Pat Robertson: Legalize Marijuana

I'd rather keep the amount of potheads and drug addicts at a minimum.

Prohibition had a massive impact on alcoholism didn't it? ;)

I'd rather keep the amount of potheads and drug addicts at a minimum.
Do you think alcohol and cigarettes should be felonies for posession as well? If not, you're a total hypocrite. If so, at least you're not a hypocrite, but you're still very mistaken.

Who said anything about felonies? He said he just wants a minimum amount of the people who use excessively. I agree, and think alcoholics and chain smokers should be added to the list of people to be kept to a minimum.

Do you think alcohol and cigarettes should be felonies for posession as well? If not, you're a total hypocrite. If so, at least you're not a hypocrite, but you're still very mistaken.

What Krynn said. Besides, the legalization of marijuana is only going to make an already easily accessible drug (probably depends on the area in which you live, though) just a little more attainable. People will always find a way to acquire that which they desire, whether a law stands in their way or not. A bill legalizing marijuana is unnecessary, unless you'd like to see more kids being able to obtain the stuff.

But legalising marijuana will make it less accessible to kids. The only reason kids can get it so easily is because the sale of it is unregulated.

Who said anything about felonies? He said he just wants a minimum amount of the people who use excessively. I agree, and think alcoholics and chain smokers should be added to the list of people to be kept to a minimum.

If you're caught with marijuana here it is a felony offense punishable by prison time. Not county jail, state prison.

What Krynn said. Besides, the legalization of marijuana is only going to make an already easily accessible drug (probably depends on the area in which you live, though) just a little more attainable. People will always find a way to acquire that which they desire, whether a law stands in their way or not. A bill legalizing marijuana is unnecessary, unless you'd like to see more kids being able to obtain the stuff.

You are missing the entire point. Why should people be sent to prison for possessing marijuana? That law needs to be repealed. If I am caught with even a crumb of marijuana where I live it is a felony. A felony means loss of many civil rights and few employers will ever hire you even for minimum wage positions. A felony stays on your record for life, and is nearly impossible to have expunged.

So, because you're afraid of 'more weed being around' then people that ARE going to get it should be sentenced to prison time? That is not okay. At all.

Even if where you live it is only a misdemeanor, do you seriously think somebody with a joint should go to jail for it? Based on what? Who were they victimizing or putting into danger? I'm not talking about DUI or anything like that- DUI is already a crime and should remain so, regardless of the substance.

If you're going to tote the 'well decriminalize it' line then you're just playing into what the cartels want. Decriminalization is a cartel's dream. It keeps distribution illegal which means they stay in business, but their customers no longer face prison. ONLY legalization of the distribution chain will wipe out the black market.

Do you think the mafia wanted alcohol to become legal again in the 20's? They helped lobby and the politicians on their payroll made sure it stayed that way. The second it became legal again the mafia took a huge hit to their finances and had to fall back on the old faithful things 'government says we can't have' like gambling and prostitution- none of which were nearly as profitable as their alcohol selling was.

Like Stigmata said- when I was in high school it was far easier to get a bag of weed than to get a 12 pack of beer, because beer is regulated I'd have to find somebody 21 and over to buy it. There weren't dudes on the corner saying "I got that good beer here homie, keep it on the down low though man" because the store sold it. If it was made illegal I guarantee you that corner drug dealer would have bottles to sell though, and it'd be easier for kids to obtain than if legal.

Yeah, seriously dude, thousands of people going to prison because you think pot-smokers are annoying does not good policy make.

Legalise it now, obv.

I wonder what ads for marijuana will look like?

If you're caught with marijuana here it is a felony offense punishable by prison time. Not county jail, state prison.

Thats irrelevant to what I am saying. I'm saying I dont want potheads, drunks, and chain smokers to exist in such high quantities. Thats all I'm saying. If legalization reduces the number of potheads then great! I doubt it will though. Just like legalizing booze didn't help shit, except making it safer so drunks can live longer and annoy me for longer.

Also, you had shitty connections in High School if you found it even remotely hard to find alcohol.

I'm saying I dont want dogs that look high on high horses to exist in such high quantities. Thats all I'm saying.

People should stop trying to regulate everything under the sun that seems distasteful to them, while having no other direct effect on their lives.

I can't believe I agree with PAT FREAKING ROBERTSON on something, my feet are getting cold...

