OFFICIAL Wii launch specs!

Are there any side by side comparisons of Wii Zelda and Gamecube Zelda?

It's overpriced. Considering how little it costs to produce such low-grade technology, how it doesn't include any other useful functionality besides games (can't even play DVDs), and how the software itself costs much less to produce ... it's a bad deal.

Wow. Fanboy alert. ;)

I don't think it's overpriced at all. I mean if we're going to talk about graphics here, then isn't the Wii about 3x more powerful than the Gamecube? I think thats about right, yeah. Well, remember how good the Gamecube games looked? I thought they looked awesome. Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube looked better than the PS2 version. Sure all of the multi-platform games looked better on the PS2/Xbox but the Gamecube still looked great in my opinion.

And who cares about DVD functionality? I can count about 10 or 11 OTHER DVD players in my house. I don't want another one. Besides, DVD playback on the PS2 and Xbox sucked ass compared to a stand-alone DVD player or a DVD player on the PC. I don't want another sucky DVD player.

Also, i don't see whats so bad about the software ebing cheap to develope. Means more of the smaller developers will be able to have a chance at even completing and possibly releasing their titles. Games from these smaller companies can sometimes have some awesome and different gameplay techniques, becuase they aren't scared to take a risk. More-so if it doesn't cost them much to create the game.

AmishSlayer summed it up good.

I myself cannot wait for the Wii. I'm pre-ordering mine as soon as pre-orders begin. Which should be soon becuase the Euro release details should be announced today.

I don't know if any of you here know, but Nintendos currently going through their Europe event.

Eurogamer has a text feed up and apparently, they're announcing Europe Launch details :D

EUROPEAN LAUNCH DETAILS

Date: 2006.

December 8th 2006.

EUR 249 / GBP 179

Bundle is white console, one Wii remote, one Nunchuck, Wii Sports.

Between 49 and 59 Euros for software. 34 for 39 pounds.

Launch titles: Wii Sports, Wii Play (the mini-games package with bundled Wii remote). Zelda, WarioWare: Smooth Moves (just after launch).

Third-party: around 15-20 games from launch. Red Steel. Rayman. Need for Speed Carbon. Tony Hawk. Super Monkey Ball.

The way to verbose people at Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/15) actually address the price issue in a rather funny way:

"Based on the scandalous announcement that Nintendo is selling the Wii at a profit, blogger Vladimir Cole pipes in with:

1. We should buy Sony and Microsoft products because they lose money on them

2. Losing money now is the same as making money in the future

3. Selling your console at a profit is a sign of fear and uncertainty

4. Nintendo doesn't believe in their own product "

EUROPEAN LAUNCH DETAILS

December 8th 2006.

EUR 249 / GBP 179

Launch titles: Wii Sports, Wii Play (the mini-games package with bundled Wii remote). Zelda, WarioWare: Smooth Moves (just after launch).

Third-party: around 15-20 games from launch. Red Steel. Rayman. Need for Speed Carbon. Tony Hawk. Super Monkey Ball.

\o/

Woohoo. I'm torn between importing a US version or getting PAL.

It's a nice price considering a game is bundled (i'm quite excited about playing some wii sports with mates), but after buying another few wiimotes and a few games it's not exactly going to be cheap. Anyhoo - should be a good gaming christmas \o/

EUROPEAN LAUNCH DETAILS

December 8th 2006.

EUR 249 / GBP 179

Win!

Looking forward to this :D

Woohoo. I'm torn between importing a US version or getting PAL.

It's a nice price considering a game is bundled (i'm quite excited about playing some wii sports with mates), but after buying another few wiimotes and a few games it's not exactly going to be cheap. Anyhoo - should be a good gaming christmas \o/

I dunno, Wii Play may save a bit of money.

And hold us over till Warioware gets here :p

I just can't get hyped for the wii :( I watched the vids on gametrailers, and the wiimote seems novel at first, then i'm like, "man, my arm would freakin fall off if I tried to play for any extended period of time." and just forget precision, you can see the cursor shaking all over the place with the people who are using it...

I also wonder how far you can be from your television for it to work... I just don't think I'll get one :( and I love nintendo.

I just can't get hyped for the wii :( I watched the vids on gametrailers, and the wiimote seems novel at first, then i'm like, "man, my arm would freakin fall off if I tried to play for any extended period of time." and just forget precision, you can see the cursor shaking all over the place with the people who are using it...

