'Why aren't you out stoning gays?' or 'Why are you eating pork?' when the New Testament is what focuses on how a Christian should live their lives, the Old Testament is basically an entire build up to the coming of Jesus, that's really all its there for apart from learning about God of course. Its the Jews who follow the Old Testament, thats why if you went into one of their homes you would see an entire bookshelf full of rule books stating how EVERY part of their life should be done, the Old Testament has NO bearing on how a Christian is to live their lives.

The long and short of it is, a Christian will read the New Testament and strive to be as good a Christian as they can be but at the end of the day, every one of them has sinned, doesn't matter if it was once or a million times, if it was looking at another woman other than your partner in a sexual way or murdering 20 people, they are all sins at the end of the day and that in itself means they cannot enter heaven. Its all down to faith in Jesus, faith in his death and resurrection, that is basically the most important message from the Bible, so whether you are a 'fundamental' or a 'casual' Christian, none of it even comes close to importance of faith in Jesus. Thats why there is no need for Popes, no need for bishops in their fancy robes and certainly no need for the Jews to segregate themselves from the rest of us and follow a pointless set of rules.

Obviously all this will likely be laughable or something to a lot of you on here, but I just wanted to lay down the Biblical truth really, to hopefully address what is required of a Christian.

Problem is though that so many athiests will pick out bits from the Old Testament and say things like 'Why aren't you out stoning gays?' or 'Why are you eating pork?' when the New Testament is what focuses on how a Christian should live their lives, the Old Testament is basically an entire build up to the coming of Jesus, that's really all its there for apart from learning about God of course.

Actually we mostly just do that to Christians who claim homosexuality is an abomination/sin since their Jebus said nothing of the sort. i.e. people picking and choosing which parts of the Bible suit them and their prejudices, as ZT said.

Problem is though that so many athiests will pick out bits from the Old Testament and say things like 'Why aren't you out stoning gays?' or 'Why are you eating pork?' when the New Testament is what focuses on how a Christian should live their lives, the Old Testament is basically an entire build up to the coming of Jesus, that's really all its there for apart from learning about God of course. Its the Jews who follow the Old Testament, thats why if you went into one of their homes you would see an entire bookshelf full of rule books stating how EVERY part of their life should be done, the Old Testament has NO bearing on how a Christian is to live their lives.

The long and short of it is, a Christian will read the New Testament and strive to be as good a Christian as they can be but at the end of the day, every one of them has sinned, doesn't matter if it was once or a million times, if it was looking at another woman other than your partner in a sexual way or murdering 20 people, they are all sins at the end of the day and that in itself means they cannot enter heaven. Its all down to faith in Jesus, faith in his death and resurrection, that is basically the most important message from the Bible, so whether you are a 'fundamental' or a 'casual' Christian, none of it even comes close to importance of faith in Jesus. Thats why there is no need for Popes, no need for bishops in their fancy robes and certainly no need for the Jews to segregate themselves from the rest of us and follow a pointless set of rules.

Obviously all this will likely be laughable or something to a lot of you on here, but I just wanted to lay down the Biblical truth really, to hopefully address what is required of a Christian.

biblical truth as you know it however that's not true of every christian group or denomination; catholics put importance in the OT as well and the NT. to say your pov or version of christianity is the correct one is a matter of opinion

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."
- Matt 5:17-20"

jesus himself put great importance on the OT laws

The OT was a build up to the coming of Jesus, it prophesied this on many occasions. Jesus in this collection of verses is talking about how he himself intends to fulfill these prophesies and indeed, the law, of the OT by leading a perfect life. The fact that he says no one should slack from these laws is his way of saying that no one should slack from the word of God, so of course he put great importance on them. But he knew no one could live in the life God wanted, thats why he did, and sealed a pact with humanity in that belief in him and his work on the cross, would grant them salvation. The entirety of that section is also his slating of the pharisees in that they were misusing the word of God and merely creating their own law to suite the needs of current times.

The OT was a build up to the coming of Jesus, it prophesied this on many occasions. Jesus in this collection of verses is talking about how he himself intends to fulfill these prophesies and indeed, the law, of the OT by leading a perfect life. The fact that he says no one should slack from these laws is his way of saying that no one should slack from the word of God, so of course he put great importance on them. But he knew no one could live in the life God wanted, thats why he did, and sealed a pact with humanity in that belief in him and his work on the cross, would grant them salvation. The entirety of that section is also his slating of the pharisees in that they were misusing the word of God and merely creating their own law to suite the needs of current times.

isnt that exactly what christians are doing (yourself included?)

