Next Team Fortress 2 Update to Bring Major Balance Changes

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
There are many complaints that Valve have started to ignore balance and gameplay in Team Fortress 2 in favour of pushing new weapons and hats but Valve have announced on the Team Fortress 2 blog that the next update will have many weapons rebalances including the removal of gameplay effects from item sets.

Valve having been looking through player feedback, game replays and item equip statistics to determine which weapons are underpowered, overpowered or just not fun to use or play against and are doing some major overhauls of them. The two examples given are the Battalion's Backup and the Dead Ringer.

The Battalion's Backup was considering to be underpowered and underequipped (at less than 15%) and is receiving a major gameplay change in order to make it more appealing: It will now charge Rage with damage dealt, much like it's opposite the Buff Banner, rather than damage received and it will also shield against more damage. The Dead Ringer was seen to be far too popular with about 80% of Spies using it. It's also seen as a crutch for unskilled Spies to use to avoid having to play the game well and is frustrating to fight against. In the next update damaging a Spy cloaked with the Dead Ringer will drain his battery and force him to become visible and vulnerable earlier.

The final change revealed was that item sets will have their set bonuses removed and transferred to items within the sets. Equipping a full set will give a cosmetic effect instead.

I said this was the second blog post. Last week in another post the Team Fortress 2 team revealed that the next update will also include a lot of tweaks to existing maps, and will have "a list of patch notes longer than a stalemate on Hydro", as well as two new community maps: cp_process and cp_standin. Process is a 5 control point map, while Standin only features 3 capture points. Both maps have been relatively popular in the professional/competitive scene at some point.

What weapons would you like to see buffed or nerfed and how?

am I the only one thinking maybe some items aren't being equipped because people want better looking ones and not because of power?

am I the only one thinking maybe some items aren't being equipped because people want better looking ones and not because of power?

Probably just you, yeah. While I'm sure there are a few select individuals who prefer weapon appearances over actual statistical and strategic choices, I imagine it's all about weapon performance for the most part. The examples they provided, including the Dead Ringer and Battalion's Backup, are extremely well justified. The Battalion's Backup has been almost worthless since it's introduction, and the Dead Ringer has become far too much of a must-have for Spies.

the Dead Ringer has become far too much of a must-have for Spies.
The cool thing about this is that nobody ever expects invis watch anymore (ie quiet decloaks) so it's pretty easy to sneak up on people, delcloak right behind them, and get the stab.

I agree with most of the work being done in this post on the SPUF:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3107704

My own personal bias right now is against the mechanics of a great pyro. If someone mains pyro, has all their shit locked down, no class can do much against them, assuming the pyro is in a defensive stance. This is assuming they have a backblast capable weapon.

Back