Now here are two stories that seem meant for each other

Icarusintel

Reaction score
I found both of these on the front page of CNN today. The first is about Berkeley's animosity towards Marine recruiters in their town. The second story is about women being murdered in Iraq for not following the strict teachings of Islam.

Note that the majority of the protestors shown in the first article are women. Now, I certainly understand that these crimes towards women are happening even though there are Marines in Iraq, but it seems like the US military is the best option of stopping any of these crimes. It's not like the Iraqi police or military forces are going to do much about it, especially since they have so many radicals amongst their own ranks. Still, I find it rather ridiculous that these protestors could be making such an arguement against the war and the US military when the women in that country clearly need help from their own countrymen.

Maybe it's a misguided pairing and thought, but I'll be damned if I didn't find it highly ironic. As part of this, I think we should arm all of the women in Iraq. Maybe that'd make their attackers think twice. F*cking fundamentalist assholes.

I agree with you.

We have a moral responsibility to protect the women in Iraq from the islamist fascists who would turn them into property.

Just goes to show that the US is full of as many batshit insane leftists as it is fire-and-brimstone looneys.
You'd never, ever see that kind of shit happening over here. It would be unthinkable.

Injustice happens everywhere. You can't stop all of it, and the war in Iraq has caused much more injustice than it has prevented. For everyone woman that might not be raped, 10 more have gotten exploded.

We are talking about large scale culture changes here. You say that the US military is the best solution but the article that you linked to claims that things have been getting worse.

Take a look at this article, there are better ways to help women's rights in Arab countries than through military force.

Injustice happens everywhere. You can't stop all of it, and the war in Iraq has caused much more injustice than it has prevented. For everyone woman that might not be raped, 10 more have gotten exploded.
Exploded by the fascists. How many more will be blown up if we leave?

I don't think they're exactly fascists, but yeah, I agree.

We are talking about large scale culture changes here. You say that the US military is the best solution but the article that you linked to claims that things have been getting worse.

Take a look at this article, there are better ways to help women's rights in Arab countries than through military force.

there would be no need for military force if the crazys would just stop attacking US troops all the US wants to do is rebuild and then pull the majority of troops out.

That article's nice and all, but who is going to enforce any laws like that in Iraq? The police? Possibly, but unlikely, especially if you read my article all the way through. It would be wonderful if everything could simply be solved by new laws and less strict rules, but without enforcement and societal change, nothing will stick.

As far as I know woman were treated better under Sadams regime then the current at least according to this article.

Iraq women's rights better under Saddam: survey
David Shucosky at 12:02 PM ET

Photo source or description
[JURIST] Women in Iraq had better quality of life and received more respect for their rights under Saddam Hussein's regime than the current system, according to a survey conducted by the Baghdad-based Woman Freedom Organization [advocacy website]. According to the group, women's rights were guaranteed in the constitution under Saddam, and women held important government positions. Now, however, security concerns have forced many women to remain at home, and the Islamic law making up the foundations of the new constitution [JURIST news archive] has been applied so as to suppress women [advocacy op-ed], the group complains. Officials within the government disagree, claiming that women can more readily express their political views and now hold positions in government that had been denied them under Saddam Hussein [JURIST news archive].

The survey also noted an increase in unemployment and poverty levels for women. The number of widows has gone up as well, compounding a problem that has existed since the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s. IRIN has more.
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/04/iraq-womens-rights-better-under-saddam.php

It is true that shit would be much worse if the US left no doubt about that. Still is the second article necessary to show the stupidity of the protest?

there would be no need for military force if the crazys would just stop attacking US troops all the US wants to do is rebuild and then pull the majority of troops out.

Is that really how most Americans think of the war in Iraq? USA is just like a friendly guy trying to help out of the goodness of their heart and everyone else is just crazy and attacking them?

Back