Obsidian's "Alpha Protocol"

I'm assuming they share technologies and or licenses for technologies with each other.

Oh noes! They normal mapped their faces just like Bioware! Ripoff!

I'm more interested in Obsidians Aliens RPG tbh..

NoooOOoOOooo these are the guys who made Neverwinter Nights 2... All they had to do was take the original and make improvements here and there but they still fooked it up.

saw that coming last week

also saw a news item for a leaked internal memo that said AP wasnt much of an rpg; Mass effect is more rpg-y than alpha protocol according to the memo

saw that coming last week

But this is now offically confirmed. I'd of liked it this year, however I'm sure a few months polish will do it good.

also saw a news item for a leaked internal memo that said AP wasnt much of an rpg; Mass effect is more rpg-y than alpha protocol according to the memo

Rpg-y? Really depends on what you characterise as being Rpg-y . Personally for me I'd say Deus Ex is an RPG however plenty of other people would disagree with that assessment. What's your take?

Sounds kinda like Fallout 3 in terms of FPS combat with a bit of character progression and often optional dialogue.
Meh. Spy shit completely fails to do anything for me.

Since its Obsidian AND with Chris Avellone as the lead designer, I'm buying a CE blindfolded.

Chris Avellone.

Seriously.

The man's a god of cliche and trope subversion.

But this is now offically confirmed. I'd of liked it this year, however I'm sure a few months polish will do it good.

that's what they said about age of conan and countless other titles that turned out to be a disappointment

Rpg-y? Really depends on what you characterise as being Rpg-y . Personally for me I'd say Deus Ex is an RPG however plenty of other people would disagree with that assessment. What's your take?

?Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. "Mass Effect felt more RPG."

obsidian's response:

We're not really sure how much this gentleman played of Alpha Protocol, or what his ideas of an RPG are. Suffice to say, the game is 100% an RPG; we don't really make any other kind of game. You earn XP, you get levels, you choose your skill progression, you modify your weapons, you interact with NPCs (or kill/sleep with them), the world reacts to the choices you make in pretty dramatic ways,

from their forum:

...I believe the gentleman in the quotes works for SCEA. As for what he said, obviously we enjoy any feedback that we can get, but without knowing how much of the game he played (and I seriously doubt that someone as busy as a product evaluator for Sony is going to be playing through an entire game if it's as long as Alpha Protocol), it's hard to judge what he meant by those comments. Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.

of course Obsidian has a vested interest in protecting their product and the SCEA guy has no real conflict of interest

It's going to be good.

Chris Avellone.

STFU naysayers.

Yeah, this never interested me too much anyway. Seems very generic. Maybe the shift is like every other shift to next year for releases that can't stand out on their own very well amidst the holiday shit storm.

Obsidian has yet to actually even finish a game, so, no, it most likely will not be good.

Obsidian has yet to actually even finish a game, so, no, it most likely will not be good.

I could write a dissertation on how you are feeble minded and uneducated, but I won't, since its of no use.

I'm simply not interested in it. It looks like they took a bland idea and added rpg gameplay to it.

I'm simply not interested in it. It looks like they took a bland idea and added rpg gameplay to it.

what? it's about spies. if any genre lends itself to rpg it's espionage and political intrigue. I for one welcome the change from the same old tired medival elves and dwarves setting

I could be interested but, as far as I know, Obsidian games tend to be unpolished and unfinished. I'll wait for some full review, or a price drop.

Game does not matter. Only Wheel of Time RPG important.

Graphics are ok. It's the writing, story and characters that matter.

I'm interested. Obsidian's always had good writers.

I was about to ask Kadayi if he even knew what year it was. And then I remembered he's not even here any more.
And that's how I learned that Shakermaker was A NECROMANCER!

sleuth.jpg

story doesnt matter to me all that much. graphics dont matter all that much either. gameplay has to be fun. I like rpgs mostly because of the freedom or evolution of the character. If ALpha Protocol can fit those criterias then it's an instant buy for me. however I remain skeptical

Still think the gameplay shown in one of the previous trailers looked really bad, but this trailer has brought me back into the "hmm, maybe" zone. If the story and characters are good, i might give it a go. Hopefully the gameplay isnt as bad as it seemed in the previous videos though.

Trailer was kinda meh. I'll maybe rent it I suppose :|

Looks good. Too bad the release date is June 1st, though.

Facial animations are pretty good, but the eyes are the best I've seen. Scripting and voice acting sounds better than ME2. Plus it's about spies. I'm excited :D

story doesnt matter to me all that much. graphics dont matter all that much either. gameplay has to be fun. I like rpgs mostly because of the freedom or evolution of the character. If ALpha Protocol can fit those criterias then it's an instant buy for me. however I remain skeptical

Obsidian Entertainment.

Back