Oh my god. This is killing me.

Robert-

Spy
Reaction score
Is anybody else dieing inside from the Orange Box (mainly for TF2) on the 360 wait? I can't stand it. Ever since I played TF2 at GordonFreeman911's house I've been wanting the 360 version of the OB.

I Am sorry but shooters on a console just aren't the same and don't work as well as they do on the PC.

I know that. But my computer is a piece and can't even run HL1. That's why I bought a 360. I think it wont be THAT much worse.

will the ps3 version support keyboard and mouse play like UT3, and what about crossplatform multiplay (ps3-pc-360) anything like that in the works?
What about downloadable content (much like UT3)? I have heard little to nothing about it, I know its being delayed a few weeks for ps3, and that its being done by some other EA studio or whatever, but I still have high hopes, as my PC is really showing its age, and I really want to see all the new eye candy ep2/port/tf2 have to offer

There wont be a difference in the PC and 360 versions, just that they have different controlling functions, I for one can handle FPSs on the 360 just as perfectly as I could on the PC, with the added bonus that I dont get any lag. Im a student now, so **** paying god knows how much on PC upgrades.

The whole "shooters don't work on consoles" thing seems like a bunch of bullshit to me. Honestly, I thought the same thing for a while, but no.

It has been confirmed that there will no crossplatform play. I'm almost 100% there will be downloadable content.

The whole "shooters don't work on consoles" thing seems like a bunch of bullshit to me. Honestly, I thought the same thing for a while, but no.
Agreed. Shooters are simple enough on a console.

Anyhow, I'm fairly confident the 360 gamers will have just as much fun and a fairly wide community with the Orange box. The 360 after all has excellent online capabilities.

I myself don't like the control scheme of console shooters unless it has some kind of auto aim.

I feel a mouse and keyboard are vastly better in most cases just because they're quicker and more responsive - but hey, the first time I completed Half-Life was on the PS2 and it was just as good. Besides, some shooters (eg Halo, Timesplitters) work better on consoles. The orange box'll be a damn good purchase, although personally I don't envy anyone trying to play TF2 with a pad. :D

Right now the 360 and PC are very similar in graphics, but PC has a more of a upside. To me, it's pretty painful to watch some one play a FPS on the console (horizontal - vertical).

Except it's true.

joysticks are too slow and too imprecise. I've died too many times on halo because it takes the game 2 seconds to do a 360 as opposed to <1sec with a mouse. Joysticks also aren't as accurate. I've missed too many kills because I get my sniper crosshair like 2mm away from where it should be, so then I either have to sidestep in that direction, or fiddle with the freakin joystick some more. A mouse...you just point it and BAM you're there, no fiddling with pressure sensitive sticks to determine speed.

I remember reading about cross platform online gaming between pc's and consoles, and the game companies decided to not let the two groups play together because the PC owners always destroyed the console gamers.

Consoles have always been poor on precise controls, IMO. The mouse is just much more precise and quick to use.

Except it's true.

joysticks are too slow and too imprecise. I've died too many times on halo because it takes the game 2 seconds to do a 360 as opposed to <1sec with a mouse. Joysticks also aren't as accurate. I've missed too many kills because I get my sniper crosshair like 2mm away from where it should be, so then I either have to sidestep in that direction, or fiddle with the freakin joystick some more. A mouse...you just point it and BAM you're there, no fiddling with pressure sensitive sticks to determine speed.

I remember reading about cross platform online gaming between pc's and consoles, and the game companies decided to not let the two groups play together because the PC owners always destroyed the console gamers.
Like Sulk said, some shooters do work better on consoles. Halo was shit on PC, and Timesplitters/Goldeneye would be awful without their gamepad controls. You might suck at console shooters, but that doesn't mean they're inferior, it just means they're different (and also that you suck at them :p).

Is it just me, or are the PC elitists just as annoying as the hardcore Halo fanboys? OMG lets lol at him because he can't afford a pc as 1337 as mine!!!1

But yes, a mouse is most always better for aiming. But to say a gamepad is impossible is laughable.

Some of us don't have the luxury of a good PC.

Neither do I with a AMD Athlon x64 +3200 2.0GHZ, XFX GeForce 6800XT 256mb AGP 4x/8x, and 1 GiG of ram. :(

Even though with this slightly above average setup, it still plays Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One with max settings and quite well, but it takes a bit long on the load time.

Is it just me, or are the PC elitists just as annoying as the hardcore Halo fanboys? OMG lets lol at him because he can't afford a pc as 1337 as mine!!!1

But yes, a mouse is most always better for aiming. But to say a gamepad is impossible is laughable.

No one in this thread has lol'd at anyone for not having a nice PC. In reality, you can build a computer that plays TF2 perfectly fine at or below the cost of a X360. My friend JUST did it two weeks ago.

