PS4 Thread (+PS3)

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
I know myself and at least a couple others here are planning on getting one, so this thread needed to happen. I'll be updating it for as long as the forum software lets me with info and PSN usernames, and hopefully we can organise some PS3 gaming in the weeks leading up to launch.

Hardware

6N0OECM.jpg

8GB unified DDR5 memory with an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar" 8-core APU (CPU+GPU). Apparently clocked at 1.6GHz, identical to the Xbone, but rumours have been circulating that Sony can/will boost it to 2.0GHz without hurting yields because they use a simpler chip design - the Xbone sports the same basic Jaguar APU, but it has an additional 32MB EDRAM with nearly 200GBps theoretical bandwidth. There were also rumours about Microsoft getting poor yields because of this additional complexity.

The Dualshock4 seems to be much more ergonomic than the '3. No longer just a rectangle with two circles and triangle handles, it finally has concave analog triggers and grooved thumbsticks, and adds a touchscreen, while removing the analog functionality of the face buttons. Rumble is in.

It does not come with the new PS Eye, thank god. It also seems like it doesn't come with a stand.

Software

Known exclusives:
  • Basement Crawl [indie]
  • DriveClub [semi-F2P]
  • Doki-Doki Universe [indie]
  • Hohokum [indie]
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • The Order: 1886
  • Super Stardust sequel [indie]
Known launch titles:
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Battlefield 4
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • DriveClub [semi-F2P]
  • FA 14
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Madden NFL 25
  • NBA 2K14
  • NBA Live 14
  • Need for Speed Rivals
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Warframe [F2P]
  • The Witness

Now, here's some inFAMOUS: Second Son gameplay in glorious 1080p (it plays out a little differently than the first, equally-smooth time it was shown at E3, so it's very unlikely to be anything but realtime play):

I'm not a huge fan of Infamous 1 and 2, but I always saw the potential for something much stronger. This looks about like what I hoped for. I really like that he's a fire Conduit this time around, electricity was getting boring and the fire abilities look really dynamic.
The geomancing soldiers are ****ing RAD AS HECK HOLY SHIT

PSN

I might make a Google spreadsheet so we can see who has which games. For now I guess I can list them to the side or something.

_User ____________________ PSN ___________________ Games
Bad^Hat ............... BadHatNZ ................. The Last of Us
Deathmaster ........ THEE_SHINIGAMI ......
Shem .................... Lefty_Guns_1107 .....
Sliver .................... Sliverrr ...................... The Last of Us
Stigmata ............... RustyCinnamon ........ KZ 2/3, The Last of Us, RDR
TollBooth Willie ..... DankNugs22 .............

I don't have a PS3 but I keep getting mails from Sony saying I'm on PSN and to change my password so I guess my name is actually Ryan?

I don't have a PS3 but I keep getting mails from Sony saying I'm on PSN and to change my password so I guess my name is actually Ryan?
Oh, shit, why didn't you tell me? If you get any other alerts about "mysterious" accounts, let me know asap before I lose them.

Shem you best be listing your PSN. Deathmaster, get Armored Core or something else with mechs so I can say "Get in the robot, Shini" on voicechat.

PSN: Lefty_Guns_1107

Give me an add mates.

New HD screenshots from Killzone, Infamous, and Knack were released. The article I got them from describes Infamous as a launch title, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, but it looks good.

inFAMOUS: Second Son
63Inh97.jpg

ZCvO3NG.jpg

vtmFN4B.jpg

SoWT4TT.jpg

w3XliK1.jpg

Killzone: Shadow Fall
QNxY0Zt.jpg

ndpe0oo.jpg

Bjf1l3k.jpg

Knack
i4QlR6E.jpg

gLO4McE.jpg

The article I got them from[/url] describes Infamous as a launch title, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, but it looks good.
Didn't Sony themselves say that at the PS4 Reveal?

Nope, everything I've read says it's coming out early 2014. Some sites say April 1st which is a Tuesday next year so it sounds legit to me.

Infamous looks as boring as the previous games

The next and probably last game I'll get for the PS3 is going to be Beyond Two Souls. The wait is proving to be longer than expected. Might replay Heavy Rain in the meantime.

Ok well I think Journey just ousted Okami as the most genuinely beautiful game I've ever played. Like holy shit.

Heads up for those who are interested: Sony is streaming their GamesCom conference at 1PM EST tomorrow (the 20th) and will be showing off some new games.

Official Sony link with a cute n' sexy countdown: http://gamescom.eu.playstation.com/

Gamespot and IGN will also be streaming it, presumably among others.

We get a release date tomorrow, finally. Neat to see if that leaked October 21st date holds up. Personally I think it will be the beginning of November.

I'm confident it'll be either the 21st or the 25th. At E3, Tretton (I think) defined the "holiday season" that PS4 would be out for as "October, November, and December", and they don't seem to have had any yield issues since then.

Personally I'm most excited to see what Killzone's multiplayer is like, and what the new titles are.

Launching November 15th. That gives me a month and a half to play GTA:O on PS3. :)

Back