Pirate games...

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
I just went out to Office Max and got Sid Meier's Pirates for $10... and I can't get enough of it.

I'm now in a huge pirate mood, and was wondering what other games are out there?
I remember hearing about a mod for HL2 awhile ago... it's probably dead now though.

Sid Meier's Pirates rocks! Great game. Too bad I lost one of the CD's.

Supposedly there is a community patch for Pirates of the Caribean that (almost) makes it a decent game.

While not so much "pirates" as "sky-pirates", Skies of Arcadia is still a f*cking awesome game.

Everyone has had their little Pirates! kick. The problem is, you stop playing after two weeks and never start again. I had a grand time with it for a little while though.

So does anybody know of any other games?

I remember stumbling upon a website that was dedicated to just pirate games, but I can't find it. D:

Everyone has had their little Pirates! kick. The problem is, you stop playing after two weeks and never start again. I had a grand time with it for a little while though.

Wow two weeks, I started getting bored of it after around the 2nd time through (after I realized you age and lose everything + start over). It's a great little game while it lasts, but that feeling leaves you real fast.

i play pirates! every couple of weeks and i'm yet to be bored of it..

Was really sceptical about buying Pirates! when it first came out. Glad I did though, love it to bits.

I love Pirates! Simple, yet addictive, if they put it on the DS or PSP i'd buy one just to play it on the road.

Another decent pirate game is hard to find right now, there are some mods out there that are ok.

There is a thread titled "Pirates games..." in a forum full of hardcore gamers and nobody has mentioned Monkey Island yet?

For shame!

I'm revoking all of your nerd licenses. Hand 'em over.

There is a thread titled "Pirates games..." in a forum full of hardcore gamers and nobody has mentioned Monkey Island yet?

For shame!

Meh, I'm not really big on point & click adventure games anyways. :X

I'm really looking for platformers, ship of that era sims, etc.

For shame!

pfft, i'm probably the biggest mi fan i know but it didn't sound like what he was looking for. ;(

I don't need pirate games because I'm a real pirate.

Yeah, if you really like pirates, you will play Monkey Island and its sequels. Platform has to take a backseat to grog-swilling booty-snatching!!!

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to post a few pirate games that I found.

Sea Dogs, came out a few years ago... great third-person RPG, the land combat and controls a little awkward... but you get used to them.
The ship combat is superb, you can target specific areas of a ship and destroy, keep, or just pillage and leave them for dead.
Graphics are... okay, probably great for the time it came out.
Voice acting is terrible.
seadogs07.jpg

Age of Pirates : Caribbean Tales, came out last year... it's gorgeous graphically, it's very buggy though... I got the latest patch and it fixed up all of the crashing.
Land combat is fun, very FPS-like... ship combat is excellent.
It's just very fun, a bit kiddy though.
age_of_pirates_003-large.jpg

I just went out to Office Max and got Sid Meier's Pirates for $10... and I can't get enough of it.

I'm now in a huge pirate mood, and was wondering what other games are out there?
I remember hearing about a mod for HL2 awhile ago... it's probably dead now though.
I seriously thought for a second you mean pirate as in bootleg.

me want pirates

I'm hoping to get into the Pirates of the Burning Seas beta ..it's a quasi historical mmo where you can pick a nationality and command your own ship ..you can be anything from a merchant to a pirate or a member of either England, France or Spain's navy and command a warship ..there's ship combat but also sword fighting and everything else that goes with pirating ..think you can even force someone to walk the plank

I'm hoping to get into the Pirates of the Burning Seas beta ..it's a quasi historical mmo where you can pick a nationality and command your own ship ..you can be anything from a merchant to a pirate or a member of either England, France or Spain's navy and command a warship ..there's ship combat but also sword fighting and everything else that goes with pirating ..think you can even force someone to walk the plank

Yeah, I'm really intrigued by it.
But... the whole monthly fee ordeal puts me off.

I see the monthly as a bargain ..people have no problem paying $60 for 10 hours worth of content yet balk at a monthly fee for content that stretches in the hundreds of hours ..Age of Conan for example has promised 800 hours worth of content ..about 10 months, that's not including free updates and expansions

I think gamers focus too much on the monetary value and not enough on the relative value of the product

Are people still bitching about monthly fees in this day and age? Are you people 12? No, scratch, even 12-year-olds get allowance. Good heavens, $20 or less over the course of an entire MONTH! Why, I could almost take three people to Burger King and get a single meal for each of us with that price! Or two tickets to a movie that lasts two hours. (Or one ticket, popcorn, and a soda)

Some people, man. You act like you live in the poorhouse.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, this game seems awesome. Mayhap Burning Seas will finally let me do what I want, as if I were free.