I am a firm believer that a mouse and keyboard combo will never be beaten in terms of accuracy, speed and useablilty, but the gamepad is still a viable choice.

I'm starting to feel the same, of course they're better on PC, it's not that bad.

Hey man if it gets you to play half-life it will still be half-life. I got my friend into the franchise. He played Half-Life 1 a few weeks ago and is going to play HL2, HL2Ep1, HL2EP2, Portal all for the 1st time with Orange Box. On a ps3.

Except it's true.

Its not true, you are just obviously shit at using controllers.

Also, gamepads are better for driving games, beat-em-ups and platformers.
batman.gif

...I love how everybody just falls back on that. I die, therefore I suck at controllers. I've seen the same stuff happen to my friends, plus I've played games on PC that are also on consoles (like halo) and I KNOW they are a lot easier on PC. Easier meaning the controls were a lot more precise. It really boggles my mind that you believe a joystick is better than a mouse...can you really not see a difference between the two and understand that one is just innately better.

Gargantou said:
Last time I played a console game with people on PC(Quake 3 for Dreamcast) it was awful, PC players usually had around 20 kills per 1 kill per console player

I'm sure gargantou was just in a game where all the console players were shit at using controllers and it has nothing to do with the fact that other PC owners have a mouse/keyboard.

How can you say that without realizing you've said something stupid? The mouse is far more precise and is overall easier to use if ones needs/wants precision. I'm not saying FPS games don't work on consoles because in the right circumstances they do. I'm saying comparatively your control method is inferior for FPS games. The proof is evident enough with some hax cross compatible solutions. In an environment where there is no bias and nothing to buff/nerf one platform or the other you'll find the PC FPS player comes out on top.

I'm good with a controller, I've been using them for most of my life and I've played several console FPSes obsessively, not to mention that I worked at a LAN for a year where I did very little other than play 360 all the time, and I still prefer a mouse and keyboard by a lot.

There can be no contention or disagreement. It's not a matter of opinion. A mouse and keyboard is more accurate and precise than a gamepad any day of the week.

Halo was shit on the X-box too, it has nothing to do with the controls :p

You people are all so stupid, actually arguing over which platform is better. Didn't it ever occur to you that it could be a matter of apples and oranges? The mouse and keyboard are far more accurate for FPS's, but to me, the thumbsticks can actually be more immersive. I mean, when you're firing a weapon, you have to actually maneuver the thing in the direction you're going for, and I've always found that gamepads give a much better illusion of that. So... which is better? Neither. They're DIFFERENT.

Now get over yourselves, and go play some f*cking TF2!

You people are all so stupid, actually arguing over which platform is better. Didn't it ever occur to you that it could be a matter of apples and oranges? The mouse and keyboard are far more accurate for FPS's, but to me, the thumbsticks can actually be more immersive. I mean, when you're firing a weapon, you have to actually maneuver the thing in the direction you're going for, and I've always found that gamepads give a much better illusion of that. So... which is better? Neither. They're DIFFERENT.
Precisely.

Now get over yourselves, and go play some f*cking Halo 3!
Fixed :p

Now get over yourselves, and go play some f*cking TF2!

This forum needs more people like you.

The good thing for the console users is that their opponents are locked into the same hardware as them, so the intensity of play is going to equal in effect. It would be pretty painful for the X360 crowd if they were able to connect to PC user servers. Anyhows I'm quite fascinated to see how well the game translates to the X360 (and the PS3). With all the Halo 3 and Mass Effect promotion it seems like The Orange Box has been forgotten, but judging by the sheer balls out grinning insane fun fest that constitutes the TF2 PC beta, I'm rather hoping it does quite well in terms of console sales.

The good thing for the console users is that their opponents are locked into the same hardware as them, so the intensity of play is going to equal in effect. It would be pretty painful for the X360 crowd if they were able to connect to PC user servers. Anyhows I'm quite fascinated to see how well the game translates to the X360 (and the PS3). With all the Halo 3 and Mass Effect promotion it seems like The Orange Box has been forgotten, but judging by the sheer balls out grinning insane fun fest that constitutes the TF2 PC beta, I'm rather hoping it does quite well in terms of console sales.

Exactly. It's as if everytime this discussion comes up the more elite of the bunch seem to think the console users are going to be fighting against the PC users. Honestly, sometimes there just no need for this arguement at all. Like someone else said, I can't believe some people have the balls to say they dislike Halo fanboys.

It's kinda ironic in my case.
I started off with shooters on the n64.
With titles such as Turok,Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
It worked for me on that console and i loved the games.
I have a 360 now and i have tried a couple of shooters for it.
I just don't like them.
The shooters in n64 had a far more smoother movement and aiming.
The 360 movement and aiming feels feel slow,unresponsive and skipish
(not a actual word).
I Am not a PC fan boy nor am i console hater.
I just prefer playing shooters on the pc platform.

Back