New Xbox Won't Have Disc Drive

It says they will use proprietry solid state storage.

So basically, we're going back to cartridges, which makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Makes sense, it will perform better.

Cartridges are many many times more expensive than discs. It's more likely that this means all games on the next console will be purchased through Xbox Live's download service.

I wonder how Microsoft expects this to jive with 30GB bandwidth limits?

Although I don't really mind the graphics of PC games suffering from the old console hardware(my 2.5 year old game machine still runs most games perfectly and todays' games look fine IMO), I think some bigger games like GTA and various RPGs are held back by the 8GB limit of a DVD the 360 is forced to use. Wouldn't mind this new Xbox coming out soon and see how developers respond to the INFINITE STORAGE.

I wonder how Microsoft expects this to jive with 30GB bandwidth limits?

Selling games on USB, and just verifying one actually bought it through the internets? I think always-online DRM makes more sense in a closed-off system like a console than it does on the PC. Especially if it's combined with advantages like those of Steam.

Solid state drives? Awesome, I completely trust Microsoft to make long lasting hardware, so the fact that your data is irreversibly eradicated when a solid state dies doesn't concern me at all.

Well, I imagine they're just replacing the DVD's with USB Flash drives... right? So, they'll probably end up spending a bit more at first, but the cost of manufacturing NAND based flash memory is dropping incredibly quickly. In the long run it seems to be a viable option. Plus, they won't have to deal with the constrictions of the media once games become too large (e.g. Mass Effect 2/3 with two discs).

Now thats interesting. More space will hopefully mean bigger/more detailed games and close the gap between PC and Xbox and if we're really luck reduce the size of the HUGE first person weapon models we've seen in more recent FPS games.

Solid state drives? Awesome, I completely trust Microsoft to make long lasting hardware, so the fact that your data is irreversibly eradicated when a solid state dies doesn't concern me at all.

Krynn keepin' it real.

lol, i guess game discs can't be scratched if there is no disc drive.
gf microsoft

Losing all your stuff as it ages has always been a part of consoles.

Well if you know that's what you're getting and you pay for it and you're happy in that knowledge then yes, that is totally ok. I'm pretty sure most people who buy consoles are not expecting to be using them again once the next generation rolls around. If you're worried about being still able to play everything you buy then make sure to buy everything on the PC DRM-free and make loads of backups and don't be complaining when a system that is understood by everyone to be closed doesn't give you the freedom to back up your stuff.

I think you're drawing a lot of assumptions about consumer response from how you personally understand console gaming. Make all the appeals you want to preexisting information and historical precedent, most people are still going to be pissed when their data is unrecoverably damaged, and they're going to wonder why safeguards weren't put in place to handle an event so obvious and inevitable to the manufacturer.

Remember when all the original Pokemon cartridges' batteries died and everyone lost their saves and Ninendo was boycotted for not having the foresight and then they collapsed from negative consumer sentiment?

What happened in that case was a minority of the most nerdy demographic got a little upset and said "oh well". That is all that will happen in this case once those SSDs go too.

And also the use of the word "interchangeable" makes it sound like there will be some sort of way to move files around between consoles and back up your stuff anyway. At least it does to me.

I should probably point out that I didnt even read the OP's link, and went off Kaszymond's post, and assumed he meant a solid state hard disk drive for storing information on the console itself. If they're just talking about putting games on, like, mini SSD drives with a hotswappable port on the console itself, then thats different than what I was thinking.

Also, I can guarantee you that most customers DONT know what they're buying. I work for a company who repairs consoles, and you'd be amazed at how many people don't know how common the RROD is, and how pissed off they get over it. We fix probably 500+ RRODs a month, and only a handful of customers I've checked in know what is happening when they explain the issue they're having to me. More than a few people I know, friends, family, and customers have abandoned the 360 for the PS3 because they've experience multiple hardware failures with the 360. So to say that people know what they're buying into when they buy hardware like this is an absurd assumption.

Make way for a small onboard SSD and $15 per month Diamond level xbox live with cloud storage.

That or an external disc drive for backwards compatibility.

"Losing all your stuff" will only be a matter of re-downloading it, anyway. Cloud saves are already in for Xbox 360, albeit with limited space (upgrading that will no doubt be an opportunity for them to sell us more "premium" content), and it already tracks all the games and DLC you've bought through the marketplace so you can re-download them later. The interface to look at past purchases could stand to be a lot more intuitive, though, at the moment you have to scroll through a filter-less list of everything you've ever downloaded, including free demos and trailers and whatever. Unless, of course, you already know every individual piece of content you've bought and can just go directly to its marketplace page. Still, a more Steam-like system of listing all your purchases would be nice. Actually, if they're moving towards digital over disc-based content, their whole interface needs to be radically changed, but they probably already know that.

What was I talking about again?

Likely to go with a Playstation 4 if the rumors end up being true (and the price isn't too ridiculous.)

Might buy one a couple of years after launch when the price drops (actually what I've done with every console since the 90's).

Why anyone would go for a Microsoft console is a question I've wondered for a long time.

I got a 360 because I had an Xbox and wanted to play my old games. HAHA GUESS I ****ED UP THERE.

Also the PS3 was like a bajillion dollars here at the time.

The 360 has backcompat over the new model ps3s, though a lot of classic xbox games are still without 360 compatability, which made me pretty sad. I don't like the idea that Sony removed it from the ps3 just so they can re-release games you already have and could play on PSN requiring you to purchase them.

I got a 360 because I had an Xbox and wanted to play my old games. HAHA GUESS I ****ED UP THERE.

Also the PS3 was like a bajillion dollars here at the time.

Pretty much this. I have a huge collection of original xbox games. Too bad half of them aren't backwards compatible. Lot's of good looking PS3 exclusively lately and I wouldn't doubt the PS4 will have just as many (Twisted Metal (s), Yakuza games, MotorStorm etc...). 360 games are all pretty shit and multi-platform.

Edit: I'm sure Gamestop will end up selling codes for downloadable games for people who don't want to use their credit card over Xbox Live still.

Back