Planetside 2 [Rumour]

Reginald

Reaction score
Huge buzz going around the Planetside community today as a survey email said to come from Sony Online Entertainment reveals plans "to expand the Planet Side universe with another game." Also, someone found SOE registered Planetside2.com on Sept. 21.

The email sought help from "loyal player(s) and experienced shooter fan(s)" in designing this next game. "Don't worry about the original PlanetSide, it isn't going anywhere," the mail assures.

The independent site Planetside Universe found the Web site registration, and also reports that it reached John Smedley, the CEO of SOE, who said only, "PlanetSide fans will be happy We have big things planned in the next 12 months. We're working on something new that's really cool."

I have emailed the press contact for SOE to ask if they'd like to shed any more light on this. Should we get a response, I'll update with it here.

Holy shit.

jizz.gif

As I said elsewhere today, "I used to talk to the Planetside devs daily about how awesome the game would be. Then it came out."

I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means, but considering what it COULD have been...I mean if you were ever on the PS boards in the game's early-mid development stages there was so much awesomery planned that was completely cut out.

And the graphics were dumbed down at a point.

And Smokejumper joined the team.

Goddamn it, Smokejumper.

Admittedly I only joined the game shortly after launch so never really got caught up in any pre-release hype. For what it's worth, I think they ended up with a really well-balance game and the best MMO I've ever played. Some of my best gaming memories come from playing an epic campaign for about 6 hours across the course of an evening.

EDIT: Also, SmokeJumper was brilliant.

I loved it. Too bad it was a bit laggy way back when, so I couldn't hit shit. Not to mention I sucked at FPS's.

Man this would be pretty win.

Oh God, oh ****ing GOD.

Do want very much.

OH MY ****ING GOD I JUST CREAMED MYSELF

If they actually go through with this and do well, I might just play again. I loved Planetside and have played it for around 3 years now. I'm not subbed anymore, but a new game would be absolutely ****ing awesome. I can't wait.

$15 I believe, like any other.

decent MMO's

You forgot how bad Planetside has become. BR40 and BO? No please. Overpowered lasher? No thank you. Hackers running rampant? Definitely not.

I remember XP farming in the VR room.

i PLAYED THE CRAP OUT OF PS1 ON MY 700MHZ COMPUTER OMG I REMEMBER GETTING A CD MAILED TO ME FOR THE BETA THOSE WERE THE DAYS CAPS LOCK IS ON BUT IM TOO LAZY TO RETYPE THIS SUBMIT REPLY BITCHES

I ACTUALLY LIKE CAPS LOCK...IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE YOU'RE YELLING WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE WHOSE DOING THE TYPING

I loved it when it first came out. I, however, couldn't afford the subscription nor did i have a good system to run the game at that time. I completely forgot about it eventually and moved onto other games.
By the time i was able to afford and play it without any issues, the game had already gone down the shitter. Now, the game has numerous balancing issues and it's plagued by actual hackers that ruin the experience for others. There's more hackers than legitimate players playing the game. SOE isn't doing a ****ing thing about it as usual. I'd love another Planetside as long SOE isn't involved in it.

Planetside was terrible compared to my expectations.

And I didn't have unrealistic expectations either!

Here's hoping Planetside 2 doesn't suck!

Two weeks ago, word spread among Planetside fans that Sony Online Entertainment would be working on another iteration of the popular MMO FPS. Now John Smedley, the SOE president, has called it "Planetside Next" in a LiveJournal entry.

To me, Planetside Next means we get a chance to take the essence of everything that was fun in Planetside and make it a lot better. Massive battles on a scale no other FPS will touch. None of this 64 player stuff. REALLY MASSIVE. With much better organization, and a tight focus on making sure the action is always going on, with awesome graphics.

No official title has been given - heck, the project has not even been officially announced - making Smedley's use of Next rather curious. And its deliberate capitalization suggests that is at least the working title of this game.

I have emailed the press contact for SOE to ask if this is indeed the new game's title. If I hear anything back, I'll put it here.

Brilliant. :E

Sounds like it will suck if those are the things they're focusing on.

Sounds like it will suck if those are the things they're focusing on.

If that is what they are going to focus on, it should make it better. The allure of Planetside is the massive scale and persistent world; we need more of that. You can get those 64-player deathmatches anywhere, so why settle for the population that Planetside's currently getting? Massive battles being the focus is going to be the best thing for Planetside Next.

Then again, it's SOE.

Is it too much to ask to have an MMOFPS set in a Steampunk universe with persistent stats, super weapons, a humongous world map and physics as intact as the average Source game? (Also throw in a bit of the old ultraviolence). A properly done MMOFPS would drain the last little bit of active humanity left in me.

If Planetside 2 is made "as well" as Planetside was, then it should be no problem with populations and fun fights.

I just got through with playing a 2-hour base hold on Desolation, Oshur. The TR held Jamshid against like 4 or 5 hacks, 7 or 8 gen blows, and pushed out from the spawn rooms to the courtyard and then the tower. I got ~35k BEP from that fight alone, totaling almost 70k BEP for today.

****ing awesome.

Is it too much to ask to have an MMOFPS set in a Steampunk universe with persistent stats, super weapons, a humongous world map and physics as intact as the average Source game? (Also throw in a bit of the old ultraviolence). A properly done MMOFPS would drain the last little bit of active humanity left in me.

I'd love a Steampunk game, period. They are a rarity. The majority of them of crap expect Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Gunman Chronicles.

I hear that Epic Mickey is going to be heavily Steampunk influenced. I wouldn't mind a proper FPS/RPG game ala Fallout 3.

Back