no posts in image dump in 2 years

Acepilotf14

Sucked so much dick for this title
Reaction score
so I figured I would just drop this here, I found it while searching through old filehosts. enjoy your nostalgia

ou5tE.png

Banned for spam.

**** YEAH I CAN FINALLY TAKE OFF MY STUPID SANTA HAT! HELL YEAH!

edit: HAHAHAHAHA FREEDOM

Wow, haven't seen that image in ages. Whatever happened to RJMC?

Legend.

I feel like we need a "Welcome back HL2netters!" thread, accompanied by a forum-wide email to every single member inviting them to come say hello...

chaos

i like it

p.s. whose dick do i gotta suck for a custom title

Legend.

I feel like we need a "Welcome back HL2netters!" thread, accompanied by a forum-wide email to every single member inviting them to come say hello...

What are you waiting for?

I could've sworn this forum software sent me an email notification last tim I was quoted!
Good heavens

Oh, pfff-huh-huck! Anybody remember that one time where some of us went into this collaborative-whiteboard-style space and people just drew shit together? I came here to ask this

But now I must shield myself against the flood of memories that is HL2.net in some doorway I've shut in my mind!

I could've sworn this forum software sent me an email notification last tim I was quoted!
Good heavens

Oh, pfff-huh-huck! Anybody remember that one time where some of us went into this collaborative-whiteboard-style space and people just drew shit together? I came here to ask this

But now I must shield myself against the flood of memories that is HL2.net in some doorway I've shut in my mind!
I do remember this... I was there and I remember Vegeta was too, and a bunch of the rest of us. That must have been sometime pre Orange Box, I'm thinking 2005 or 2006. No idea what the whiteboard thing was called but I remember some of the goofy doodles we made.

I see that halflife2.net doesn't redirect here anymore... used that bookmark for a long time.

It's nice to think this place will explode when Valve has a big game release again.

This forum still around? Still no HL3? Yep. I like how the forum looks now though.

This forum still around? Still no HL3? Yep. I like how the forum looks now though.
I knew the end times were upon us as soon as I saw your profile pic on the front page.

Are bulletin-style internet forums still popular in the age of social media? I feel like things like online communities have dissipated with the rise of FB, reddit, and numerous other things.

Are bulletin-style internet forums still popular in the age of social media? I feel like things like online communities have dissipated with the rise of FB, reddit, and numerous other things.
Basically this.

Basically this.

Hmm, that's a little sad, TBH.

I was browsing yesterday because I needed to retrieve information that was in this forum, and took a glance at the front page and noticed how many others seem to also feel the nostalgia, just looking at the first page of The Lounge with variations of "Hey, what's new?"

It seems like people have all followed their respective paths and it is unlikely that we will converge on what was formerly known as HL2.net. It felt a bit painful to recognize that yesterday, and weird, too -- given that communities exist in pretty much every form on and offline. I suppose the reality of moving from an amazing city back home finally set in and in a search for some thing that I needed to find, found how much of an attachment I still have for this place.

I'm sure most people will have moved on and have found alternate venues in whatever form best fits them. I suppose it is the only sensible thing to do. It's nice to see that some of you still frequent this site, if only to occasionally catch the ghosts of those who equally felt a desire to connect :')

Frankly, I think forums give such a fundamentally different experience from those things that it surprises me that this new stuff is so thoroughly edging them out. Reddit is probably the most similar format, but even that is thoroughly different in how its discussions are so fleeting and so focused on momentary, competitive attention grabbing. There's not nearly the sense of a tight knit community or the kind of permanent meaningful discussion forum threads can create.

My favorite musician, Astronautalis (who I first heard on this site), recently released a new album. And I'm thoroughly stoked and interested in it, and several years ago I would've posted about it. I want to talk about things with a chance it might affect somebody or cause a discussion without trying to broadcast myself to the whole world. I might want to hear a specific person's take, or find out I have something in common with someone that actually means something (in terms of the internet) to me. That's something that I don't see myself ever getting from commenting on a video or a blog or rushing to be the first person to post an article or create some meme.

