Portal 2 delayed, E3 Surprise "Portal 2 Themed"

It's always been known that Portal 2 will have co-op. You didn't do much research when it was announced, did you?

Nope, I guess I didn't. I hope Valve doesn't think that adding a co-op mode is what will make Portal 2 "the best game they've ever made."

Half-Life - 1998
Half-Life: Opposing Force - 1999
|Working on Half-Life 2, CS, other mods, golden years of Valve.
Half-Life: Blue Shift - 2001
|Same as the year as 2000 only that Steam is in full development.
|
Half-Life: 2 - 2004
|Still making Episode 1 for whatever reason.
Half-Life: 2 Episode 1 - 2006
Half-Life: 2 Episode 2 - 2007
|
|
|
Portal 2 - 2011?!?!
Half-Life 3, Counter-Strike 2, Team Fortress 3 - The day hell freezes over
Wahhhh wahhh wahhh. You're the whiniest person I have ever known.

2001 > 2004 was the development of the Source engine. Also several revisions of Half-life, lots of Valve grown & investment as well as the production of Counter Strike Source.

2007 onwards - Left 4 Dead (+DLC), Left 4 Dead 2 (+DLC)?

Half-Life - 1998
|
|
|
|
Portal 2 - 2011?!?!

Seriously I can understand the delay between 2001 and 2004. In 2001 they even announced HL2 by then. They had to make the Source engine, Steam, HL2 itself, CS: Source. After that though games related to the Half-Life series have taken a MAJOR backseat to Valve production. Maybe they need to create a Valve West and Valve East? They have been working for too much on games that are getting them quick reactions such as the Portal and Left 4 Dead series. While they have been fun, HL will always be Valve. I just think Valve really have to set their priorities straight. I mean they even got a psychologist and asked how deaf people play games. :| I don't need a psychologist to tell me that I find it very creepy since day 1 that Alyx Vance stares me down while walking backwards all the while talking. I don't need a deaf person to tell me how they play games because sometimes I play with no audio and just music on and there is always cc that can be turned on. Valve are messing with too much fancy ass shit and need to get to the basics on what their company was founded on which is Gordon Freeman whacking aliens with crowbars! They are focusing too much on $$$ and how much they can make a profit off Steam revenue.

I had a thought the other day that the announcement may be something related to the Wii platform or casual games category. Valve mentioned they like the controllers of the Wii and wanted to make something for kids. They also are making these quick campaigns for the Left 4 Dead series, HL episodes, the quick gameplay modes in L4D. Maybe they want to make a casual Valve game? Could be offering movies on Steam which would be great as well.

This post is hilarious. You are a dense individual.

My guess is VALVe have dropped the whole "video game" thing & instead invented a fully functional Portal Gun.

...Actually that would be pretty cool, lol.

This post is hilarious. You are a dense individual.

Wahhhh wahhh wahhh. You're the whiniest person I have ever known.

2001 > 2004 was the development of the Source engine. Also several revisions of Half-life, lots of Valve grown & investment as well as the production of Counter Strike Source.

2007 onwards - Left 4 Dead (+DLC), Left 4 Dead 2 (+DLC)?

You two are just mad Hool figured it all out.

Haha! I think it's epic that VALVe referenced VALVe time themselves in their official statement. At least they have a good sense of humor about it.

Blizzard and 3D Realms are known to get hostile when confronted with their delays.

Half-Life - 1998
|
|
|
|
Portal 2 - 2011?!?!
Valve didn't make Opposing Force or Blue Shift.

And you forgot L4D and L4D2009.

There is one thing that would be interesting and that is either a singleplayer or coop gamemode for TF2

Heh. I like the roadside picnic reference/title. I must get around to reading that book at some point.
I'm having problems finding the book. Is it worth reading? Does it also have decent translation?

Dear Valve, your games are brilliant, you have a funny sense of humour and you surely know how to build the hype. But now, could you please stop talking in riddles and start advertising like a normal company? Rumours and speculations are fun for a while, but there comes a time when your fans would like to hear something true about your projects. Thank you.

