OFFICIAL Wii launch specs!

Just spotted this. Awesomeage :D

Any news about what controllers etc. are bundled?

I posted this stuff in the other Wii Release Date thread but yeah.

Doesn't anybody else remember that Nintendo confirmed it'd be lower than $250?

Seems weird that the launch would be on a Sunday and it's strange that the NYT broke the news first...

Other than that I would've liked to see another controller bundled.

Game included, awesome. Wonder if this report will differ from the offical announcement...
And if they didn't buddle the sports game, would it have been $200? (250-50=200)

Game included, awesome. Wonder if this report will differ from the offical announcement...
And if they didn't buddle the sports game, would it have been $200? (250-50=200)

I hope not. I don't really want Wii Sports and I certainly don't think it's worth $50...

I can imagine myself getting about 10 minutes of enjoyment out of Wii Sports. Now if the sports games were the complete game rather than dumbed down to one motion repeated, then I'd be excited.

It'd be nice if they offered a version without Wii Sports if it would be cheaper.

EDIT: Ok something's weird here.

First off, I was getting info from here

http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=1846

Their latest update says:

UPDATE 6: Release Date revealed for Japan - December 2nd, 2006 - 25,000 Yen (which usually means $250 USD

25,000 Yen actually = ~$212.50 but also the fact that it says Dec. 2nd is weird.

photo-20060914-055310-0-88d7e49b37dcb5a7edf23df6783db336.jpg

Not only is it hard to believe that Japan would get their OWN console about 2 full weeks later...but they're paying less for it. When the DS Lite launched in the US it was actually about $20 cheaper to buy it in the US than it was in Japan. Why the price and release date difference?

This NYT article seems fishy to me.

It will be. $249.95 < $250 :E

Regardless, It's still a great deal. You could buy 2 Wii systems and 2 launch games for the price of one Playstation 3.

I've got to go preorder mine, so I can participate in the magical "wait in line with a million other nintendo nerds" moments in front of Best Buy.

If this is true then it's shitty:

IGN said:
Nintendo Co. Ltd. revealed that Wii's various controllers would be available to buy separately at launch. The Wii remote will cost 3800 yen or about $40; the nunchuck 1800 yen or about $20 and the classic controller 1800 yen or about $20.

Once again their Yen -> USD is off

At 3800 Yen it'd be ~$32 for a Wiimote and for 1800 Yen it'd be ~$15.

Hasn't Nintendo said on multiple ocassions that the nunchuck comes WITH every Wiimote?

EDIT: Here comes even MORE conflicting information.

NYT says Wii Sports is in the bundle. People covering the Japanese convention say these are the contents of each Wii bundle:

UPDATE 7: Official Press Release from Nintendo of Japan Click Here. Reveals that the bundle will include Wii, Wii-mote Strap, Nunchuk, AC Adapter, A/V Cable, Private Stand, Auxilary Plate, Sensor Bar, Plug Server Stand and two single three dry cell batteries.

Quite a few gaming sites have this news up now too. Seems to be legit.

It's cool that Wii Sports is bundled, but if their is a version without Wii Sports for say $200 then i'd get the cheaper one for sure. I'm sure Wii Sports would end up on the pre-owned shelf in good time for cheap.

And selling the nun-chuck separately? wtf? I always assumed the nun-chuck was supplied with EVERY controller seeing as it is needed for some games? Wierd that one.

Oh well, still pre-ordering one.

And selling the nun-chuck separately? wtf? I always assumed the nun-chuck was supplied with EVERY controller seeing as it is needed for some games? Wierd that one.

Oh well, still pre-ordering one.

As far as I've seen it's needed for every game but Wii Sports and Wario Ware.

We'll find out everything for sure tomorrow.

As far as I've seen it's needed for every game but Wii Sports and Wario Ware.

We'll find out everything for sure tomorrow.

True that. I hope it's wrong, for my wallets sake for other peoples sake. Kids/parents may just buy the WiiMote's without the nun-chucks, then when they come to play games they can't. It'll cause some confusion i bet if it is this way.

Little off topic but... You know you can download retro games online, well, where are they stored? The Wii doesnt have a Hard drive does it? I know it has an SD card reader and such, but i dont fancy buying multiple cards to store my data on.

I'm fairly certain they said that it wouldn't cost more than $250 and did not promise that it would be less than $250.

25,000 Yen actually = ~$212.50
I thought everyone learnt with the Vista pricing that a straight 'conversion' of prices was a very silly thing to do ?

Everyone else (IGN, etc) are reporting this info so the chances that it being false are quite low.

