Obama wins Nobel Peace Price

I think its more to do with his policies being a dramatic change from the self-centeredness of the last government, as well as his attempt to actually heal the wounds caused by the Bush administration. With that said though, I'm sure there were far more deserving candidates out there.

Have to agree. Personally I like Obama, I think he's in a very difficult situation given the mess he's inherited, but truth of the matter is giving him a prize when he's just gotten into office seems a bit daft, even if on paper at least he's making the sort of gestures that might well qualify for it later on.

I'm sure there are people who have taken action and seem the consequences of it that are presently more deserving.

Obama shouldn't get it over someone like this:

Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, whom the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former Army medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.

this reminds me of when Al Gore stole the nobel prize from that lady during WW2...I'll have to look up the video

I think he got it because of the thing he did where he wanted every nation to give up there nukes or something? I don't follow politics at all so...

this reminds me of when Al Gore stole the nobel prize from that lady during WW2...I'll have to look up the video
During WW2 he stole some lady's Nobel Prize? This has the makings of some awesome Al Gore fan fiction. So is he actually hundreds of years old or can he travel through time?

Wait you have a video?!

And yeah, halfway into the first year of the Presidency isn't enough to merit this thing. Apparently you can win the Prize for saying stuff instead of effecting stuff.

if we elect another non white president, does that person too get a nobel peace prize?

During WW2 he stole some lady's Nobel Prize? This has the makings of some awesome Al Gore fan fiction. So is he actually hundreds of years old or can he travel through time?

Wait you have a video?!

And yeah, halfway into the first year of the Presidency isn't enough to merit this thing. Apparently you can win the Prize for saying stuff instead of effecting stuff.

Shit man you didn't know Al Gore is a time-traveling superman? He did invent the internet, you know.

Norwegians sure like the Democrats. Carter, Gore, Obama, all in a few years of each other. K.

To be fair to the guy, he seems as nonplussed as everyone else. I caught a clip of his acceptance on TV, saying he'd accept the prize as a 'call to action' or some such, which appears to be a tacit acknowledgement on his part of the fact that he hasn't really accomplished much yet.

He explicitly said that he didn't deserve it, so yeah. I was interested that he used the opportunity to explicitly talk about global warming, lay it down on Iran and to advocate a two-state palestinian solution. Was that latter one always on his agenda?

Trivia: The reason Alfred Nobel put the Peace Prize in the hands of the Norwegians instead of the Swedes like the other rewards was that it was a more political prize, he he felt that the Norwegians could be more unbiased than the Swedes because they didn't have a foreign policy at the time (they were in a union with Sweden, and only had control of some domestic affairs).

/rams head into the wall

Never knew that. Sorry for being a knob.

You know the irony of the peace prize is the man that invented it devoted his time to researching better weapons, with the excuse of "I'll develop a weapon so terrifying, NO ONE will use it!"

We can all see how well that worked up. :|

You know the irony of the peace prize is the man that invented it devoted his time to researching better weapons, with the excuse of "I'll develop a weapon so terrifying, NO ONE will use it!"

We can all see how well that worked up. :|

It's working great.

It's just ****ing scary.

He explicitly said that he didn't deserve it, so yeah. I was interested that he used the opportunity to explicitly talk about global warming, lay it down on Iran and to advocate a two-state palestinian solution. Was that latter one always on his agenda?

The two state solution is a joke. Either give the land over to the surrounding countries to absorb , or alternatively absorb the occupied territories legally, and grant the Palestinians full citizenship rights (something the state of Israel wants to avoid). The Two state solution merely continues the current impasse.

Trivia: The reason Alfred Nobel put the Peace Prize in the hands of the Norwegians instead of the Swedes like the other rewards was that it was a more political prize, he he felt that the Norwegians could be more unbiased than the Swedes because they didn't have a foreign policy at the time (they were in a union with Sweden, and only had control of some domestic affairs).

so it was a point of "never trust a swede man"?

ok so I went and looked at that one guy's only post that wasn't in this thread... apparently he's been harboring a grudge against stern for over six months and just now decided to voice his unhappiness by saying stern is all talk... awhuah?

I also found this awesome GIF raz made:
picture.php

Obama really won the Nobel Peace Prize because of affirmative action.

Think about it.

So Obama bailed out the bank CEO's, auto execs, now the health care industry with 825 billion dollars!

He is also funding home boy security today by giving them 52 million dollars to speed up on the MOAB. The MOAB is a big dick and will be used for the Iran/N. Korea war next Summer: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33293807/ns/us_news-military/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSfD4roMxY

Oh yeah he totally deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. Brownie points to anybody who figures out how much one costs and where we would get the money to blow one up?

