Pre-Purchase The Orange Box, Play Team Fortress 2 Next Week

Getting this as soon as my brother gets home - do we get peggle now? or with the rest of the Box {non-TF2}?

$44? So yeah around 20 queen heads, thanks to the dollar being so fu***ng weak :) Seems to be a lot of confusion over the boxes/packages though. I think I might just pre-order EP2, TF2 & Portal ...... is that what costs $44?

I was going to upgrade but now I'm wondering how EP2 will run on my system. I'd say EP2 is going to be a fair bit more demanding than previos instalments. Unless Valve have worked some magic with their coding.

Only significant difference to Orange Box is that they've introduced a new 'super-high' texture option afaik, which means more RAM required.

So anybody checked out the GCFs yet? They've got commentary in TF2, which I was surprised at, and also the taunts are v funny.

Holy shit! Only $44.95?! That is a steal!
You'd be rather dimwitted not to grab this opportunity to get so much gaming goodness for so little money.
And TF2 Beta on monday! Jesus ****ing Christ, this is just too much.
I gotta lay down.

I just blindly pre-purchased the Box, and now I feel easily manipulated.

Quote from http://www.fortress-forever.com/:

"Just an addendum; i'm sure you've heard that TF2 has now announced they will release on the same date, so we are looking at getting this in your hands sooner than September 17th to ensure everyone will get some time to play before the beheamoth comes."

Good decision if you ask me.

People need to think a bit before proclaiming this as "cheap". TF2 is the most expensive MP-portion any company has released and all the Orange box portions are over-priced. By over-pricing the individual components, they change your perception of what's expensive and what isn't, making a $45 packet easier to swallow.

Oh, and they throw in a demo. Excuse me, beta, my bad.
Don't forget a shortened 10 level version of Peggle! ;)

People need to think a bit before proclaiming this as "cheap". TF2 is the most expensive MP-portion any company has released and all the Orange box portions are over-priced. By over-pricing the individual components, they change your perception of what's expensive and what isn't, making a $45 packet easier to swallow.

Oh, and they throw in a demo. Excuse me, beta, my bad.

I think you're a cheapskate.

I think they need to give us the option buy the games separately.

This packaging thing is nice for people who have almost none of the HL2 games, but for those of us that already have it and only want say, Portal and TF2... we're stuck with everything else, Oh no wait we can give them to somebody else! Wow! Giving them something we paid money for!
Ffs, some of us don't like to buy other people games out of a random act of kindness.

That's true. The idea of "giving" away Hl2 and Ep1 is ridiculous I'm not giving a game away for nothing even to a friend!

It's acts like this that can destroy the business economy............just kidding :p

This packaging thing is nice for people who have almost none of the HL2 games, but for those of us that already have it and only want say, Portal and TF2... we're stuck with everything else, Oh no wait we can give them to somebody else! Wow! Giving them something we paid money for!
Ffs, some of us don't like to buy other people games out of a random act of kindness.

Or you can buy the games without hl2 and ep2. It's only $80 then. You don't seem to understand that you get hl2 and ep2 for free. I thought people went crazy for free stuff nowadays.

Santa is gonna be angry at you this Christmas then. Expect coal and rubberbands.

I don't see why everybody is outraged at the price of OB. For 3 brand new games, you pay $44.95. For most brand new games, they're $50-70 apiece.

If you're so uncomfortable with paying for one of the games in the package, be prepared to shut up and wait for them to sell them separately.

Wait a minute, if you buy trough steam do you have to pay extra because of VAT/sales tax of your country. A currency calculator calculated that the package would cost me 30,- euro's. Which kicks monkey balls, but will I actually just pay 30,- euro's.

You're not paying for HL2 and EP1. Those are free. This is not hard to grasp people.

Anyone complaing about the price of the Orange Box - 3 games by the way - is a cheapskate. That said, more flexible purchasing options would be great. No doubt those will come after release, but the flexibility to choose which game and when would be jolly. But still, this is a package people – the Orange Box, just like other games that come with extra additions. Technically, Portal is part of the HL universe and weaves into Episode 2; TF2 is the multiplayer portion.

£20 for 3 new games is a steal. :O

So HL2 and Ep1 are for free? I though the Black Box was 10$ cheaper than the Orange Box?

You're not paying for HL2 and EP1. Those are free. This is not hard to grasp people.
If Cadburys put a chocolate bar on the market - called the 'Orange Bar', say with a portion on it claiming it was '40% Extra Free!!' yet didn't ever release a version of the chocolate bar that was 60% of the size, how could the claim that there was '40% Extra Free' ever be true?