Little off topic but... You know you can download retro games online, well, where are they stored? The Wii doesnt have a Hard drive does it? I know it has an SD card reader and such, but i dont fancy buying multiple cards to store my data on.

the games are very small though. N64 games are only about 20-30mb( warez roms anyway)

Hmm. Fair point about the virtual console games... Nintendo is really gonna be cashing in on the extras, huh? One card for savegames, one for downloads...

Also, it says about a sensor bar in the "confirmed" package. I thought they'd eliminated the need for those to use the wiimote?

Hmm. Fair point about the virtual console games... Nintendo is really gonna be cashing in on the extras, huh? One card for savegames, one for downloads...

Also, it says about a sensor bar in the "confirmed" package. I thought they'd eliminated the need for those to use the wiimote?

It will have 512MB flash memory built in for downloads/saves.

Nintendo never said anything about the sensorbar.

I think people will be suprised how much fun wii sports ends up being when played with a few mates. It looks like the perfect game to be bundled with the console and should be an excellent introduction into using the wiimote :)

I can't wait \o/

$250 is too much when it's not even including the accessories you'll need in order to enjoy the damn thing. I mean spec wise, it's pretty much a recycled / slightly upgraded GameCube right (~$60 bucks?) Maybe if it included everything I need right in that bundle, but that doesn't seem to be the case. :|

$250 is too much when it's not even including the accessories you'll need in order to enjoy the damn thing. I mean spec wise, it's pretty much a recycled / slightly upgraded GameCube right (~$60 bucks?) Maybe if it included everything I need right in that bundle, but that doesn't seem to be the case. :|

?

You always need to buy games for your consoles you know.

?

You always need to buy games for your consoles you know.

um... yeah? I wasn't as excited about the Wii as most of you guys here but the pricing here kinda disappointed me. Not a big deal, I'll wait a little while before I decide which console to go for anyway.

I'm pretty disappointed, this thing will probably go for $350-400 here and I doubt we'll get it till next year. ;(

I'm getting more and more disappointed as more info comes out.

According to the live IGN blog:

-Wiimote $40 - Nunchuck $20
-GC Zelda is coming Dec 11th (for those of you that wanted the GC version) - NOT LAUNCH
-Metroid Prime 3 is a 2007 game - NOT LAUNCH
-Opera Web browser will cost money

If there was any kind of 360 price drop for the holidays then I think Nintendo would all but lose their intro-gamer demographic that they say they've been going after.

The Wii was the only cosole of this generation I was considering purchasing. Not for a milisecond have I thought about getting a 360 or PS3. Having said that, my choice was made for me. I won't get any new console.

$250 for an almost last generation machine. No thanks. $50 for almost last generation games. No thanks. Getting charged for every imaginable add-on. No thanks. This will be the first Nintendo console, including handhelds, that I won't be getting.

I was holding out hope that the Wii would bring me back to gaming. Not gonna happen.

The Inquirer says that it's been confirmed that Mario Galaxy will not ship untill 2007. :(

Yep, saw that too... Now there's only 1-2 Wii games I plan on even buying this year. I might even wait on buying my extra controllers until they go down in price. Having to pay $180 for 3 more controllers doesn't make me happy along with all evidence pointing towards forcing me to buy a ($25?) USB 2.0 LAN adapter since I don't have/want wireless. And the fact that 3rd party titles COULD be $60....

not cool.

$250 - Console + Wii Sports
$180 - 3 extra controllers
$50 - 1 game (Zelda for me)
($25) - USB LAN adapter - maybe

Total $480 + Tax ($505 if I need the USB LAN adapter) ... Yeah, definitely waiting for Wiimote prices to come down (or find a great deal) before investing in the extra controllers.

And what do you think that price is compared to buying a 360 w/hdd, a game, and 3 extra controllers? Or a PS3?

One way or another this thing is still dirt cheap. I don't need to run out and buy all the accessories immedietly, I just need the system and a game. And they've already included a game with it to boot, so its a steal.

so about $300 with a second controller/nunchuck/throwing stars

not too expensive compared to the other consoles but still the games will make or break the wii ..I'll wait till early next year ..by then my son might be able to play some of the games

And what do you think that price is compared to buying a 360 w/hdd, a game, and 3 extra controllers? Or a PS3?

One way or another this thing is still dirt cheap. I don't need to run out and buy all the accessories immedietly, I just need the system and a game. And they've already included a game with it to boot, so its a steal.

Well to compare to a 360 that I would get:

$400 - 360 Premium
$50 - 360 1st party game
$120 - 3 extra controllers (wired)

$570 which is only $65 over the $505 if we need a USB LAN adapter to jack in an ethernet cable.

Not exactly dirt cheap.

