Niceragua bans abortion for rape victems/women at risk of dying

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
..so in essence a ban on abortion altogether because elective abortions are illegal

the age said:
Nicaraguan MPs passed a tough law today that bans abortions for rape victims and women who risk dying in childbirth.

The tactical vote came just days ahead of the Central American republic's presidential election.

The law was approved with the support of reluctant left-wing legislators who backed it to help their party's leader, Daniel Ortega, a former Cold War foe of the United States, sweep back to power in the November 5 election.

The reform proposals also included jail terms of up to 20 or 30 years for women - and their doctors - who terminate a pregnancy, but legislators put off a vote on that issue, meaning the current maximum sentence of six years will stand.

The Catholic church says allowing abortion in certain cases is an "aberration", and rallied thousands to marches in favor of the change, which puts Nicaragua alongside nations like Chile and El Salvador in imposing a blanket ban.

Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo, the influential former archbishop of Managua, recently urged voters to back candidates "who look after life, who defend life from conception".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world...or-rape-victims/2006/10/27/1161749284400.html

the catholic church needs to stfu ..****ing idiots will be responsible for the deaths of thousands (along with the governemnt of ortega). ****ing sick of religiously imposed false morality that cares nothing about the people affected but rather the preservation of their own retardedly antiquated ideology.

Screw the people that say humanity is progressing. We may be advancing technologically, but socially we're completely backward.

Screw the people that say humanity is progressing. We may be advancing technologically, but socially we're completely backward.
So in total, we're still at the same scale as 2,000 years ago :p

I am willing to bet that any of those mps were made pregnant through rape/partner was made pregnant through rape, they would damn well repeal that law on the spot, yet are prepared to force others through it. ****ing retards.

just like stern said,it's because of the power the Catholic church wields over the people

The world's in a sad state when South Dakota is more backwards regarding civil rights than Nicaragua...

the catholic church needs to stfu
Stern, stop ****ing steriotyping you close-minded bastard. I'm sick of you insulting Americans with your stupid comments and assuming everyone who is against abortion is Catholic is ****ing stupid.

..****ing idiots will be responsible for the deaths of thousands (along with the governemnt of ortega). ****ing sick of religiously imposed false morality that cares nothing about the people affected but rather the preservation of their own retardedly antiquated ideology.
Stern, although I agree that abortion should be available in the case of the mother possibly dieing those casses are not common and most of the time there is only a very small risk. You make it seem as if this is going to lead to an untold body count.

Although I am against abortion in general banning it completly is quite idiotic, you can legaly kill someone in self-defence, why not an abortion?

well atleast most people can read in South dakota....The people in Nicaragua aren't so fortunate.

Stern, stop ****ing steriotyping you close-minded bastard. I'm sick of you insulting Americans with your stupid comments and assuming everyone who is against abortion is Catholic is ****ing stupid.

? have you lost your senses? what the hell are you talking about? I was specific to the catholic CHURCH not catholics ffs ..and since when is niceragua in america?

Stern, although I agree that abortion should be available in the case of the mother possibly dieing those casses are not common and most of the time there is only a very small risk. You make it seem as if this is going to lead to an untold body count.

they estimate 400 a year ..that's pretty high for something that is preventable ..and no it's not uncommon

the Age said:
the law would be a death sentence for the some 400 women who suffer ectopic pregnancies in Nicaragua each year.

...oh btw do they take into account those babies that are born with some debilitating disease that ensures that their quality of life will be next to non existant? ...although I'm sure you'll say that's uncommon too ..right? well let's just say it's not all that uncommon, in fact you know of at least one member of these forums who had to endure that ..and if the laws in niceragua were the same in canada my life would have been that much harder ..so think of the people affected instead of how it affects you

=CptStern;2082743..****ing idiots will be responsible for the deaths of thousands (along with the governemnt of ortega). .
Stern, you of all people should know that Ortega hasnt been in power since 1990, I wonder why........
From the moment the Sandinista revolutionaries overthrew the US-supported Somoza dictatorship in 1979, Washington was concerned about the rising up of that long-dreaded beast -- "another Cuba". This was war. On the battlefield and in the voting booths. For almost 10 years, the American proxy army, the Contras, carried out a particularly brutal insurgency against the Sandinista government and its supporters. In 1984, Washington tried its best to sabotage the elections, but failed to keep Sandinista leader Ortega from becoming president. And the war continued.

In 1990, Washington's electoral tactic was to hammer home the simple and clear message to the people of Nicaragua: If you re-elect Ortega all the horrors of the civil war and America's economic hostility will continue. Just two months before the election, in December 1989, the United States invaded Panama for no apparent reason acceptable to international law, morality, or common sense (The United States naturally called it "Operation Just Cause"); one likely reason it was carried out was to send a clear message to the people of Nicaragua that this is what they could expect, that the US/Contra war would continue and even escalate, if they re-elected the Sandinistas. It worked; one cannot overestimate the power of fear, of murder, rape, and your house being burned down. Ortega lost, and Nicaragua returned to the rule of the free market, striving to roll back the progressive social and economic programs that had been undertaken by the Sandinistas. Within a few years widespread malnutrition, wholly inadequate access to health care and education, and other social ills, had once again become a widespread daily fact of life for the people of Nicaragua.

Each presidential election since then has pitted perennial candidate Ortega against Washington's interference in the process in shamelessly blatant ways. Pressure has been regularly exerted on certain political parties to withdraw their candidates so as to avoid splitting the conservative vote against the Sandinistas. US ambassadors and visiting State Department officials publicly and explicitly campaign for anti-Sandinista candidates, threatening all kinds of economic and diplomatic punishment if Ortega wins, including difficulties with exports, visas, and vital family remittances by Nicaraguans living in the United States. In the 2001 election, shortly after the September 11 attacks, American officials tried their best to tie Ortega to terrorism, placing a full-page ad in the leading newspaper which declared, among other things, that: "Ortega has a relationship of more than thirty years with states and individuals who shelter and condone international terrorism."[5] That same year a senior analyst in Nicaragua for the international pollsters Gallup was moved to declare: "Never in my whole life have I seen a sitting ambassador get publicly involved in a sovereign country's electoral process, nor have I ever heard of it."[6] Additionally, the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) -- which would like the world to believe that it's a private non-governmental organization, when it's actually a creation and an agency of the US government -- regularly furnishes large amounts of money and other aid to organizations in Nicaragua which are opposed to the Sandinistas.
So the government of Nicaragua that bans abortion is the same one that the USA has spent huge amounts of money and effort in supporting, in order to keep out the lefties.
Seems fair then.

I'm sorry, reading the politcs section usually puts me in a bad mood, maybe I should just stay out. I know this isn't about America but you do use steriotypes a good bit and it's annoying, and then you just go and blame the Catholic church. I also like to think of how it affects the fetus but lets not turn this thread into a right-to-life debate please.

Abortion should be allowed in women who were raped, or who stand a chance of dying.

I'm not a huge fan of going through with childbirth no matter what.

It's more like a bell curve, where we peaked not too long ago.

People have said that for generations, things have always been better just a little while ago. I wonder what you are referring to when you say there some ideal state reached? Can't be anytime last century. Or the one before that. Or that....

Let's invade and convert them all to atheism.

Ahem. Anyway.... I think that this is retarded, and well, retarded.

Let's invade and convert them all to atheism.
Finally some sensible talk around here! :p

This is rather screwed up. Could be worse though--take anywhere is sub-Saharan Africa, for example...please! :LOL:

Back