Picking a car...

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Nissan 2008 Z Coupe 350Z $29,170
Nissan 2008 Z Coupe NISMO $39,340

http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator/en?service=external/SelectTrim&mo=2008:z&bs=350z

Mitsubishi 2009 Lancer Evolution $33,640

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo/08/index.do?loc=en-us

Cadillac CTS 2008 $33,990

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/landing.jsp?model=cts&year=2008

2008 Impreza WRX STI $34,995

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI&command=overview

That's what I'm looking through right now. Any other suggestions. Like a Audi, Subaru?

This was my post a while back. http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2497726#post2497726

Since then i have done some pretty good research and ya. The BMW M3 is like my Favorite but as my first car i don't think I'm going to be able to get it. :(

Should i wait for some near future cars to come out? Should i look into body kits?

Insurance on the Cadillac will be a bitch.

The Evo and NISMO Z probably won't do to hot on gas mileage, then again, none of them will really.

I'd look in to Scion, mainly the tC if your looking for a performance/tuner car. Even though it has low horsepower (161) and is rather slow stock, a few modifications will fix that. http://www.scion.com/#tC

If you've got the money, go all out. Get the Nismo, you filthy rich bastard.

I pick one that has four wheels on it.

go for one that

A: gets good gas milage

B: won't have any problems with potholes/shitty roads and such

C: won't suck to drive in bad traffic

D: all of the above

Nizmo? That thing is hideous :( 2009 Mazda RX-8's hitting the shelf soon.

The new Subie Impreza WRXs are pretty nifty, along with the EvoX. I'd be happy with either of those three.

first car should not be a high powered rear wheel drive car.

A Subaru or the Lancer are all wheel drive, better for rain and snow

For my next car I might build a black/carbon fiber turbocharged Subaru WRX... powered by evil

Oh, I wasn't replying to you, it was just an interjection. Suddenly I just realized this kid is buying a retail packaged race car for his first car, so i came back to recommend front wheel or all wheel drive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• honda-logo.jpg
    honda-logo.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 411
Bought a new civic last year and I've been very happy with it. I think it all depends on your criteria and expectations. In this case I'm guessing looks and a big engine are your main criteria in which case I'd say you have some pretty good choices picked out. Personally I've always been a fan of lancers so I'd prolly go with that but I'd be pretty happy with any of those.

Jesus christ, who gets a brand new car, a performance car no less, for their first.

Freaking aye, everybody should be required to drive a shit wagon for their first 50,000 mi.

I certainly wouldn't mind having that kinda cash to chuck around. :O

I only paid 17k for my current car (Hyundai Tiburon) and I still wouldn't want anything else in terms of style, performance, anything really... when it comes time to get a new car, I'll prolly just get another (whatever year it is) one. :p

So yeah, I'm no help, I just wanted to say I like mine better than any of those and it costs about half of what any of those cost. Sweeeet!

The Evo and NISMO Z probably won't do to hot on gas mileage, then again, none of them will really.

I'd look in to Scion, mainly the tC if your looking for a performance/tuner car. Even though it has low horsepower (161) and is rather slow stock, a few modifications will fix that. http://www.scion.com/#tC

Dont really care for Gas Mileage.

Why is that? About the Cadillac? What makes it have a higher insurance.

I pick one that has four wheels on it.

Huh?

Nizmo? That thing is hideous :( 2009 Mazda RX-8's hitting the shelf soon.

The new Subie Impreza WRXs are pretty nifty, along with the EvoX. I'd be happy with either of those three.

I agree Nizmo doesnt look good at all. But the RX-8 2008 looks just as bad. Any Pictures, info on the 2009 RX-8..

Nvm. Still looks like a chick car, but it is better then the 2008 model.

first car should not be a high powered rear wheel drive car.

A Subaru or the Lancer are all wheel drive, better for rain and snow

For my next car I might build a black/carbon fiber turbocharged Subaru WRX... powered by evil

Explain in more detail please.

What about Audi.

Explain in more detail please.

What about Audi.

A rear wheel drive isn't the safest thing to drive like a maniac in, and considering that this is your first car, you most definitely intend on driving like a maniac in it.

You wont understeer spin out and die in an AWD or FF when you decide it'll be good fun to step on the peddle out of a turn like your foot's a cock and accelerator is a cheap crackwhore.

FR = more touchy.

delorean-profile-512.jpg

Who the heck has a $30,000+ first car?

This is either
1. Rich parents
2. Inheritance
3. Lotto win.