Dear Valve, your games are brilliant, you have a funny sense of humour and you surely know how to build the hype. But now, could you please stop talking in riddles and start advertising like a normal company? Rumours and speculations are fun for a while, but there comes a time when your fans would like to hear something true about your projects. Thank you.

This. We've put up with the cute, clever little advertising riddles and hints for long enough. It's time for them to fess up as to what's REALLY happening with Episode Three. It's been almost 3 years, I think we're due a straight answer.

Why? Because we like Half-Life games?

It sure would be nice if they said anything, but by no means do they owe it to us to do so.

Because they decided to break up Half Life 3 into three games, them promising 'we can get them out faster this way'.

Lies, all of it.

So they owe it to us to go back in time and rectify the situation, not to inform us of how Episode 3 is or isn't coming along.

Never. Ever. Trust. Developers. Words. Especially if you have a contract you can sue the living shit out of them with if they **** it all up. I had one with them, but Gabe at my only copy.

Edit - On further contemplation, I've changed my mind somewhat. From a legal and final perspective, nah, we ain't got jack shit we can say to say, "You owe me a progress report." However, if you want to kick em in their metaphoric ethical testicles, then you might have a standpoint to kick off of. Or we can all burn Senor Lombardi on a spit and slowly feed him piece by piece, starting at the toes, to El Gaben.

Valve doesn't "owe" us anything, this is for sure. It's a matter of what is the better way to communicate with fans at the moment. Every single riddle starts speculations and rumours. After all these years of waiting, hype and curiosity turn easily into frustration, so in my opinion a marketing director should evaluate the situation with a different point of view.

I don't see a riddle here. Valve were having a Portal 2 presentation, which they then cancelled in favour of a Portal 2-related surprise. You might not know exactly what the surprise is, but that's the point of it being a surprise. What you do know is that it's related to Portal 2. Valve have very specifically stated that, as well as saying it has nothing to do with Episode 3.

The problem isn't bad marketing on Valve's part, it's dumbass fans who will clutch at any straw, be it ever so tenuous, to connect anything to Episode 3.
If Valve released a statement that quite simply said "Portal 2" then there would be legions of morons that would dissect and overanalyse and end up reading it as "Episode 3"

Fact.

The problem isn't bad marketing on Valve's part, it's dumbass fans who will clutch at any straw, be it ever so tenuous, to connect anything to Episode 3.

Speculating after one year of waiting: fans are dumbass.
Three (and more) years: fans are frustrated, and frustration is bad.

Every normal company, sooner or later reveals what are its plans for major franchises. When fans are left in the dark after all this time, you talk about a "surprise" and you don't expect speculations? We are all dumbasses? Magazines are dumbasses? Come on, they are teasing us for a purpose, but an official statement about the status of the HL franchise is due. My personal opinion.

By the way, I don't feel particularly frustrated, but I think that Valve is making a mistake. Sure, it will sell HL3/Ep3 like hell, but I will keep thinking that communication with the fans is something that needs some change from Valve's part.

If Valve released a statement that quite simply said "Portal 2" then there would be legions of morons that would dissect and overanalyse and end up reading it as "Episode 3"

Fact.

That's the trouble with massive cliff hangers and then no word of it for over 2/3 years.
I must say I feel a little disappointed, but ****.. IT'S PORTAL TWO, be happy that they are talking about some portion of their awesome platter.

no, it's not about years of waiting. they were always dumbasses. especially left 4 dead fans.

Well, Valve sure did not understand the concept of shorter games, faster release times.

The period between Half Life and Half Life 2 is about 6 years. Half Life 2 : EP3 alone has already taken half the amount of time required to develop HL2. Note that during the development of Half Life 2 the source engine was also being developed, and the engine itself probably took more development time than the actual contents of the game.

Half Life 2: EP3 is most likely put on hold for the development of Portal 2 and L4D1/2. In fact, I doubt they have been working on EP 3 much at all, at least not during the first two years after EP 2's release.