And then, what if that 40% of free chocolate bar also happened to be the Dairy Milk bar that you consumed 3 years ago? And what if espionage from top confectionery industry insiders revealed that there was once a version of the 'Orange Bar' that didn't contain that Dairy Milk bar, and was rumoured to be two-thirds of the price? My eyebrow would rise as much as it did when I heard that Cadbury were retooling 'Raisin the Bar' to contain aesthetically pleasing caramel and a fraction of the raisins.

I'll be pre-ordering this tonight solely for the TF2 beta.

$44? So yeah around 20 queen heads, thanks to the dollar being so fu***ng weak :) Seems to be a lot of confusion over the boxes/packages though. I think I might just pre-order EP2, TF2 & Portal ...... is that what costs $44?

I was going to upgrade (see current system in signature below) but now I'm wondering how EP2 will run on my system. I'd say EP2 is going to be a fair bit more demanding than previous instalments. Unless Valve have worked some magic with their coding maybe?

Oh my god you can listen to the class sounds. Scout sound awesome, and annoying!

"Yo I need help cappin'!"
"Am I gunna have to capture this thing by myself?"
"DEFEND THE FREAKIN POINT!"
"What am I gunna have to defend this thing by myself?
"This did not just happen!"
"This sucks on ice."
"No seriously, you all suck."
"What the hell is you guys' problem?!"

"I broke your stupid crap, moron"
"Hows that feel, wimp?!"

"GET ON THE FREAKIN' POINT, YOU DUMBASS"
"What the hell is wrong with you? Stand on the freakin' point!"
"Would you kindly move your ass to the freakin' point?"
"How's the weather over there, dumbass? Get to the freakin' point."

If Cadburys put a chocolate bar on the market - called the 'Orange Bar', say with a portion on it claiming it was '40% Extra Free!!' yet didn't ever release a version of the chocolate bar that was 60% of the size, how could the claim that there was '40% Extra Free' ever be true?

And then, what if that 40% of free chocolate bar also happened to be the Dairy Milk bar that you consumed 3 years ago? And what if espionage from top confectionery industry insiders revealed that there was once a version of the 'Orange Bar' that didn't contain that Dairy Milk bar, and was rumoured to be two-thirds of the price? My eyebrow would rise as much as it did when I heard that Cadbury were retooling 'Raisin the Bar' to contain aesthetically pleasing caramel and a fraction of the raisins.

Good point. Don't forget you can give the 40% of free chocolate to your friend! ^^

Imagine if Sony did something like that. Most people here would be like "OMG, new low" etc.

Wait a minute, if you buy trough steam do you have to pay extra because of VAT/sales tax of your country. A currency calculator calculated that the package would cost me 30,- euro's. Which kicks monkey balls, but will I actually just pay 30,- euro's.

Ahem! People

Only the difference is 3 games that each add up to somewhere in the realm of 15 hours+ is simply ridiculously generous at two thirds the price. Pretty much every game on the market is upwards of $45 or what have you; the Orange Box has twice the value of normal games. The Black Box wasn't favoured by retails and really, who can blame them when 3 games were going for such a low price.

Pissing and moaning over the Orange Box is cheap and laughable. And HL2 and EP1 are free; if they weren't included in the Orange Box the price would not change. That means they are free. Pretty soon I should imagine there will be more flexibility in terms of what people purchase, but right now that's the package. Like any other game that comes with multiplayer and an extra addition in terms of gameplay. That's the package.

I'm not complaining about the price. It's an awesome bundle. 3 new games and 2 other games for $50?! It's unbelievable. Anyone who complains about that price obviously does not live in the same world where other games normally cost $50 by themselves. Even if you just play 2 of those new games that is a lot better deal than other games on the market.

BUT you can't say HL2 and EP1 is included in the bundle for free. It's a very small amount over what it would have been without and awesome deal but not for free. Black box was valued at $40, Orange box PC $50 and Orange box for the consoles at $60.
edit: Who ever I gift the games to will get it free. ;)

I'd still much rather buy them separately... what's so terrible about that?

Pissing and moaning over the Orange Box is cheap and laughable. And HL2 and EP1 are free
Well of course they're free. No one who doesn't have HL2+Ep1 are going straight to the Orange Box, and very little people are getting Orange Box because of HL2+Ep1. It's a fake freebie.

Valve has (correctly) figured that the majority of people already have the originals so they throw it in anyway only to get more players who don't want to jump in to the middle of a serial.

Back