However...the only multiplayer game I had originally planned on even getting for the Wii doesn't come out for ages (SSBB) so I don't need the controllers for a while (I don't think).

I won't say I'm not a little dissapointed in the pricing, but I'll still get the system anyway. The way I see it, it was Sony who made console pricing an issue. Before hand, everyone just looked at the quality of games and graphics. Because of Sony's 600 dollar system, everyone has suddenly focused on pricing. Pretty much regardless of what Nintendo would do, they would win when it came to price.

Every Nintendo home entertainment console released has been historically $200, but when you really think about it, it only makes sense that game systems are getting more expensive. Let's not forget about a little thing called inflation. $200 dollars in original NES time was roughly 364 bucks. Hell, adjusted for inflation, the Gamecube launched at $230.

I'm not concerned about the price, I'm focusing more on what's the most important: being able to punch the f*cking TV and have the dipshit on the other side feel it.

I'm getting it. Not a fan of the buying the browser, since it's inbedded into the OS, and that apparently the weather channel and everything is free, but only after you buy the browser (reminds me too much of the 360's Gold/silver plan which I hate). But I don't mind. It's awesome, and I'll either pre-order or wait for Metroid to come out and buy it when the price has dropped. They have enough consoles for it not to sell out immediately.

I hope not. I don't really want Wii Sports and I certainly don't think it's worth $50...

I can imagine myself getting about 10 minutes of enjoyment out of Wii Sports. Now if the sports games were the complete game rather than dumbed down to one motion repeated, then I'd be excited.

It'd be nice if they offered a version without Wii Sports if it would be cheaper.

EDIT: Ok something's weird here.

First off, I was getting info from here

http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=1846

Their latest update says:

25,000 Yen actually = ~$212.50 but also the fact that it says Dec. 2nd is weird.

photo-20060914-055310-0-88d7e49b37dcb5a7edf23df6783db336.jpg

Not only is it hard to believe that Japan would get their OWN console about 2 full weeks later...but they're paying less for it. When the DS Lite launched in the US it was actually about $20 cheaper to buy it in the US than it was in Japan. Why the price and release date difference?

This NYT article seems fishy to me.

lawl 12.2 my B-day ^^

However...the only multiplayer game I had originally planned on even getting for the Wii doesn't come out for ages (SSBB) so I don't need the controllers for a while (I don't think).

That and SSBM doesn't actully use the Wii-Mote IIRC.

Its apparently compatable with the old GC Controllers. So chances are, you already have some.

North America

* Launch Date: 19th November 2006.
* Price: $250 (£130)
* Includes: Wii console, Wiimote/nunchuck, cables and Wii Sports.
* 25 Titles at launch, 30 by the end of the year, priced at around $50.

Says it includes nunchuck.

Also, the console is Wiigion FWii.

Translation: Region Free.

Also, if the price translates over to Britain, 130 quid for a console is great. And I very much doubt controllers will come without nunchucks... just seems silly. Different websites seem to be saying loads of different things.

Says it includes nunchuck.

Also, the console is Wiigion FWii.

Translation: Region Free.

Also, if the price translates over to Britain, 130 quid for a console is great. And I very much doubt controllers will come without nunchucks... just seems silly. Different websites seem to be saying loads of different things.

I know the original controller you get in the box with the Wii will have the nunchuck but according to IGN's live blog they did during the first keynote speech in NY with the major details on the release - they're being sold separate.

IGN said:
Q: How much are the remotes?

A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.

I know the original controller you get in the box with the Wii will have the nunchuck but according to IGN's live blog they did during the first keynote speech in NY with the major details on the release - they're being sold separate.

Eek. That's not good.

Here are some sexy screenshots to put us back in the mood.

wiiscreens_14_4.jpg

wiiscreens_14_7.jpg

wiiscreens_14_9.jpg

wiiscreens_14_15.jpg

wiiscreens_14_12.jpg

wiiscreens_14_20.jpg

wiiscreens_14_21.jpg

The last 3 are what really excites me. Too bad only one of them will be released this year :(

EDIT: Oooh, good news on the front of FPS control for the Wii

IGN said:
Readers have almost certainly heard the news: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has been delayed into next year. Not exactly the development we were all waiting to hear. However, we do have some spectacular news to report, too, which is that Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes-clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case.

And more -

We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

Glad to see they sorted the aiming quirks out.

That only means that if you were to buy another controller you'd probably buy the nunchuck seperate. I really doubt that it'll come seperate with the package because I'm sure Wii Sports needs it.

Yeah, the WiiMote and nanchaku are sold seperatly. So you'll have to pay about $60 for the set.

Back