Possible

Scydow

Reaction score
Because the other posts are locked, based on this theory I had a "interesting" theory.

Start of theory

What if the Seven Hour War was a direct link from the defeat of GLaDOS, in the same timeframe.
As GLaDOS got a mind of "her" own thus creating the era of singularity, the point of no return, the facility of Apature Science became obsessed with the discontinuation of the portal project, giving GLaDOS a meaning of evaporating them all, making her free.
As theory's of portal describe the model of GLaDOS being a female hanging upside down, her own creation (Chell) will be that in which her captivation can reach, the female android (constructed as human) Chell.
Example here.

Now on to the Seven Hour War part.
When Chell finally succeeds in destroying GLaDOS, the faith of Chell and GLaDOS remains unclear.
What if GLaDOS used the portal technology to port herself to another world, mining that Chell was killed in the initial blast.
For example, she moved to the world of the Combine by sheer accident.
The portal technology was so unstable because the core of the system lies within Appeture and that was "destroyed".

Then the Seven Hour War would start because of the use of the Portal technology the combine got from her, letting the combine enter each and every world they would want.
They could have killed GLaDOS (if it was her that ported ) or made her supreme leader due to her portal technology (unlikely).
It is far-fetches at best but not impossible, the accident could have the same effect the Resonance Cascade had, creating a portal to XEN.
Also mind that the original Portal gun had to have a 2 way streak between world to do that.
Maybe Combine combined the use of wormhole technology they have(?), with the technology they got from GLaDOS.

End of theory.

Constructive criticism is welcome, bashful destruction of my theory not very.
So what do you guys think?

Interesting theory, but I thought the 7 hour had already taken place during the events of Portal. GLaDOS even makes a remark about that the outside world has changed (or something to that effect). I always interpreted that remark as the fact we were in a combine invaded world.

edit: GLaDOS to Chell: "Are you trying to escape? Things have changed since the last time you left the building... Whats going on out there will make you wish you were back in here"

Interesting theory, but I thought the 7 hour had already taken place during the events of Portal. GLaDOS even makes a remark about that the outside world has changed (or something to that effect). I always interpreted that remark as the fact we were in a combine invaded world.

edit: GLaDOS to Chell: "Are you trying to escape? Things have changed since the last time you left the building... Whats going on out there will make you wish you were back in here"

Thank you for your insightful reply, yes she does say that.
The thing is, what if she is not talking about the Seven Hour War, but the Resonance Cascade, the thing that triggered it all.
All that time between the Resonance Cascade and the Seven Hour War, she was making copy's and copy's of Chell in order to set her free (based on another PORTAL theory not made by me that suggest GLaDOS made Chell and numerous copy's of her to free her).
And when that after all that time worked, my theory happened.

It is a complicated world, Half Life 2.

It could be.Or it couldn't.Maybe GLaDOS was referring to the portal storm and headcrab shit that was going on.Remember,first it was the portal storms and then the Combine came.

Well, you don't have to worry about me being bashful. I'm usually fairly uninhibited in my criticism. Though I suspect that's not what you meant, so I'll pull my punches.

When Chell finally succeeds in destroying GLaDOS, the faith of Chell and GLaDOS remains unclear.

GLaDOS seems to have been splattered on the pavement outside Aperture Science, judging from the last scene.

How does your theory deal with that?

Well, you don't have to worry about me being bashful. I'm usually fairly uninhibited in my criticism. Though I suspect that's not what you meant, so I'll pull my punches.

GLaDOS seems to have been splattered on the pavement outside Aperture Science, judging from the last scene.

How does your theory deal with that?

Well it sure seems that she is disabled, but she is ( in my theory ) in a state of singularity, meaning she has the means to repair herself.
This can fall into the large timeframe between the resonance cascade and the seven hour war, she needed time to repair herself because only part of her (read: the parts that fell out of her) were destroyed, her vital system still remained in Appeture.

Well it sure seems that she is disabled, but she is ( in my theory ) in a state of singularity, meaning she has the means to repair herself.
This can fall into the large timeframe between the resonance cascade and the seven hour war, she needed time to repair herself because only part of her (read: the parts that fell out of her) were destroyed, her vital system still remained in Appeture.

But the Aperture science "labs" where pretty much blown to hell/buried deeply under ground, and she is demolished, no way she can repair herself.

But the Aperture science "labs" where pretty much blown to hell/buried deeply under ground, and she is demolished, no way she can repair herself.

First, you are right the explosion occured and it sure was not a small one, even though we cannot say for sure that the entire facility was destroyed, certainly a large part is gone.

Second, look at the ending of PORTAL, they way GLaDOS was sucked into the air suggest (for me ) at the last minute she ported herself ( it is the same effect, glow, sound and color as the super portal found in the beginning of episode 2) to the combine world perhaps, or to another facility of appeture, taking in notice there were more then one facility.
Yes, there was a part of GLaDOS lying on the floor, maybe a part that was not in time because the portal was closing/exploding.

Third, on the off hand that she was completely destroyed and nothing was left to survive, couldn't it be possible for CHELL to continue in my theory in the place of GLaDOS? Unlikely but still...

Back