It depends how shakey your arms are. Most people will end up playing with their elbow rested on their leg or the arm of a chair - you could do that for hours. tbh it'll probably be easier for me than using a mouse - I use a real low sensitivity for fps and don't rest any part of my arm while playing.

As for precision - I could show you some people trying to play a fps with a joypad that would make the ones you've seen on the wii look like fps pros :) It'll take some getting used to, that's all.

I also wonder how far you can be from your television for it to work... I just don't think I'll get one :( and I love nintendo.

The sensitivity is way too high in some demos making the aim jump all over the screen. A smooooother should deal with that problem. Also, you don't need to jump up and down when playing, you just need to twitch your wrist alittle (you're doing it anyways when playing with a normal controller :)).

The sensitivity is way too high in some demos making the aim jump all over the screen. A smooooother should deal with that problem. Also, you don't need to jump up and down when playing, you just need to twitch your wrist alittle (you're doing it anyways when playing with a normal controller :)).

Yeah, the promo videos of people jumping and diving around a room are just to make it all look cool and exciting :p
I'll probably just sit on my sofa with my arm resting on my leg and just move my hand around for the most part.

The only time i'll probably get up and jump around is with a group of mates on WiiSports etc.

180 pounds?

Wow. MUST BUY ONE D:

Just one?!! Unless you mean one of each colour for every room you're a nubbin!

D:

Please, I am a poor man with no money :(

Get down the docks, there's good money to be had for a young lad like you ;)

€250,-?

That's super gay.

And I do mean super mega ultra gay.

That's 298,38 USD or 34470,00 Yen.

and since when have transatlantic prices ever followed the exchange rate?

It's cheaper then the other 2 consoles...

Like multiple people have said, small flicking gestures are enough if you don't feel like flailing everywhere or leaping behind your couch to take cover as seen in some vids.

As far as distance from the tv. IGN has said multiple times that the more distance between you and the tv, the better accuracy you'll have.

Is it bad that I am now prancing around my bedroom with a TV remote re-enacting Tennis, Baseball, Boxing, Bowling, Golf, Sword Swinging and Grenade throwing? All with sound effects. And where no sound effects are applicable, shouts of "Wiiiiii" and "Mama-Mia!"

Also, sexy new Red Steel trailer. This game looks better and better. There was a point, not long after E3 where I told myself I wouldn't get it, but since then it's got better with every iteration. Even in the half-month since the GC in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc9VAV1D3i4&eurl=

Is it bad that I am now prancing around my bedroom with a TV remote re-enacting Tennis, Baseball, Boxing, Bowling, Golf, Sword Swinging and Grenade throwing? All with sound effects. And where no sound effects are applicable, shouts of "Wiiiiii" and "Mama-Mia!"

heh - not at all. I've been doing the same, but with a GC pad in the other hand as well.

I'm still not keen on Red Steal, and think the wiimote and nunchunk cost too much on their own (£40+ for them both!), but on the whole am pleased with the pricing and can't wait to get my hands on on of these :)

I think Red Steel would be better if you actually played it. I bet everything would seem better when we get a chance to play anything, it'll probably all feel natural and whatever.

And controllers are always expensive no matter what. And this is a unique controller remember! /fanboy :p

I love the freeze-time in Red Steel. :D

LOL

I'm sorry, I found that to be real silly. Some trim, groomed dude flipping around his couch. Sorry, but not all gamers act like they're ten when in front of a game console. :|

The game looks... alright. I have to say I'm surprised it doesn't appear as fluid as I thought it would considering how everybody was ragging on about how awesome this would be for FPS games.

LOL

I'm sorry, I found that to be real silly. Some trim, groomed dude flipping around his couch. Sorry, but not all gamers act like they're ten when in front of a game console. :|

I play games like that...sometimes. :E

We know you love the PS3. It shows but that's OK. ;)
Although 'overpriced' is the last thing I'd expect someone say about the Wii. lol

I agree with AmishSlayer. And I have my PC for "oo look at those graphics".
Even if you think it's dated hardware, if they make what was old just as fun and new (for you) as the other consoles then it's worthy of buying. Especially if it's cheaper. If it isn't as fun for you, obviously you don't buy. It's what they can do with it, not whats in the box that counts.

Fair enough. Yeah, I do prefer PS3 over the other two, but I'm still not going to get one for at least a year ... and by that time I may have changed my mind once all the cards have been shown (mainly talking about success of Blu-Ray).