Actually we mostly just do that to Christians who claim homosexuality is an abomination/sin since their Jebus said nothing of the sort. i.e. people picking and choosing which parts of the Bible suit them and their prejudices, as ZT said.

This. I rather like taking the bible as a story where god ****s people up and Jesus comes along and tells people he was wrong and how to fix all the messes.

isnt that exactly what christians are doing (yourself included?)

Well no I'm not writing new laws at all, I believe in Jesus and follow via his example and the example set by the apostles as best as I can, that's the intention of any Christian. However, this doesn't determine ones salvation, only faith in Christ does, the apostles talk about this time and time again after his death.

This. I rather like taking the bible as a story where god ****s people up and Jesus comes along and tells people he was wrong and how to fix all the messes.

God and Jesus are one and the same so that wouldn't make any sense. Its humanity and its weaknesses that messes up.

Yeah, sometimes humanity messes up and you just gotta drown some bitches, y'know?

That post was mostly a joke, by the way. I know God's tripolar.

Well no I'm not writing new laws at all, I believe in Jesus and follow via his example and the example set by the apostles as best as I can, that's the intention of any Christian. However, this doesn't determine ones salvation, only faith in Christ does, the apostles talk about this time and time again after his death.

But that's exactly what you just did above. You said the old testament doesn't matter any longer when the bible, as quoted above from Matthew 5:17, directly contradicts you.

God and Jesus are one and the same so that wouldn't make any sense. Its humanity and its weaknesses that messes up.

I actually thought it was Lucifer and demons in general, whom harbour an eternal and constantly intense hatred for mankind because of their inherit quality of free will.

Which causes me to beg the question about God or at least theist-based religions in general. If God is so omnipotent and omnipresent, how can evil even exist in the first place? That is of course assuming that this realm isn't constructed for the purposes of testing one's "soul" for an ascension to what turns out to be just another playing field like this one (Like the Hare Krishna faith, Buddhism, Hinduism etc.) like I've assumed from Christianity or Right-Hand-Path religions in general, which seem to always have the goal of either an emotional or spiritual assimilation with a singular divine source.

I'm not asking these questions for the purposes of scepticism, I am genuinely asking you, a Christian, if you can answer or at least have some kind of explanation or theory in response to these questions of mine.

So far for me it's pretty much:

A perfect God could not screw up and allow evil to exist
Evil exists
Therefore God is not perfect

But that's exactly what you just did above. You said the old testament doesn't matter any longer when the bible, as quoted above from Matthew 5:17, directly contradicts you.

Well if you read my post then you will see that I explained what Jesus meant in that statement.

I actually thought it was Lucifer and demons in general, whom harbour an eternal and constantly intense hatred for mankind because of their inherit quality of free will.

Which causes me to beg the question about God or at least theist-based religions in general. If God is so omnipotent and omnipresent, how can evil even exist in the first place? That is of course assuming that this realm isn't constructed for the purposes of testing one's "soul" for an ascension to what turns out to be just another playing field like this one (Like the Hare Krishna faith, Buddhism, Hinduism etc.) like I've assumed from Christianity or Right-Hand-Path religions in general, which seem to always have the goal of either an emotional or spiritual assimilation with a singular divine source.

I'm not asking these questions for the purposes of scepticism, I am genuinely asking you, a Christian, if you can answer or at least have some kind of explanation or theory in response to these questions of mine.

So far for me it's pretty much:

A perfect God could not screw up and allow evil to exist
Evil exists
Therefore God is not perfect

God gave humanity free will, we have the power to make our own decisions and thus we have the power to do evil if we so wish. There would be no point of judgement if we didn't have a choice between good and bad decisions. Not to mention God uses the evil in the world to bring out the good in a much stronger light, for instance the power of the grace of God etc. There was a story in South Africa of this church FULL of people attending a normal service when these bandits broke in and blew away pretty much everyone in there including all the children present, it was a massive act of pure evil but from it came overwhelming goodness, as practically the entire continent was unified from this action, inspired by the immense strength of those who survived, who remained absolute in their faith in God, many converted to Christianity from it.

So, summarized; humanity isn't perfect because we have free will, so would you rather we didn't have free will and thus no choice in life? Also If you went through life without knowing anything bad, could you really appreciate anything good?

Back