A rear wheel drive isn't the safest thing to drive like a maniac in, and considering that this is your first car, you most definitely intend on driving like a maniac in it.

You wont understeer spin out and die in an AWD or FF when you decide it'll be good fun to step on the peddle out of a turn like your foot's a cock and accelerator is a cheap crackwhore.

FR = more touchy.

I'm a very responsible person, and i don't intend on driving like a maniac. As a matter of fact i don't intend on driving much at all. Its more of a i want a car thing, but ya its about that time. Is there a real reason why i shouldn't get a rear wheel drive? Is it because its hard to drive, or not comfortable in a place like NYC.

delorean-profile-512.jpg

Who the heck has a $30,000+ first car?

This is either
1. Rich parents
2. Inheritance
3. Lotto win.

100% wrong. Its called money management, I'm pretty good at it. I did win the lotto today tho. I won $25 by spending $5 on a ticket then i bought a 10$ ticket and won 10$. lol.

I'm a very responsible person, and i don't intend on driving like a maniac. As a matter of fact i don't intend on driving much at all. Its more of a i want a car thing, but ya its about that time. Is there a real reason why i shouldn't get a rear wheel drive? Is it because its hard to drive, or not comfortable in a place like NYC.

THEN WHY THE **** ARE YOU DROPPING 30K ON A PERFORMANCE CAR THAT WILL ROT IN YOUR GARAGE??????????????

It's a ****ing waste of a car. Buy a Corolla or something.

you have your steers mixed. Understeer is generally what all cars/trucks are designed to do. Simply because all the safety gear in a car is designed to work best in a front end crash. Seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc. However, fwd cars have a much greater tendency to understeer (or push) and rwd cars have a much greater tendency to oversteer (backend steps out).

Understeer is also, in my experience, the #1 killer of cars. Almost every wreck I've been a passenger in has been due to understeer. Everybody understands that if the back end steps out you can let off the gas and countersteer accordingly. But with understeer simply letting off the gas won't always fix the situation. Neither will nailing the brakes, or hammering the gas hoping you can 'pull' the car out of it...or some crap. When people are understeering into a tree, their instincts don't tell them they need to unwind the wheel (and turn into the wreck) to regain some traction. Most of the time they just let off the gas, turn the wheel to full lock in the direction they want to go (i.e. the direction their understeering away from) and/or nail the brakes.

Something that gets high mpg, none of those.
And even if you don't give a shit about your money, it saves time at the pump. Unless you dig that scene or something.

100% wrong. Its called money management, I'm pretty good at it.

How come you can manage money well while you buy a 30k first car and plan to not drive it much? And you don't care about MPG. What do you do for a living? Must be well payed if you're throwing around money like that.

How come you can manage money well while you buy a 30k first car and plan to not drive it much? And you don't care about MPG. What do you do for a living? Must be well payed if you're throwing around money like that.

Its NYC people don't drive much, but its still necessary to have a car. I'm the type of person that likes to have to best, for myself mainly. Makes me all warm inside ;)

For real tho, the only advantage i have is that i don't really have any bills. Everything i make goes to me.

I set myself a goal, start saving then i spend big. Its pretty simple actually. Back to the cars tho please this isn't a thread about my life. I post here because i feel good advice is given. Not to mention the great amount of different opinion.

... Go to www.miniusa.com
  • Build -> Design & Build your own Mini -> John Cooper Works Hardtop
  • Pick your colors (I like laser blue w/ white roof/mirrors/bonnet stripes)
  • Add all the packages (Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience)
  • In step 4, add the Hi-Fi sound system from the "audio" section
  • In step 5, add the JCW Sport Suspension, CF Diffusor, Side Scuttle Grille, Aero Kit, Roof Spoiler, Bonnet Scoop, Shift Knob and Strut Brace

Total comes in at just over $38k... awesome, stylish car with awesome MPG, cheaper than a "luxery" car.

Wouldn't you prefer a bike?

It's your money man, but it seems like an utterly colossal waste to me. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a bike, if I had it to spend of course, and I'm obsessed with bikes. You aren't even into cars.

You could spend a fifth of that and still get a perfectly good car, then invest the rest of it wisely and it will be worth an absolute fortune in a decade. In fact, if you didn't touch the money until you retire, you'd probably have a seven figure retirement fund.

Multi-millionaire at 60...
Or a car you aren't really that interested in anyway.

This is so true. People always want to spend their money when they have it, even on things they might not want. By making the right choices early on (sticking $5,000 a year in a retirement fund instead of getting a new TV), you can wind up rich down the road.