So yeah, I think community is what keeps people haunting this place. People build connections and familiarity, and that lasts long after everybody has left. You mention people finding alternate forms that fit them better and that kind of bums me out, because I don't think I'll ever feel like there's a better fit out there for me.

I feel like the above makes me sound super melancholy and glum about everything, but really it's just more pleasant nostalgia than anything

You mention people finding alternate forms that fit them better and that kind of bums me out, because I don't think I'll ever feel like there's a better fit out there for me
I genuinely also think most of the old school members simply grew up and moved on with their lives. Being an adult with a full-time job, children, hobbies, and other distractions mean there's just no time in the day to load up a forum dedicated to one particular area of your life to talk endlessly about politics, games, etc.

I don't actively post on the forums themselves that much because I fit into 3 of those 4 categories I mentioned, but thankfully the work I do for ValveTime definitely IS one of my hobbies, which keeps me around on a pretty regular basis.

I'm always watching. Apart from when I'm not, but you don't know when that is. Or isn't.

It seems like there needs to be some critical mass of people engaged around some common theme to keep a community alive... I was pleasantly surprised at how long things lasted here well after the Half Life 2 games catalyzed this community into being. I still participate in online forums (no Reddit or "social media"), but they are places where there's still an active community.

I genuinely also think most of the old school members simply grew up and moved on with their lives. Being an adult with a full-time job, children, hobbies, and other distractions mean there's just no time in the day to load up a forum dedicated to one particular area of your life to talk endlessly about politics, games, etc.

I don't actively post on the forums themselves that much because I fit into 3 of those 4 categories I mentioned, but thankfully the work I do for ValveTime definitely IS one of my hobbies, which keeps me around on a pretty regular basis.

I'm sure you're right to a degree, busyness is undoubtedly a factor. But imagining anyone, much less a .netter, simply not having any time to waste on the internet? Hard to imagine. I think it's mostly a momentum thing. This snowball's just finally worn away to nothing.

Frankly, I think forums give such a fundamentally different experience from those things that it surprises me that this new stuff is so thoroughly edging them out. Reddit is probably the most similar format, but even that is thoroughly different in how its discussions are so fleeting and so focused on momentary, competitive attention grabbing. There's not nearly the sense of a tight knit community or the kind of permanent meaningful discussion forum threads can create.

My favorite musician, Astronautalis (who I first heard on this site), recently released a new album. And I'm thoroughly stoked and interested in it, and several years ago I would've posted about it. I want to talk about things with a chance it might affect somebody or cause a discussion without trying to broadcast myself to the whole world. I might want to hear a specific person's take, or find out I have something in common with someone that actually means something (in terms of the internet) to me. That's something that I don't see myself ever getting from commenting on a video or a blog or rushing to be the first person to post an article or create some meme.

So yeah, I think community is what keeps people haunting this place. People build connections and familiarity, and that lasts long after everybody has left. You mention people finding alternate forms that fit them better and that kind of bums me out, because I don't think I'll ever feel like there's a better fit out there for me.

I feel like the above makes me sound super melancholy and glum about everything, but really it's just more pleasant nostalgia than anything

There was a long time that I didn't visit this site (and by long time I mean several months) which is the longest I've ever not even checked the site. I don't really know why, but the lack of other activity on this forum is a factor. Which is unfortunately a self-perpetuating condition. But I hate reddit, facebook, youtube, etc. The conversations there are so meaningless, and out of touch with any humanity. I feel like I'm just talking to faceless bots because I know I'll probably never talk to that person again. I am a part of two other forums which I spend most of my time on, but they're industry related to my work. I have actually met some of the people there in real life and we all have 1000+ posts so its much more like the good 'ol days here.

I remember being an asshole here and sometimes feeling bad about it afterwards. I don't ever feel bad if I am an asshole on youtube/reddit because its such a fleeting instant that gets swallowed instantly by a huge influx of 30 character posts by other people who I've never seen or heard of before. But when I was an asshole here, even if I didn't give a shit about what that person thought, I might feel bad what my friends here would think of what I said.

