Put on your thinking caps

PorkPi

Spy
Reaction score
Like me, you're probably hoping for more content in your Portal 2, be it challenge chambers, additional co-op courses, hats, gestures, whatever. What do you wish to have added to Portal 2? Here's a thread for any clever (or otherwise) ideas you may have.

I'm thinking a good co-op course would be one based on crushers and booby-traps. Things like the crushers, turrets, and those little bomb spheres have a lot of potential. I also would like to encounter one of those fat turrets in a real situation. And I think crushers are very funny and there could be some good crusher-evasion puzzles.

- New co-op test chambers*
- Challenge versions of the existing co-op test chambers
- Challenge chambers and time trials for the existing singleplayer test chambers
- New singleplayer test chambers*

* I wouldn't mind new gameplay mechanics in those.

I want challenge mode like in the first game. Also, any new puzzles would be awesome, but I'm more excited about community maps than any official DLC. I reaaaaaally want more coop levels.

Challenge maps with really intricate puzzles. All three paints, funnels and bridges all in one chamber.
Also the sticky paint from Tag (apparently it was taken out for giving people motion sickness).
The ball and socket puzzles from Portal 1 back. The discouragement beam replaced it nicely but there's no timing or bouncing element to it.
More actiony turret based chambers. You never had to react to the sudden presence of turrets in 2.
Paint that reflects thermal discouragment beams.
Paint that creates a solid permanent (non-portalable) platfrom when it hits water or a light bridge.
Magnetic/charged cubes that attract or repel each other.
Chambers where you have to strategically place and destroy cubes.
Paint that makes surfaces unportalable.

I think the combined use of light bridges and conversion gel would be cool, since we've had to use repulsion gel on them. I mean putting conversion gel on the bridges to make them into portal surfaces.

- MAP STREAMING for the pc users signel (may be mp to)

I never got any community maps for the original Portal. Were there any that were as good as the game's puzzles?

Just had a thought. I don't know how well it would go over, but what about a competitive test? Like a race or something that actually pits the two bots against each other. I know that kinda defeats the purpose of co-op bots but if it was like one or two chambers it could be justified as GLaDOS messing with you.

A race type map is pretty much un-replayable once you've beaten it once. Unless you had a randomized map that changed each playthrough, but still generated solvable chambers. Eventually, though, experienced players would learn the rules behind it and be able to quickly beat anything they were presented with, much like rubiks cubes (eg, you know that the game never creates levels that require light bridges + propulsion gel combinations, and that it never creates levels that require discouragement beams + companion cubes).

A race type map is pretty much un-replayable once you've beaten it once.
The idea is a competition between two players. Are you saying that once you race one person you'll never want to race another on of your friends again?

The idea is a competition between two players. Are you saying that once you race one person you'll never want to race another on of your friends again?

I Was thinking about racing, except after the first time or two it would just come down to execution and that would get boring...

But if they put some kind of... dynamic environment where you could also sabotage your opponent... that would be pretty great for a lengthy period of time. There's also a lot of puzzles they could create given all the stuff they have available now.

well I'm still on Chapter 6 but I think it would be cool if they added a make your own puzzle mode. they could make it very simplified and it would be fun to give it a try.

well I'm still on Chapter 6 but I think it would be cool if they added a make your own puzzle mode. they could make it very simplified and it would be fun to give it a try.

What, like an easy to use level editor you mean? That is an awesome idea.

What, like an easy to use level editor you mean? That is an awesome idea.

like snap to grid, drop in drop out of objects, start and end points, size of room, and soundtrack options. it would probably be easy to implement and if Valve were to do a sequel they could make one easily by looking at what people liked the most about user created levels.

like snap to grid, drop in drop out of objects, start and end points, size of room, and soundtrack options. it would probably be easy to implement and if Valve were to do a sequel they could make one easily by looking at what people liked the most about user created levels.
Someone made that for Portal 1 in Gmod I think. Or it might have been its own mod. I saw it on Youtube.

Back