No more PC exclusives, says Crytek CEO

Thats right, blame your high spec game on piracy, ignore the fact most folk who would buy it cant because their machines aren't NASA super-computers.

Crysis was just bad. Outstanding visuals but lame uninspired narrative, sloppy unfinished netcode and inadequate public development tools sank it, even for enthusiasts. They made, and read this carefully: every same damn mistake they made with Farcry. Perhaps with the exception of licensing deals I'm surprised they even turned a profit. Even IF Crysis scaled enough to be played on a wide range of systems it would still have been a mediocre shooter. Crytek should just be acquired by Nvidia and start developing tech demos.

How can you look at games like Crysis as being anything but a detriment to PC Gaming? Rigid system requirements: check, dated tiresome gameplay: check, non-existent multiplay: check. Crysis is one of those games that veers PC Gaming away from the public and shoves it back towards hardware enthusiasts and niche audiences who upgrade to 500 dollar video cards every few months.

And despite all this, PC Gamer U.S. gave it a stellar review. I'm glad I didn't renew my subscription. Hell, they gave it the same score as Half-Life 2 and one damn percent ABOVE Half-Life. Astonishingly stupid.

wait how do you mean inadequate development tools, cryeditor was great and they released an sdk with exporter plugins for different 3d apps. The ****ing reason I have crysis on my pc is because of the tools.

I'd just like to ask. What part of the game did you find very bad, or too average? Not a great game, but so many parts of the game were amazing to play. They have alot of potential.

I never even played the game only the demo. I don't want to shell $50 for a game that I can barely run med-high settings so I will wait until the hardware catches up. :hmph:

Chu, you can't make staements about Crysis being bad just by playing the demo. And to BHC, I don't understand your statement on Development tools being bad, Creditor pretty much kicks every level designers ass. Why don't you see a few youtube videos on how it actually works. The only issue is that it doesn't support 3d brushes.

And to the people who say the game was utterly bad, you just keep hitting on the reason that Crysis was meant for a niche audience with good pc's etc. You say gameplay was non-existent but I don't see why, it's an open ended game after all and you can either chose your style of playing, offensive or just plain stealth, moving past enemies without attacking. Yes, Crytek's big whine is a pile of shit considering what they have put themselves into, but the game itself has redefined quite a few things. The only other game which had this level of open ended gameplay was STALKER, which pretty much failed more than Crysis when it came to Hardware vs Visuals. Personally, I thought this was the most cinematic of all the games released last year, something that I liked. The usage of physics (sandbox style) in gameplay pretty much beats every other game in that area.

Not to say Crysis is great, it had bugs (which are fixed now), bad gameplay moments (Goddamn General Kyong Boss Fight), possibly a bad ending compared to how the game was pacing up from the start, but nevertheless, there were so many things that were good. The overall combat was good imo (since you got a choice of how you wanted to play your game), the choice of exploring so many areas was good, and I found the overall atmosphere of the game fantastic. The AI battles are fantastic. The nifty little things like little newspaper articles you find around, the radio's that you can tune into, various image artworks etc all contributed to the game. In fact, unlike what many here think, a hell of alot of hl2.netters enjoyed this game. You can see the various Crysis threads if you want.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, defending Crytek and Crysis here, but to say the game is rubbish is bullshit. Even worse, not playing the game and just the demo and saying the game is bad, is bullshit.

/rant

If you can run HL2 you can play Crysis. I don't see what everyone's moaning about.

Then my system is flawed because Episode Two and Bioshock run as smooth as oil at maximum details while Crysis is a slideshow... ;)

Then my system is flawed because Episode Two and Bioshock run as smooth as oil at maximum details while Crysis is a slideshow... ;)
There's your problem. Lower details and put resolution lower than 1600, maybe that'll help... :sleep:

There's your problem. Lower details and put resolution lower than 1600, maybe that'll help... :sleep:

Compared to Half-life 2 and bioshock, Crysis runs pretty crappy for my system. And I can run Half-life 2 and bioshock at absolute maximum settings with good framerate.