I look forward to the day when another halflife game is announced and everyone comes back all at the same time, and we can all catch up. I just hope I'm alive when it happens.

Also, I don't like Astronautalis' new album that much, but I haven't listened to it enough to make a real judgment. Pomegranate was great. Our Science is my favorite and I have been listening to it on repeat in my car for like 2 months now.

Last edited:

Willie was the one to originally share Astro with us, I think! He became my favorite as well. My taste in music is pretty much entirely from opening myself up to rap via the easy pathway that was Pomegranate and Yer Good.., -> leading to a great appreciation for lyricism. I really like the new album since he leaned back to that poetic rap instead of alt rock (even though I do like this is our science too). I've been in the situation to go see him live but I keep ****ing it up and forgetting or getting sidetracked.

Reddit doesn't have the community at all, save some very niche small groups. There are some on connected IRCs, but it's mostly a leadin to the real IRC server groups. This place was my first real community since I was so young, but I think I would have a hard time revisiting a forum so often without an active chat. The other two communities I'm still a part of are pretty much solely chats now, even if they grew out of something different. I think chats are really important right now for tighter communities, and Discord getting so huge seems to support that.

The group chat was nice, but steam group chats suck so much. My only real reason for not continuing to go there when it was active was that I hate how it gives the flashing notif every time there's a message, and you can't turn it off without also turning off PM notifs too. Not much embedding youtube or image wise is also pretty ancient. Discord pretty much wins out for keeping groups together right now.

I don't feel much connected to hl2.net, especially after the name change. It's just a nostalgic check every so often. Mostly I just see Willie going having depressive fits on facebook, and I can't help much because I'm also in the same place with a little more expendable income. Age has a big factor into it too, because I blocked out most of the years I was most active. I could imagine for the older folks it seems a little less distant.

Maybe we should make a Discord :eek:
unless that's too trendy
You can add me on b.net for overwatch at Felicity#11283
I play pretty often but not very seriously since it's silly but also I can validate my csgo hitscan practice

Y'all are great and always will be, but where the **** is HL3?

add. edit: i did it i'm the master of dicks!

Last edited:
Willie was the one to originally share Astro with us, I think! He became my favorite as well. My taste in music is pretty much entirely from opening myself up to rap via the easy pathway that was Pomegranate and Yer Good.., -> leading to a great appreciation for lyricism. I really like the new album since he leaned back to that poetic rap instead of alt rock (even though I do like this is our science too). I've been in the situation to go see him live but I keep ****ing it up and forgetting or getting sidetracked.

Reddit doesn't have the community at all, save some very niche small groups. There are some on connected IRCs, but it's mostly a leadin to the real IRC server groups. This place was my first real community since I was so young, but I think I would have a hard time revisiting a forum so often without an active chat. The other two communities I'm still a part of are pretty much solely chats now, even if they grew out of something different. I think chats are really important right now for tighter communities, and Discord getting so huge seems to support that.

The group chat was nice, but steam group chats suck so much. My only real reason for not continuing to go there when it was active was that I hate how it gives the flashing notif every time there's a message, and you can't turn it off without also turning off PM notifs too. Not much embedding youtube or image wise is also pretty ancient. Discord pretty much wins out for keeping groups together right now.

I don't feel much connected to hl2.net, especially after the name change. It's just a nostalgic check every so often. Mostly I just see Willie going having depressive fits on facebook, and I can't help much because I'm also in the same place with a little more expendable income. Age has a big factor into it too, because I blocked out most of the years I was most active. I could imagine for the older folks it seems a little less distant.

unless that's too trendy
I play pretty often but not very seriously since it's silly but also I can validate my csgo hitscan practice

If discord works fine on android yet I'd join. I joined the hl2.net Arma gang on it for a couple days, but I switch computers so many times in a day that it was a pain to remember to keep rejoining. Last time I tried using discord on my phone it every word typed out backwards, which was hilarious but ineffective.

Also if you guys like Astronautalis, maybe check out this guy Sage Francis. His music is very hit or miss, unlike Astro, but I really like some of it.

