P40 plane wreck from WWII found in desert...

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18038650
A World War II RAF fighter, which crash-landed in a remote part of the Egyptian desert in 1942, has been discovered almost intact.
There was no trace of the pilot, Flt Sgt Dennis Copping, but the British embassy says it is planning to mount a search for his remains.
But of the pilot there is no sign. He appears to have executed a near-perfect emergency landing, perhaps after becoming lost and running out of fuel, and to have survived the crash.
He rigged a parachute as an awning and removed the aircraft's radio and batteries but then apparently walked off into the desert in search of help.
Almost 100 miles from the nearest settlement, he stood virtually no chance. David Keen, an aviation historian at the RAF Museum, says the pilot broke the first rule of survival in the desert, which is to stay with your plane or vehicle.

That must have ****ing sucked. Make a perfect crash landing only to be stranded in a place where nobody will find you for 70 years.

I guess it didn't matter if he broke the first rule of survival in the desert anyway... nobody found that thing.

Though, you never know with nomads in the desert.

Suck for him :(

160 kilometres to the closest settlement. **** me, the lad never had a chance.

Sad to think about the guy getting stranded alone in the desert and nobody knowing about what happened to him for 70 years but very interesting stuff, no less.

I hope they find him out there.

100 miles in all directions and he's buried under 70 years of sand, I like his chances. Hold on I'm getting an update from the search party.

8J7B5.jpg

I guess it didn't matter if he broke the first rule of survival in the desert anyway... nobody found that thing.
I was thinking the same thing, Raz.

I'm trying to imagine what thoughts would go through my head...

"HOLY SHIT! I'M GONNA DIE!"
"HOLY SHIT! I ****ING LANDED THE HELL OUT OF THAT THING!"
"HOLY SHIT! THE BATTERIES AND RADIOS! I'M GONNA DIE!"
"HOLY SHIT! I'LL JUST WALK FOR A FEW HOURS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!"
"HOLY SHIT! I'M DEAD!!"

Back