For Crysis to be anything good I have to lower settings quite a bit.

And I also never play any games at resolution beyind 1280x1024.

Crysis is not in the same league at all as Half-life 2 and Bioshock in terms of optimized performance code.

In my humble opinion, at lower details Crysis is just another first person shooter. Not to start a war, just a personal thought.

In my humble opinion, at lower details Crysis is just another first person shooter. Not to start a war, just a personal thought.
Your own problem, not the game's. I had this friend who wouldn't play NHL 99 on anything other than max settings even though it was a slideshow. It doesn't mean the game has performance problems.

Compared to Half-life 2 and bioshock, Crysis runs pretty crappy for my system. And I can run Half-life 2 and bioshock at absolute maximum settings with good framerate.

For Crysis to be anything good I have to lower settings quite a bit.

And I also never play any games at resolution beyind 1280x1024.

Crysis is not in the same league at all as Half-life 2 and Bioshock in terms of optimized performance code.
Is that a job title? We need a "code optimiser". No. It has nothing to do with code. Only what appears on the screen.

Bioshock has tiny indoor areas like Doom 3 therefore the dynamic lights etc won't impact performance much. HL2's also just a static lighting engine. If it had dynamic lights on everything outdoors it'd run worse than Crysis.

Oh noes!What are we gonna do for benchmarks in the future?

Played the demo, looked great, but bored me shitless tbh.

It doesn't mean the game has performance problems.

The fact stays: Crysis has high hardware requisites, so it is quite understandable that it will sell less than other games. Have a look at Steam statistics about people specs: the wide mass has mid-range DX9 machines. If I was a marketing director I will strictly adhere to that list to obtain the maximum economic gains. Valve is developing keeping that in mind and... well... we know how Valve is doing ;)

I have a quadcore PC with a 7800gt and 4 gigs of ram. I was playing crysis on 1280x1024 which is the lowest ill ever play a game. I had AA and AF off, and all the other settings at either medium or high. I was getting an average of 25 fps and lower than 15 during gunfights with more than 3 people. My computer is far better than most peoples, and it ran like ass. So unless people shelled out big for DX 10 cards, multi-core processors, and multiple gigs of ram, then there was no way crysis could have been as big a success as they apparently expected.

And you cant really compare the performance of game like bioshock or hl2, because they're totally different situations. Crysis can only really be compare to Crysis. And it ran like ass on even above average systems.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, defending Crytek and Crysis here, but to say the game is rubbish is bullshit. Even worse, not playing the game and just the demo and saying the game is bad, is bullshit.

/rant

What, you expect people to buy the game after playing the demo and forming the opinion of it being shit?

Demos are there for sole purposes of seeing how well it runs on your rig and getting a taste of what to expect when playing the full version.
Unless you're telling us to pirate the game and actually attempt to play through the slideshow, then respect everybody's opinion.

You're obviously trying to force your opinion on everybody, denying that the game is bad.

Crysis was a goddamned screenshot showoff fest. It'd probably be cheaper to buy a camera and fly to somewhere to take nicer pictures than upgrade for Crysis.

What, you expect people to buy the game after playing the demo and forming the opinion of it being shit?

Demos are there for sole purposes of seeing how well it runs on your rig and getting a taste of what to expect when playing the full version.
Unless you're telling us to pirate the game and actually attempt to play through the slideshow, then respect everybody's opinion.

You're obviously trying to force your opinion on everybody, denying that the game is bad.

Huh, i played the whole game, and I'm just trying to say I'm tired of people playing the demo and saying it's bad. Also, I'm trying to defend the game not by saying it's great, but it's not crap either and if you have a good pc, you must play the game.

Huh, i played the whole game, and I'm just trying to say I'm tired of people playing the demo and saying it's bad. Also, I'm trying to defend the game not by saying it's great, but it's not crap either and if you have a good pc, you must play the game.