Thats irrelevant to what I am saying. I'm saying I dont want potheads, drunks, and chain smokers to exist in such high quantities. Thats all I'm saying. If legalization reduces the number of potheads then great! I doubt it will though. Just like legalizing booze didn't help shit, except making it safer so drunks can live longer and annoy me for longer.

Also, you had shitty connections in High School if you found it even remotely hard to find alcohol.
I don't want this to turn this thread into a personal moral battle but are you really basing your opinion of legalisation on how much it will annoy you? Don't the ideas of individual liberty and sensible law/enforcement take precedent over that?

Let's also lock up 90% of internet users because they annoy me.

And, like, dude. Dank nugs are sooooo easy to find and you have to be a retard to get caught. Who cares about those unfortunate ****s who get reamed by the justice system due to bad luck? Status quo's fine, bro. I got mine.

I don't want this to turn this thread into a personal moral battle but are you really basing your opinion of legalisation on how much it will annoy you? Don't the ideas of individual liberty and sensible law/enforcement take precedent over that?
Nope, I am not talking about legalization at all. I'm just saying I hate them and want them all to go away.

I wonder what ads for marijuana will look like?
If regulated I think their advertising would be even more restricted than tobacco is. So basically probably just through cool brand names (which is basically the way it is now for new strains)

I don't think legalization will decrease nor increase the average percentage of users. Legalizing booze definitely did help something - helped to massively decrease gang violence. Events like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre became far rarer, since prohibition is what brought that kind of anarchy in the first place.

Also as far as for in high school, it was always easier to get any drug including hard drugs than alcohol. I'm not saying alcohol was impossible to get, just saying I had to simply walk across campus if I wanted some illegal drugs, vs having someone 21 go to the liquor store for me and wait for them to get back. Regulation increased the burden for me as a minor. Prohibition eased my access. Counter intuitive.

Nope, I am not talking about legalization at all. I'm just saying I hate them and want them all to go away.
That's fine. But what would you vote on a ballot referendum for legalization- yes or no?

I hate people who are in clubs. Illegalize clubs!

Thanks Pat, go **** yourself very slightly less.

He wants it legal because you'd have to be high to buy into the bullshit he peddles.

Finally, a voice of reason in the war on drugs.

I hate people who are in clubs. Illegalize clubs!

Funny, in Northern California the popular term for a medical cannibus dispensary is a "club."

wait, do people think pat robertson actually matters?

anyway, i totally support maintaining the illegality of pot because it annoys Shem and Krynn

I think you're a retard if you use that shit.

No, I have never used it. Nor do I ever intend to. [Love me, I'm awesome.]

Live life on the edge. The Straight Edge.

Just kidding. Straight Edge is silly. Not acting like a retard should be common sense, not a fashion statement.

i think you're a retard for thinking that, and also for thinking that somehow justifies the illegality of it.

I think you're a retard if you use that shit.

No, I have never used it. Nor do I ever intend to. [Love me, I'm awesome.]

Live life on the edge. The Straight Edge.

Just kidding. Straight Edge is silly. Not acting like a retard should be common sense, not a fashion statement.

Considering that it has a number positive medicinal impacts, particularly those with terminal illness, then I think that's a fairly narrow statement to make. I can't tell if you're ****ing with us, though.

Considering that it has a number positive medicinal impacts, particularly those with terminal illness, then I think that's a fairly narrow statement to make. I can't tell if you're ****ing with us, though.

A bit of both really, I was in a shitty mood when I wrote that.

You are right of course, I had not considered that. I was aiming that at recreational users though; the potheads who smell like shit and drop out of school in Year 10 and will probably not achieve anything substantial with their lives (other than pro-legalization of marijuana. hurray etc.)

Those are literally the only people who use weed and using it automatically makes you become like them. Same way everyone who drinks wine is a smelly hobo.

I was aiming that at recreational users though; the consumers of "INSERT CHEMICAL OR ACTIVITY HERE" who smell like shit and drop out of school in Year 10 and will probably not achieve anything substantial with their lives (other than "SUPPORT OF CHEMICAL OR ACTIVITY". hurray etc.)

This probably describes about 50% of the human race. TV, food, cigarettes, being white supremacist, womanizing, video games, basically anything and everything can be an addiction and overshadow more "important" or "noble" pursuits. Further, it doesn't make sense to only consider the worst-case participants. Realistically speaking, you and I are no better than so-called smelly dropout potheads - we could be doing so much more with our lives, but we're arguing on the internet on a forum for videogames.

Hmm, I don't know what to say to that. Parlay?

Back