Portal 2 Gameplay Videos in HD [Updated]

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Valve has released the first part of their Portal 2 E3 Demo in HD. Part 1 introduces you to Wheatley, a Personality Sphere and one of the new characters in the game.[br]
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9Tgm2TCW3g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9Tgm2TCW3g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>[br]​
The other parts will be released throughout this week.

annoying voice, recognize it from somewhere... feels like stock british voice, or some sort of kids tv host/voiceover. still, ace.

Hopefully they'll add some "robotic effects" to Weatley's voice. The voice acting is alright but it sounds really weird when a personality sphere talks like a normal human.

Also, wacky new sounds when passing through a portal.

how about a personality sphere with a funny indian accent

Also, wacky new sounds when passing through a portal.

Agreed, if it comes out and sounds like that, I'll probably replace them with the old sounds before playing. <3 PC

Sounds kinda like Rickee Jurvays.

Its supposedly an animator standing in as the voice actor.

Anyways, I hadn't seen any of this yet, looks fantastic. Six more parts though? Feels spoilery. I think I'll initiate Operation BLACKOUT on this.

Its supposedly an animator standing in as the voice actor.

Anyways, I hadn't seen any of this yet, looks fantastic. Six more parts though? Feels spoilery. I think I'll initiate Operation BLACKOUT* on this.

*incidently.

they're saying they may keep his voice due to popular reaction.

I just came a little. Unfortunately I'm at Work and thus unable to hear the voice, but I'm not fussed.

Funny voice, reminds me of Monty Python. It fits with the comic mood of Portal, I like it.

Wheatley should be voiced by Simon Bird off of The Inbetweeners.

That's amazing. Reminds me of Russel Brand too.

The background ambience and sound effects (especially with glados reactivating) are incredible. Add a new depth over the steadycam videos.

As for the voice... it's ok until "you did what?" That line in particular just seems too direct and out of place, like you could tell it was being recorded by a voice actor in a sound booth. Mind you everything else from Wheatley was fully believable and immersive. I'm sure there's still a lot of fine-tuning to do so that's not really much of an issue anyway.

The curiosity sphere wasn't all that digital, nor was the angry sphere. I don't see why this should be much different. Cake sphere is an exception, it was just reciting a recipe.

Baaad voice-acting

I'm having immense difficulty working out why anyone would think Wheatley's current voice was useable. Perhaps it appeals if you're not actually from the UK, but to me it sounds only suitable for a game designed for 4 year olds. The contrast to the amazing voice acting of Glados only makes that worse.

Dear God, I do hope Valve didn't decide to keep that voice because they'd heard some people found it amusing. It's really quite bad. Apologies to whoever was doing the voice-acting...

Parts 2 & 3 (faith plates and excursion funnels) are posted on Valve's FTP. I'll be uploading them soon.

I was concerned when I first heard about some of these new features, but it looks like VALVe once again will deliver with awesomeness.

God dammit.

After seeing the new features in action I'm going to feel so retarded trying to solve the puzzles.

I'm having immense difficulty working out why anyone would think Wheatley's current voice was useable. Perhaps it appeals if you're not actually from the UK, but to me it sounds only suitable for a game designed for 4 year olds. The contrast to the amazing voice acting of Glados only makes that worse.

Dear God, I do hope Valve didn't decide to keep that voice because they'd heard some people found it amusing. It's really quite bad. Apologies to whoever was doing the voice-acting...

You know what they say about opinions...

I'm having immense difficulty working out why anyone would think Wheatley's current voice was useable. Perhaps it appeals if you're not actually from the UK, but to me it sounds only suitable for a game designed for 4 year olds.

It's like when you hear italians on movies talking strange, making dumb gestures and funny expressions: italians don't talk or act like that. But from a comedic point of view, not being british, that voice might be actually funny.

If Noel Fielding did the voice acting... = instant win.

If Noel Fielding did the voice acting... = instant win.

Agreed. What we get instead is someone who sounds like they're acting for an episode of tellytubbies. I'm wondering if it's a bit like Gimli in the two towers telling Aragorn: "you're going to have to toss me." Did no-one pass that script by anyone who wasn't kiwi?

Agreed. What we get instead is someone who sounds like they're acting for an episode of tellytubbies. I'm wondering if it's a bit like Gimli in the two towers telling Aragorn: "you're going to have to toss me." Did no-one pass that script by anyone who wasn't kiwi?

If you think about it, wouldn't a voice that reminds one of a teletubbies announcer fit in with all the other Aperture Science robots with their cutesy voices?

I thought it sounded quite natural.

I thought it sounded downright awful. But from the looks of it I doubt that you'll have to lug him around the entire game so even if they did keep the voice acting the same it wouldn't be a huge loss.

I am very impressed with the updated source engine looks like they have added lots of new stuff it looks very real compared to hl2 epi 2.

So guess if or when we get hl2 epi 3 the graphics will be fantastic.

Oohhh! It burns! :O I love the discouragement beams.

Also, I noticed something weird with the shadows in part 5 as he's going down the hallway to the last room. When he is about to enter the room the lighting suddenly changes and there are much better shadows cast. The transition was quite rough and threw me off quite a bit. I'm sure this will be fixed, it wasn't something that was very visible in the low quality vids.

Wheatley sounds like a voice off Thomas the Tank Engine.

Back