Last edited:
There was a long time that I didn't visit this site (and by long time I mean several months) which is the longest I've ever not even checked the site. I don't really know why, but the lack of other activity on this forum is a factor. Which is unfortunately a self-perpetuating condition. But I hate reddit, facebook, youtube, etc. The conversations there are so meaningless, and out of touch with any humanity. I feel like I'm just talking to faceless bots because I know I'll probably never talk to that person again. I am a part of two other forums which I spend most of my time on, but they're industry related to my work. I have actually met some of the people there in real life and we all have 1000+ posts so its much more like the good 'ol days here.

I remember being an asshole here and sometimes feeling bad about it afterwards. I don't ever feel bad if I am an asshole on youtube/reddit because its such a fleeting instant that gets swallowed instantly by a huge influx of 30 character posts by other people who I've never seen or heard of before. But when I was an asshole here, even if I didn't give a shit about what that person thought, I might feel bad what my friends here would think of what I said.

I look forward to the day when another halflife game is announced and everyone comes back all at the same time, and we can all catch up. I just hope I'm alive when it happens.

Also, I don't like Astronautalis' new album that much, but I haven't listened to it enough to make a real judgment. Pomegranate was great. Our Science is my favorite and I have been listening to it on repeat in my car for like 2 months now.
Agreed on all non-Astro points. I definitely had some posts I felt bad about, and far more I would cringe at. I think somewhere between total anonymity and real social circles is the optimum place for a strange honest and caring community.

I initially reacted the same way to Cut the Body Loose. One of the things I love most about Astronautalis is how he always raps about interesting stories or topics whereas most rappers seem to rap mostly about themselves and whatever they think, so getting hit with (relatively) more traditional rap and Astro just doing Astro took some adjustment. Once I got through that though it's some pretty great stuff. A ton of beautiful lyrics and musical variety. It reminded me of a lot of DANCEHALL HORNSOUNDS in that you can just tell he was letting loose and having a laugh making it more than some of his other stuff.

unless that's too trendy

I feel like Our Science is probably my least favorite of the big three, though I do like it. The first three songs just kind of run together for me, and the true standouts are when he plays with some pretty new sounds. He just announced a new tour and I'll finally be able to see him in DC. It feels like I've narrowly missed him like four times now. I'm pumped as hell.

I'm down to get into some games, but I've just got a weak ass laptop right now. I never got super into the chat game, Cavalry and Emporius are the only people I ever really talked to, so outside of a game it might be a bit of awkward mixer on my end.

Agreed on all non-Astro points. I definitely had some posts I felt bad about, and far more I would cringe at. I think somewhere between total anonymity and real social circles is the optimum place for a strange honest and caring community.

I initially reacted the same way to Cut the Body Loose. One of the things I love most about Astronautalis is how he always raps about interesting stories or topics whereas most rappers seem to rap mostly about themselves and whatever they think, so getting hit with (relatively) more traditional rap and Astro just doing Astro took some adjustment. Once I got through that though it's some pretty great stuff. A ton of beautiful lyrics and musical variety. It reminded me of a lot of DANCEHALL HORNSOUNDS in that you can just tell he was letting loose and having a laugh making it more than some of his other stuff.

I feel like Our Science is probably my least favorite of the big three, though I do like it. The first three songs just kind of run together for me, and the true standouts are when he plays with some pretty new sounds. He just announced a new tour and I'll finally be able to see him in DC. It feels like I've narrowly missed him like four times now. I'm pumped as hell.

I'm down to get into some games, but I've just got a weak ass laptop right now. I never got super into the chat game, Cavalry and Emporius are the only people I ever really talked to, so outside of a game it might be a bit of awkward mixer on my end.
I think thats what turned me off with his new album, the rapping about himself. Thats what I hate about most Rap and why I think the genre is full of shit. Sage Francis has a bunch of songs where he goes on about how he's the illest and baddest rapper around, and its just puke worthy. I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics on Cut the Body Loose, so I don't know if there was a lot of self-inflation like that, but I'm so turned off by that sort of thing that even if it seems like thats where it might be going I just tune the song out.

Back