Post Your Desktops the "Willie will give you bananas if you do eet" Edition

Attachments

• space.jpg
    space.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 376
Haha, no that's not the reason for the trollface. :LOL: Automatic resize...fixed them now.

Why do you people use multiple monitors.

It's never having to hit alt+tab in between two documents you're editing. It's keeping tabs on your IMs or system monitors while you're in a full-screen game. It's USE A GODDAMN QUESTION MARK WHEN YOU ASK A QUESTION. Who do you think you are, Vegeta.

I am aware of the "Put a period at the end when you're asking a question you really don't care about hearing the answer to" device, though.

Unless you're the type that likes to use minimized windows a lot and juggle things around multiple monitors is a huge difference over a single monitor. Code editor in one monitor and browser with references on the other. If I wasn't as big of a gamer as I am I'd swap to 24" or bigger IPS panels.

Sounds like you could just use a single WS with W7 and use the drag and fit method. That's what I do anyways. I just can't see any appeal with two monitors unless it was absolutely necessary.

Sounds like you could just use a single WS with W7 and use the drag and fit method. That's what I do anyways. I just can't see any appeal with two monitors unless it was absolutely necessary.

What do you mean by "absolutely necessary"?

It's done for convenience. For example right now I have Photoshop open on one monitor and I use the browser in the other window to display a Color Scheme Designer, to take peeks at reference, search for a solution when I'm not sure how to do something in PS etc. Earlier I was playing the Kerbal Space Program and I was using my secondary monitor to display the game, so that I could quickly check at what stage of the flight I'm in when i was doing something else on the primary monitor.

Actually in my case I have two monitors because I use a laptop and wanted something bigger than 15'', so i bought a standalone monitor. Most of the time I use one monitor, but when I need to move between windows a lot, I use both.

Another thing - when I work with photographs, by using two monitors I can see how the color adjustments I make make them look both of them - the colors on the primary are more rich, while the laptop monitor has them more washed out. That way I can more accurately get an idea how other people will see those photos on their monitors, considering there's a lot of different configurations and I have a higher chance of making them look decent on most of them.

It just seems like a hassle to switch views all the time. My perception is that you have to be a multitaskaholic to get a real benefit. Maybe it's just me though, I mean it's not like I don't multitask but it feels right to have it all right there. I know a guy who has 6 of them and all he had to say about it was "just for the hell of it." Guess it's a niche thing.

It just seems like a hassle to switch views all the time.

It seems like we're using the same argument for opposite reasons - exactly, it's a hassle to switch views. With two monitors you're not switching anything, you shift your eyes to the side and you see what you need and then shift back to what you were doing.

Say, you were solving a math problem on a piece of paper (#1) and had necessary formulas that you need to use written on another piece of paper (#2). Would you write the equations on paper #1 with paper #2 beneath it, so that you had to pull it out each time you needed to check for a formula? Or would you rather put paper #2 beside paper #1 so that you could instantaneously look at it when needed? It's just easier to do the latter and it improves workflow. It's not even multitasking in this case.

But I'd say that having 6 monitors for the hell of it is a niche thing.

It seems like we're using the same argument for opposite reasons - exactly, it's a hassle to switch views. With two monitors you're not switching anything, you shift your eyes to the side and you see what you need and then shift back to what you were doing.

Say, you were solving a math problem on a piece of paper (#1) and had necessary formulas that you need to use written on another piece of paper (#2). Would you write the equations on paper #1 with paper #2 beneath it, so that you had to pull it out each time you needed to check for a formula? Or would you rather put paper #2 beside paper #1 so that you could instantaneously look at it when needed? It's just easier to do the latter and it improves workflow. It's not even multitasking in this case.
My point is you could have it all on one paper. I suppose what you would call cramped I would call easier.
But I'd say that having 6 monitors for the hell of it is a niche thing.
I meant for any number higher than 1.

Might as well post a desk now.

OJlSm.jpg

Edit: This uploader...

Attachments

• desktop.PNG
    desktop.PNG
    66.6 KB · Views: 462
  • desktopbw.png
    desktopbw.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 445
It just seems like a hassle to switch views all the time.

Testing some web application. Need to tweak a line. I wouldn't call moving your head slightly a hassle either. Having to juggle applications is a hassle.

Scenario 1: click text editor and have that take over my screen
Scenario 2: Move mouse to text editor on second monitor.
Scenario 3: Have both windows up at the same time and have to scroll windows because my main display isn't big enough.

Scenario 2 is the winner. Once you've tried it you will never go back.

I've gotten all my multitasking done with window locking. I simply don't need a full widescreen per window to get things of that sort done. I FEEL like it could have some application that's worthwhile, but I just haven't heard it yet. Or maybe you're a heavier programmer, I sure as shit wouldn't call myself one. I could imagine having to have 4 windows up and having to monitor them all simultaneously for some purpose. I might even be looking for the right reason to do it in the distant future since I seem to care so much.

If it were feasible for me (and the UI was friendly enough), I think I would prefer some super panoramic shit like this:

TYn64.jpg

My dual monitor situation at work is one horizontal for browsing and normal windows shit, and the other oriented vertically that just has code.

Resized one of of the images from the Guild Wars 2 Asset Kit (HD version). Looks much better without the watermarks and appears to be of higher quality. The resize of the screenshot doesn't do it justice.

attachment.php

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 866
Desktop on my Work Laptop (RockMelon's Logo):

workdesktop.png

Desktop on my Personal Laptop:

personaldesktop.png

Nope. I pretty much browse only three sites. Halflife2.net, Flamesofwar.com, and boards.4chan.org/hr/

/hr/ is the only part of that site worth a dime, and its generally hit or miss. I sometimes go to /gif/ as well, but havent gone there much recently since theres never any new content. hl2.net and fow.com either post images I already got from 4chan, or post images that don't merit saving.

I didn't even know that term existed until just now. I saved them for their arts.

CsSGo.jpg

**** cleanliness.

Also, Onwee, I demand the source for that right now holy shiiiiiiiiit.

****ING EMPTY YOUR RECYCLE BINS GODAMMIT

Is it just me? I cant ****ing stand it when i have shit in there

****ING EMPTY YOUR RECYCLE BINS GODAMMIT

Is it just me? I cant ****ing stand it when i have shit in there

Two-step delete serves a purpose. Maybe you should find an icon theme where the nonempty recycle bin is the same as the empty one.

Shift+delete master race reporting in.

Also, does anyone else think we need a wallpapers dump? A thread separate from the image dump specifically for posting wallpaper-resolution images.

Also, **** yeah! Printscreen in Ubuntu lets you save images rather than just copy to clipboard!

UFqFP.png

Also,

Back