Portal 2 controversy

A villain in a story said something mean? Call the police!

CBS news actually. Fox wouldn't overreact about a video game that affects one person's emotional stability.

I love how they're like I AM SO DEEPLY OFFENDED BY THIS but they are still playing through the game because it's THAT GOOD.

It was also funny how when they showed the clip of Wheatley saying "fatty fatty no parents" they cut out where Glados says "Whats wrong with being adopted?"

It was also funny how when they showed the clip of Wheatley saying "fatty fatty no parents" they cut out where Glados says "Whats wrong with being adopted?"

Good point. In fact thanks to their editing that was the one line from the sequence they did not play. Granted this is not a big deal, but I think this is a good opportunity for Valve to do something. Why don't they invite the family to Visit them or send Gabe to talk with he girl and parents to clarify and see what can be done in the future.

This^ what a bunch of idots- as well as the fact that all those comments were taken totally out of context.

"Bills itself as being educational"
"We contacted Sony"
Way to do research!

"Passing the buck". Hmm not really, more like advising journalists to do their actual job and contact the right company. Would love to know why they contacted Sony, publisher on the box is EA too?
In full agreement. Will other news outlets recognise this is stupid or will it do that ridiculous spiral of mis-information bullshit that the US news networks love to do?

I'm adopted and people need to get over themselves. Seriously, this is why we have "terrorism" in the world. People just don't have a sense of humor.

Make any joke on a lot of subjects and someone will take it to heart. Of course the writers considered that an adopted person might play the game, they just decided the overall tone was not going to bring up an actual issue. And while we're letting the video game characters control our emotions, we should look at that line that David.Seth2 mentioned about GLaDOS actually defending the PC in the end and helping chell as well as a possible adopted player learn (since the game is educational) that someone's on their side. It's actually really great. Character developement and all that... of course it was left out even though that line meant a lot to me (not because I'm adopted but because it was a powerful moment).

someone (not me) needs to email these fools and highlight the stupidly poor reporting done here. is this something that happens a lot in USandA?

Only with the lemming portion of the population.

overreacting father ... first of all the girl doesn't know a thing about her being adopted so wtf is the problem? Oh wait , the father doesn't know what to do when the girls asks him the obvious question . That is the problem , not Portal 2 .

I feel like that girl's blank stare is the perfect opportunity for some artistic rendering.

Make any joke on a lot of subjects and someone will take it to heart. Of course the writers considered that an adopted person might play the game, they just decided the overall tone was not going to bring up an actual issue. And while we're letting the video game characters control our emotions, we should look at that line that David.Seth2 mentioned about GLaDOS actually defending the PC in the end and helping chell as well as a possible adopted player learn (since the game is educational) that someone's on their side. It's actually really great. Character developement and all that... of course it was left out even though that line meant a lot to me (not because I'm adopted but because it was a powerful moment).
Christ man. Glados wasn't defending Chell's adoption, she was saying that as a part of her struggle to undermine/defeat Wheatley. No ****ing character development, and not exactly a powerful moment.

Christ man. Glados wasn't defending Chell's adoption, she was saying that as a part of her struggle to undermine/defeat Wheatley. No ****ing character development, and not exactly a powerful moment.

Wait I actually remember the line was "what's wrong with being adopted?" followed by "for the record you are adopted and that's terrible." My bad. There were powerful moments in my opinion, though, and there was character development, I just was thinking of different parts.

I remember I did like the line at the time because she was demeaning Wheatley and helping me out, but it's not really defending adoption, no.

I smell some underlying self- or parent-esteem issues with the father at that reaction. Even if he hadn't been paying attention to the game at all, and completely missed the context of those (and the many other insults shot at Chell), that seems to me like it wouldn't pass a 'reasonable person' test. As I type that, I note with some dismay that this will likely be detrimental to that girl's development, but that's another story: even if she didn't hear that quote from the game (which I'll bet she "got" more than he did), she'll definitely pick up on his sensitive vibe about adoption. Also, no concern at all for the fact that both of the antagonists in the game try to kill you?

All your other friends couldn't come either, because you don't have any other friends. Because of how unlikeable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikeable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikeable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. 'Shall not be mourned.' That's exactly what it says. Very formal, very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny, too.
--GLaDOS, Portal

I don't get it. If the dude freaks out about jokes about being adopted, and the original game makes jokes about being adopted, shouldn't he have been able to get that information about a game that he's about to buy for his young child?

You expect everyone that plays a sequel, must have played the original game (how many HL2 players have played HL1?)? Or must have paid attention to all aspects of the original game (remember, that quote is from a rather hectic point in that game)? Or maybe, since Portal actually came out a while ago, when he did play it, he hadn't yet adopted the girl?

"It was literally the worst thing I've ever heard." Lol... let's be melodramatic to the max in hopes that we can get some money from Valve. People are just idiots these days. First of all, the story and situation correspond to the comments. Villains will say bad things to the protagonist. Here's a fun fact: I was adopted. It was a similar situation in that my adoption was blatantly obvious from the onset. My parents made it clear to me when I was very young and at no point was it ever really an issue. It wasn't some earthshattering experience. It happens. And I sure as hell wasn't 10 before I realized it. She will undoubtedly be more traumatized by the fact that the media is going to be up her ass about the issue than the subject alone. Her parents should have used the opportunity to explain that being adopted isn't a disability and videogames have characters that can be mean. Then she can have a headstart on the rest of the stupid kids in the world.

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, I have a better point. It occurs quite early in the game, and makes fun of people in a way that's unmitigated and cuts to the core of who we are, and especially who we are in games that require a little more cerebral activity.

The continual belittling of people with massive brain damage. The game even makes you act out a scene where you mock people with brain damage as confusing speaking with jumping, which I'm sure is not very common. I'm not sure why the guy is surprised that a game that starts out making fun of people for being fat or ugly or brain damaged might *shock* make jokes about being adopted.

As I personally have experience with brain damage (massive is subjective, but at one point, half my body was paralyzed and I still can't use my left hand and the scars still show up in brain scans), I think I have the media-given right to be outraged and demand an apology for this. Truth be told, however, I thought the lines were very funny, especially when I realized that they were having a laugh at something I had a personal connection to.

Maybe you have to be brain damaged to find something like that funny.

That's so ridiculous, take something out of context and run a news story on it.

So he had no problems with all the disparaging jokes about Chell being fat, but make a joke about her being adopted and it's the worst thing he's ever heard?

What a hypocrite.

I've been called a "smelly human" and a "stupid mammal" by this game and frankly, I'm offended!

I've just realised something ... in that second video, the "reporter" calls up Valve and leaves them a voice message.

They totally missed a trick by not having GlaDOS on their answer machine.

Solution: Play games before you let your children play them.

Solution: Play games before you let your children play them.

That's not always feasible. A parent working full-time and caring for his child would find it very difficult to fit in the full playthrough for (e.g.) the original Half Life before having his daughter play the same thing all over again.

On the other hand, Portal 2 is short enough that a busy parent could play through the whole thing before handing it off. It would still be a difficult to fit it in, but if you really want to shelter your children, a week or so to run a playthrough an hour at a time would be a small price to pay.

Back