And yes, I'm well aware that selling for a profit is a good thing, especially with hardware where it's very hard to do. The thing is, Nintendo did it right last generation. They released a product that could compete head to head with the other two, still cost less, AND sold for a profit - that's ****ing genius. However now ... the hardware (what you're actually paying for) is very substandard, the only selling point is the controller.

So it comes down to this: how good is that controller, and how good are Nintendo's first party games? The answer to that is different for everyone, but for me its "meh ... we'll see," and "usually not that great." Certainly doesn't justify buying an entirely new console for just their games. Of course, if the original Rare still worked for Nintendo I might have a very different opinion about the console.

Personally I wish Nintendo would go the way of Sega and start releasing games third party for other consoles. I know they're far too successful to do that and it probably won't happen, just that I would prefer it. That way I'd get to play the 2-3 games they make every generation that are really great without having to invest in a console just for them.

And Ren, don't throw the word "fanboy" around so carelessly. Especially when I didn't even support any of the consoles, just decided not to hop on the bandwagon for a specific one. Apparently you can't even express a non-popular opinion on a video game forum about a video game console without being a "fanboy," great logic.

That's the first time i've heard Nintendo first party titles describd as "usually not that great." To each his own, I suppose.

You keep mentioning how substandard the hardware is, which I think is a little unfair. The wii has some grunt behind it, and will be able to pump out impressive looking titles, but, as everyone else is pointing out, it isn't the technical specifications that make the wii an appealing prospect. By this reasoning a pc is substandard 6 months after you've put it together.

One of the reasons i'm not excited about the PS3 is because i've seen absolutely nothing I want to play on it and the promise of HD gaming has lost much of its sparkle (we've had the 360 for quite a while now). At the other end of the scale is the wii - it looks so immediate and tactile. I know on launch day friends will come round, beers will be drunk, and we'll be bouncing around the living room like '10 year olds' :bounce:

I have a feeling that a lot of people seem to think that the character on screen in every game will mimick your movements. But from the videos i've seen, it looks like a lot of canned animations only cued determended by angle, and or speed... Does that makes sense? Is this the case or not?

And yes, I'm well aware that selling for a profit is a good thing, especially with hardware where it's very hard to do. The thing is, Nintendo did it right last generation. They released a product that could compete head to head with the other two, still cost less, AND sold for a profit - that's ****ing genius. However now ... the hardware (what you're actually paying for) is very substandard, the only selling point is the controller.

It's kind of sad to see that some people will still crowd around better graphics and turn a blind eye to true inovation.

The console market has always been dominated by next-gen presenting something better. And finally... finally a company dosent shoot for just better graphics for their console. Nintendo is really stepping up to the plate and change that business model.

Sure, Wii dosent have as good graphics processing power as PS3 or x360, but it's still better than GC, PS2 and X-Box. Why dose every next gen system have to have the biggest and best? They dont! Next-gen has always needed to turn their focus tword something other than better graphics. Wii's hardware isnt "substandard" at all. In fact, how can you even imply there is a "standard" in the console markets hardware at all? They've always been very different per console.

But I guess if all you want out of your game experience is seeing that new game in high-def and more polygons, then by all means, stay on that bandwagon.

I don't get the whole next-gen thing about HD.

PC's have had it HD capablity for ages so I don't see what the fuss is all about apart from TV being broadcast in HD obviously...

I also laugh at Scott.

I don't see how the hardware is really going to determine how well it is going to sell.

Marketing will do that.

And finally... finally a company dosent shoot for just better graphics for their console

In all fairness they've been doing that since day 1 (Nintendo have innovated and affected the the industry more than any other company). But on the whole I agree with you completely :)

I don't get the whole next-gen thing about HD.

It's a little differenct now - we get to play HD on large televisions, which looks AMAZING :) It's hard going back to my monitor after playing on the 360.

Well, I do hate playing my PS2 on the TV as everything looks so blurry and shitty =/

Hate to burst your guys' bubbles of import happiness...but

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html

IGN said:
Wii games will not be region-free according to Nintendo UK's General Manager David Yarnton. Speaking exclusively with IGN at Nintendo's European Wii press event in London, Yarnton confirmed that Wii games and online content will be region-encoded, meaning European gamers won't be able to play titles from the US and Japan and vice-versa.

Back