Are people still bitching about monthly fees in this day and age? Are you people 12? No, scratch, even 12-year-olds get allowance. Good heavens, $20 or less over the course of an entire MONTH! Why, I could almost take three people to Burger King and get a single meal for each of us with that price! Or two tickets to a movie that lasts two hours. (Or one ticket, popcorn, and a soda)

Some people, man. You act like you live in the poorhouse.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, this game seems awesome. Mayhap Burning Seas will finally let me do what I want, as if I were free.

Not everyone has enough time to devote to play one video game on a regular basis. Most of these MMO's are nothing but psychologically addictive repetition fests that provide very little in the way of fun or true enjoyment. If you don't play them a lot, you never get any significant content out of them. You also feel like you need to play them a lot in order to justify the ridiculous monthly fee. $20 every month adds up. When I buy a regular game, I can play it, beat it, then come back to it in 4 months and play it some more if I want. I OWN it. With an MMO your original purchase is only valid as long as you're paying the monthly fee, otherwise you just have a $50 coaster. It's a much worse business model that is extremely disadvantageous to the customer.

However, I love pirate games and the idea of a pirate themed MMO actually makes sense. I still hate the concept but I'll look into it when it comes out. Thanks to this thread I've already decided to get that Caribbean Tales game.

Not everyone has enough time to devote to play one video game on a regular basis. Most of these MMO's are nothing but psychologically addictive repetition fests that provide very little in the way of fun or true enjoyment. If you don't play them a lot, you never get any significant content out of them. You also feel like you need to play them a lot in order to justify the ridiculous monthly fee. $20 every month adds up. When I buy a regular game, I can play it, beat it, then come back to it in 4 months and play it some more if I want. I OWN it. With an MMO your original purchase is only valid as long as you're paying the monthly fee, otherwise you just have a $50 coaster. It's a much worse business model that is extremely disadvantageous to the customer.
I have a City of Villains game that I spent $100 on. Not on monthly fees, on the damn game itself. $10 of that was for fees. I played it for like a month. So I have a $90 dollar coaster. Doesn't make me feel too bad. The thought of that doesn't bother me, personally. If I want to play again I can pay again, that's that.

$10, $20 a month isn't a large amount of money no matter who you are, in my opinion. And depending on how much you game it's probably justifiable. MMOs are repetitious, yes--this is often why I stop playing them, they get old quick--but if you enjoy it it's justified. Like I said, going to a movie costs more than an MMO. If you play games for more than two hours PER MONTH, you're probably getting a better deal than seeing a show.

If you eat out at fast food more than once a month, actually ordering meals and not just a single thing from the dollar menu (which no one ever does...they end up buying five things from the dollar menu), you're probably getting a better deal on an MMO.

I went to Carl's Jr. the other day man, just me and one other person and for two meals it was $16. What the Christ. That's a month of gaming, right there. Six dollar burger and criss-cut fries are delicious though so I'm not really complaining.

you cant blame the game for people's lack of discipline ..I purchased WoW the week it came out and still have yet to get beyond lvl 43 ..every now and then I pick up a gamecard, play a bit and then dont touch it for months. It's only as addictive as you allow it to be

the only thing that I dislike is that if for any reason the servers shut down you're left with a $50 coaster

$10, $20 a month isn't a large amount of money no matter who you are, in my opinion. Some people, man. You act like you live in the poorhouse.

I find it incredibly insulting that somebody can assume to tell me that I am financially well off enough to afford a 'mere' 20 a month, just because they can. 20 bucks pays for a quarter of a tank of fuel which gets me to work for 3 days. Or 3 day's food. Or enough gas to heat my house for a week and a half. Or my medical prescription for 2 months. You need to walk outside in the real world, buddy.

I also find it quite disturbing that people are perfectly happy not only to bend over and let marketing schemes such as additional monthly fees and pay-per-mod and in-game advertising shaft them up the arse, but thankfully let them.

Arguing that monthly fees are cheaper and better value for money in the long run than paying out an initial 50 bucks for a single game with unlimited free online multiplayer just means you need to buy a new calculator that works.

Darkside, if you're still living off the backs of your folks, or selling crack to kiddies, or in a well paid career with pension scheme and dental plan, or have inherited lots of cash from a dead relative, then yes, 20 a month is loose change. Well done you.

Back