Portal 2 Authoring Tools Beta Released

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
blog_hammer.jpg
[br]If you own a copy of Portal 2 for PC then you now head on over to the 'tools' tab in Steam and download the Portal 2 Authoring Tools for free. According to the Portal 2 blog.
The Portal 2 Authoring Tools include versions of the same tools we used to make Portal 2. They'll allow you to create your own singleplayer and co-op maps, new character skins, 3D models, sound effects, and music.
What is included?
  • Updated version of Hammer, the Source level editor
  • Updated Faceposer
  • Example maps and instances to help build new maps
  • Updated suite of command-line compiling utilities
There are two mailing lists you can join if you're interested in mapping or reporting issues with the beta. See the Portal 2 blog for more info.

I like how valve is letting us use things before they are finished/finalized lately, a lot better than waiting months for an sdk *cough*l4d*cough*. Going to have a look at this.

Can anyone report of the improved version of hammer?

Yeah, it looks just about the same to me.

I like how valve is letting us use things before they are finished/finalized lately, a lot better than waiting months for an sdk *cough*l4d*cough*. Going to have a look at this.

It's pretty much a staple of the SDK since it was first released: that it is neither finished nor finalised. Or even particularly working.

Is there anything different at all, and if so could you give me a quick summary?

AFAIK there are no changes.

I honestly don't have any trouble with this version or the previous version that came with Alien Swarm, but I guess I must be lucky, (though I didn't really map that much for AS, so I am mostly happy to have those features in a game I actually map for).

The main things it has over the pre-L4D versions of hammer is the instancing system, which lets you package large entity trees into an alternate map and then insert it as a single entity prefab, (which is really handy for a game like portal that uses so many repeating gameplay elements) the compiler is a little different too, but it's mostly dull stuff, so I will shut up now!

can I use the model viewer to see the models of portal2?

I hope that the screenshot is right and the Foundry tool does get released and Hammer gets (what I assume is) plugin support.

Back