Money doesn't seem to have a great deal of value when you don't have any bills to pay or commitments to keep...but when he has to start covering his own expenses he'll wish he'd saved these huge amounts of cash when it was readily available.

There was a guy in the US who worked as a postman his whole life. Never earned more than $18,000 a year. When he retired he announced to the shock of his family that he had accumulated a personal fortune of $72 million. All because he saved his money instead of squandering it. Makes you think.

I agree Nizmo doesnt look good at all. But the RX-8 2008 looks just as bad. Any Pictures, info on the 2009 RX-8..

Here is a line from rx8club..
1. Most of you knew about the oil dipstick access panel. This was redesigned to have an even longer dip stick to check the oil. So it's not just a cover.

2. The new electric oil metering pump is actually two units and is now located on top of the engine. My EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) shows a really confusing diagram of it. One pump flows metering oil to 4 nozzles while the 2nd unit flows to two more nozzles. Possibly high rpm/load dependent? So now each rotor housing has 3 injection nozzles like the 16x.

3. The oil filter is now located on the lower left side front cover. Nice touch for easier access but here's the kicker, the oil pump is completely redesigned and looks nothing like the previous versions. Maybe the newer pump has upgraded flow capabilities?

4. Redesigned larger capacity oil pan. It's about time!

5. Redesigned larger capacity fuel tank. This is a much needed addition since the manual tranny is mated to 4.77 rear end gear ratios. This thing is gonna drink some fuel.

6. Miata 6speed Manual transmission. I think most new about this already!

7. One touch auto drivers and passengers windows.

8. Added aux input jack.

Options include:

9. Ceterpoint BOSE sound system.

10. AUTO air conditioning.

11. Touch screen navigation.

12. Bluetooth Hand-Free Telephone.
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=140437

Read through that for some great info on the revisions to the 09 RX8
Some pictures...
2009-rx8.jpg

2009-mazda-rx-8-pictures.jpg

Why is that? About the Cadillac? What makes it have a higher insurance.

I honestly don't know much about insurance, but since your young, and this is your first car, your likely to be put in a category that is high-risk, and a high-risk category also has high-rates. Being that a Cadillac is already an expensive luxury sedan, it'll already come with a higher fee then say a 1996 Eclipse GSX.

watch this about auto insurance, maybe it'll help- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhxfviWRQs

Also, in the US, gas is supposed to hit 4-5 dollars over the summer, so look into how many gallons a cars tank can hold, because even if you dont drive much, it'll still hurt when your paying almost 100 bucks to fill your tank :/

It's your money man, but it seems like an utterly colossal waste to me. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a bike, if I had it to spend of course, and I'm obsessed with bikes. You aren't even into cars.

You could spend a fifth of that and still get a perfectly good car, then invest the rest of it wisely and it will be worth an absolute fortune in a decade. In fact, if you didn't touch the money until you retire, you'd probably have a seven figure retirement fund.

Multi-millionaire at 60...
Or a car you aren't really that interested in anyway.

Ya and whats the point of having that money at 60 while not enjoying yourself at your prime....That right there is ****ing ludacris.

Money doesn't seem to have a great deal of value when you don't have any bills to pay or commitments to keep...but when he has to start covering his own expenses he'll wish he'd saved these huge amounts of cash when it was readily available.

There was a guy in the US who worked as a postman his whole life. Never earned more than $18,000 a year. When he retired he announced to the shock of his family that he had accumulated a personal fortune of $72 million. All because he saved his money instead of squandering it. Makes you think.

Nice now i have 72 Million but wait my dick fell off. Oh well. I hate this argument so much. Enjoy life while you can you only have 1. What point is it to have 72 million when you missed out on your glory years. 20's 30's even 40's.

Ya and whats the point of having that money at 60 while not enjoying yourself at your prime....That right there is ****ing ludacris.

Nice now i have 72 Million but wait my dick fell off. Oh well. I hate this argument so much. Enjoy life while you can you only have 1. What point is it to have 72 million when you missed out on your glory years. 20's 30's even 40's.

You still don't make much sense.

If you want to enjoy life while you're in your prime, why not spend that money on something that you'll actually ye know... Enjoy.

Why not spend some of that 30K on something that'll really please you, instead of sit in your garage and make you jizz your pants 3 days out of the month.

"Yeah man, i'm gonna ****ing live life up to the FULLEST! This will be so bad ass, i'll buy hits NISMO 350z, put it in my garage, and LOOK at it! And dude, maybe like, every other week, i'll actually DRIVE it!

Yeah man, this'll be SOO bad ass!"

Back