That being said, if Ep 3 is not at least 3/4 of Half life 2's length, I would be very disappointed, especially since there has been a complete HL hiatus during these 3 years.

only problem is, gabe could decide to retire at any moment -- he isn't exactly hurting financially. We have no leverage at all to demand a game or even a statement about a game - he knows that even if development takes 10 years or 30 years, people will still buy it when it comes out, except for maybe a couple of extreme radicals who decide to boycott the game.

I just dont understand how some people here get mad at others for wanting ep3. How is it a bad thing for people to want a sequal to a good game that the last thing they heard was supposed to be made but haven't heard a lick of info about. Thats absurd to me.

Because it's repetitive, annoying, and pointless. It doesn't matter how absurd you think it is, it's not going to change a thing. Just shut up and wait and it'll get here when it gets here.

I just dont understand how some people here get mad at others for wanting ep3. How is it a bad thing for people to want a sequal to a good game that the last thing they heard was supposed to be made but haven't heard a lick of info about. Thats absurd to me.
Because most of you under the delusion that it's a finished product that sitting in Valve's shelf gathering dust.

Valve is still working on Episode Three and no you can't have any info about it because it's not ready yet to be revealed to the audience.

As Sheepo said, just shut up and wait and it'll get here when it gets here.

To clarify, i never said it was done. i've been under the assumption that they shelved ep3 to make l4d 1,2 and portal 2, along with something else that they're probably working on. i just think its dumb that you guys as fans wouldnt want to even hear some sort of information about it after 3 years and then get mad at the people who do. esp. you so called moderators. i've been playing the hl series since 98, so if another game is coming out, and i've thoroughly enjoyed the series, you guys are the idiots for thinking that myself and others shouldn't ask for even the slightest bit of info.

I hope there is something at E3 on Portal 2 to convince me that I should be excited about it.

I feel so underwhelmed by the storyline details given thus far. The only point of interest is the time in which it takes place.
Other than that I am totally disappointed by the redundancy of the return to Aperture and the return of GLaDOS.

To clarify, i never said it was done. i've been under the assumption that they shelved ep3 to make l4d 1,2 and portal 2, along with something else that they're probably working on.
They're not, so you can stop thinking that.
i just think its dumb that you guys as fans wouldnt want to even hear some sort of information about it after 3 years and then get mad at the people who do. esp. you so called moderators. i've been playing the hl series since 98, so if another game is coming out, and i've thoroughly enjoyed the series, you guys are the idiots for thinking that myself and others shouldn't ask for even the slightest bit of info.

Not pointlessly complaining on an internet forum =/= Not wanting information

Pointlessly complaining on an internet forum =/= Asking for the slightest bit of info

No matter how much or little we see of it, it moves towards us at the exact same rate.

i just think its dumb that you guys as fans wouldnt want to even hear some sort of information about it after 3 years and then get mad at the people who do. esp. you so called moderators.

It's not that people don't want more information, it's that people posting whiny-ass messages about how mad they are at valve in every thread related to news from Valve gets really old, really fast.

so called moderator

I don't get mad at the people who want info about Episode 3. I get mad at the people that arbitrarily decide that anything Valve say (especially about Portal 2) is some kind of secret message about Episode 3. Then I ban them.

I don't get mad at the people who want info about Episode 3. I get mad at the people that arbitrarily decide that anything Valve say (especially about Portal 2) is some kind of secret message about Episode 3. Then I ban them.

we get the picture pi.

Sorry guys. I don't whine because I'm a patient man and I'm not that fanatic about Half-Life. But until Valve will find the time to clarify something about their most beloved franchise, rumours and speculations will never cease.

You have to live with that.

Plus speculation is fun.

34e3lzc.jpg
Just joking, man :)

I agree with rjthrog.

This is very frustrating. It is an embarrassment for the half-life franchise that two games from the same franchise have been released since episode 2. It is even more embarrassing that portal 2 is being released before episode 2.

Portal 2 was a good game and all but common. It is not going to do THAT good for valve. We have every right to be frustrated. If they would have not done the whole episodic idea from the start, we would have a half-life 3 by now.

I started playing half-life when I was 12 and now I am 24. We are all in the same boat and moving on into different things in our lives besides playing games. Valve is going to lose their half-life 1 audience soon. We can't stay young forever ;).

Back