When people say that the game is bad based off what they played in the demo, then obviously they believe that what THE DEVELOPERS gave them as an example proved that the game wasnt worth a purchase. If its not worth a purchase then its a bad game. The only reason anyone would really like the game at all is for the graphics, which you yourself admit by saying "If you have a good pc you should play it."

I payed fitty for the CE I also bought UT3 and CoD4....so stop looking at me like that!
I pay for my games! :)

I have a quadcore PC with a 7800gt and 4 gigs of ram. I was playing crysis on 1280x1024 which is the lowest ill ever play a game. I had AA and AF off, and all the other settings at either medium or high. I was getting an average of 25 fps and lower than 15 during gunfights with more than 3 people. My computer is far better than most peoples, and it ran like ass. So unless people shelled out big for DX 10 cards, multi-core processors, and multiple gigs of ram, then there was no way crysis could have been as big a success as they apparently expected.
I have a dual core system with 2GB RAM and a 7800GTX card and played it with close to the same settings you did (I believe mine were all set to dead medium... have to check) and it ran well. It is otherwise a pretty basic shooter, but I found the gameplay pretty enjoyable (the 'flying' section was quite fun), and at medium settings it was still gorgeous which made it a "good" game in my book. Compared to Bioshock and Half Life 2, the gameplay, story, etc., Crysis pales, but I wouldn't say it was a "bad" game.

Disclaimer: I like a lot of games that people think are shite, so don't take my word for any of this. :D

I seriously think piracy is overestimated by quite some margin. I would never pirate a game unless it's exceptionally old and hard to find through retail methods.

Same here. You can't purchase old games online, because its usually from a site that you have never heard off, generally fraudulent. There are a few abadonware sites that I trust, and that doesn't come lightly

I actually buy alot of old games too, heck just early this year I bought a rare game from the mid 80s for around 130 euro.

I actually buy alot of old games too, heck just early this year I bought a rare game from the mid 80s for around 130 euro.

Is it a symptom of mental insanity if I buy games that I already own, just to have the Steam version? I know the answer...

Is it a symptom of mental insanity if I buy games that I already own, just to have the Steam version? I know the answer...

The answer is no, you're just willing to pay for the convenience of steam.

Yeah, I'm the same way, 'replacing' many of my hard copies with Steam versions where possible, mostly because games take up way too much space in my home currently, and I find digital distribution very convenient, shame it ain't avaible for consoles(In any large form).

We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis

Because Crysis isn't worth paying for, it's that bad of a game. Never mind the high system specs. Going to console development will only help boost sales because the game will have to run perfectly on those systems. Everyone gets the same experience that way. However people pirate console games like mad anyway.

Chu, you can't make staements about Crysis being bad just by playing the demo.

Uh, yes you can. After all the whole ****ing point of a demo is to demonstrate how bad/good the game is.

Of course piracy is huge that is fact. What I hate is when devs going around crying how their terribly overpriced pile of mediocrity fails come sale time. Especially when it comes to 0-day piracy which is easily avoided by online checks (i.e. no critical files on disc) or by using services such as steam. Yes piracy is a problem deal with it. Make the game experience better for legitimate owner of the game.

Uh, yes you can. After all that's the whole ****ing point of a demo to demonstrate how bad/good the game is.

this.

besides i have no idea what crytek is *****ing about they sold over 1 million copies and that was with problems like:

High specs that NASA can't get a smooth framerate on FFS
Piracy obviouslyas all pc games suffer from this (although they are overstating it by quite a bit)
and it really isn't that far different from the other FPS in the market

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed crysis but more for it's visuals than anything else.

I pirated Crysis, and I'm glad I (well, my flatmate originally) did.
I was very disappointed, even though it ran pretty well on my machine the game was far too short. The gameplay wasn't particularly innovative, the story was definitely so-so and it was a ridiculously easy game even on the hardest settings.

I would have regretted paying for it if I'd bought the game.

Back