MOAB is quite old toy, similar things were alerady used in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.
I don't see how relevant is home security and bailout to Nobel Peace Prize.
Love your summer time war idea, btw.

MOAB is quite old toy, similar things were alerady used in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.
I don't see how relevant is home security and bailout to Nobel Peace Prize.
Love your summer time war idea, btw.
The MOAB is not an old toy, nor has anything come close to the size of this bomb other than a nuke. Also:
Pentagon officials acknowledge that the new bomb is intended to blow up fortified sites like those used by Iran and North Korea for their nuclear programs, but they deny there is a specific target in mind.

"I don't think anybody can divine potential targets," Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said. "This is just a capability that we think is necessary given the world we live in."

The Obama administration has struggled to counter suspicions lingering from George W. Bush's presidency that the United States is either planning to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities itself or would look the other way if Israel did the same.

russia made a similiar bomb and no one cried

Yes but they're Russians, I don't think that anyone is surprised or expects anything to happen if they get angry about it. Russia has a strict "**** off" policy when dealing with any nation not subordinate to them.

The MOAB is not an old toy, nor has anything come close to the size of this bomb other than a nuke. Also:

Yeah, it is.

The GBU-43/B was introduced into service in '03. Additionally, it doesn't have any meaningful penatrative capabilty, using it on a hardened target would be worthless. Its fairly close to the old BLU-82 Daisy Cutter in its effect, just bigger and a bit more leathal.

Now, the GBU-57B "M.O.P" (Massive Ordnance Penetrator), thats a big bunker busting toy. Still in development, but they recently got additional funding to speed that up. Should be blowing huge holes deep in the ground in no time, though it only carries roughly 1/3 the amount of high explosive as the MOAB the MOAB is a traditional thin skinned bomb, not very useful for bunker busting.

Additionally the Russians claim to have developed a much more powerful weapon, the thermobaric FOAB (blast yeild 44 tons), claimed to be 4 times more powerful than the American MOAB (blast yeild 11 tons). That was 2 years ago.

The two state solution is a joke. Either give the land over to the surrounding countries to absorb , or alternatively absorb the occupied territories legally, and grant the Palestinians full citizenship rights (something the state of Israel wants to avoid). The Two state solution merely continues the current impasse.

Your solutions are equally improbable. The surrounding countries would never, ever be interested in absorbing that land. The last thing any of the surrounding Arab/Muslim countries want is to be associated with Palestine--they have their reasons (trade with U.S. through Israel, continuing to sell oil to allies of Israel in the west, etc). Palestinians are interested in, you guessed it, Palestine--not being a part of Turkey or Jordan or some gulf state. Israelis and Palestinians alike have no interest in giving everyone Israeli citizenship, Palestinians largely desire sovereignty and the rights to their own country, a right which they should be granted, but Israel and Hamas are equally retrogressive and useless in the matter. There is no overarching or proposed "Two State Solution" that works wholly as a cure-all, but as a broad category it's certainly not something bad to strive towards. A kind of Two State Solution is probably the most realistic goal in achieving peace without the demise of Palestine/Palestinians.

Your solutions are equally improbable. The surrounding countries would never, ever be interested in absorbing that land. The last thing any of the surrounding Arab/Muslim countries want is to be associated with Palestine--they have their reasons (trade with U.S. through Israel, continuing to sell oil to allies of Israel in the west, etc). Palestinians are interested in, you guessed it, Palestine--not being a part of Turkey or Jordan or some gulf state. Israelis and Palestinians alike have no interest in giving everyone Israeli citizenship, Palestinians largely desire sovereignty and the rights to their own country, a right which they should be granted, but Israel and Hamas are equally retrogressive and useless in the matter. There is no overarching or proposed "Two State Solution" that works wholly as a cure-all, but as a broad category it's certainly not something bad to strive towards. A kind of Two State Solution is probably the most realistic goal in achieving peace without the demise of Palestine/Palestinians.

Way to kill the mood, man, we were talking about how awesome the MOAB is and some other explosives that have cool youtube videos.

Yeah jacking off at big explosions is much more interesting.

The prize has been a joke ever since Yassir Arafat, Henry Kissinger, and Al Gore won it. The only ones that matter are the technical fields. The peace prize has always been just a political shoutout by the committee.

Exactly. I've never been able to forgive the nobel prize comitee for bestowing the honor to my country by giving one to one of our ex-presidents.

Seriously, I want someone over here to win something that actually matters, like physics or some shit.

Oh, and to comment on Obama, I agree with whatever lunacy of a plan for nuclear disarmament he is proposing, but a nobel for it? I never even understood why there were nobel prizes for peace when mankind since the beggining of time has sought peace and failed, always resorting to the crucible of war to settle its affairs.

Back