Rate the last movie you watched (DON'T POST SPOILERS Y' EEJITS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glo-Boy said:
Would I suck more if I told you that I thought Requiem For A Dream was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life?
Your taste is beyond comprehession, but good for you that this guy complimented you on your work.

I'll take back what i said, you dont suck at life, but your taste in movies, for someone who appears to be a filmmaker, sucks.

DeusExMachinia said:
Hell yes it does.

Fargo 9.5/10

I love the Coen brothers.

Aye. Great movie, got the special edition on DVD. Watched Big Lebowski for the first time yesteday and it was bloody good. But my fav Coen movie has to be O Brother Where Art Thou.

Glo-Boy said:
Fight Club 5/10

If there was only a such thing as an e-gun.

David Fincher > You.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 8/10 Enjoyed it, love these movies.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Aazkaban - 8.5/10 - More dark than the others.

Let me explain why I think Fight Club sucked.

The five points I gave to it were all points of awesomeness. Really really fantastic actors. Excellent hidden points, such as hating people who mirror your own lies and such.

However, I thought it was too pompous as a whole, I thought Brad Pitt's character was unintentionally hypocritical. That shook the foundation of the movie. He kept telling Ed Burns to lose his material possessions, to forget about vanity - while he was wearing $600 glasses, a coat that probably cost twice as much, a funky, new age haircut, washboard abs... The list goes on. There are a few other things here and there, but I thought it was sort of amateur the way they messed up hard on a few things. Special Effects were way overdone too.

Requiem isn't the worst, I take it back. Stealing Harvard is probably the worst. Requiem just pisses me off to no end, and I DO honestly feel that Aronofsky is one of the most horrid directors in the industry.

EDIT: For good measure, J. R. (this guy http://imdb.com/name/nm0712057/) is my cinematography professor. I certainly am no godsend. In fact, in the same few sentences where he said it was shot brilliantly, he slammed me on having some crappy dissolves and exposure issues.

Harryz said:
If there was only a such thing as an e-gun.

Yes, someone would use it on you for liking the Big Lebowski. Just one pseudo "smart-people" comedy out of many.

Glo-Boy said:
Yes, someone would use it on you for liking the Big Lebowski. Just one pseudo "smart-people" comedy out of many.

What the hell are you talking about? Pseudo-intellectual comedy? Is that what you just called the Big Lebowski? Jesus christ people like you piss me off. For someone who calls themselves a filmmaker, you sure don't know what the hell you're talking about.

1. The Big Lebowski is a homage to film noirs that took place in California.
2. Its a goddamn comedy that doesn't even take half a brain to get. How does it come off as pseudo-intellectual?
3. And, how about learning when to use the phrase "psuedo-intellectual" correctly. Not everything that has a "cult" following or is "independant" means its a goddamn psuedo-intellectual piece of work.

And Brad Pitt's character being like that was part of the film. Its something called "irony."

Glo-Boy said:

*Shock shock horror horror*

Okay, its your opinion and nothing can change that, but just out of curiosity, what movies do you actually enjoy?

DeusExMachinia said:
What the hell are you talking about? Pseudo-intellectual comedy? Is that what you just called the Big Lebowski? Jesus christ people like you piss me off. For someone who calls themselves a filmmaker, you sure don't know what the hell you're talking about.

1. The Big Lebowski is a homage to film noirs that took place in California.
2. Its a goddamn comedy that doesn't even take half a brain to get. How does it come off as pseudo-intellectual?
3. And, how about learning when to use the phrase "psuedo-intellectual" correctly. Not everything that has a "cult" following or is "independant" means its a goddamn psuedo-intellectual piece of work.

And Brad Pitt's character being like that was part of the film. Its something called "irony."

I like lots of independent movies. Cult movies are okay sometimes. Donnie Darko was enjoyable, but didn't deserve NEARLY the acclaim it got.

You're wrong, Lebowski IS a pseudo-smart people comedy. That's just the way it is. If you can't grasp this, then you obviously have a lot to learn. It becomes evident when they all start opening their mouths and using their stupid little catch phrases and big words.

Also, that's not true about Pitt's character. That is not true at all. His outfits were designed to look like they came out of a thrift store (except we see through that.) Much as his house was a shithole too.

Harryz said:
*Shock shock horror horror*

Okay, its your opinion and nothing can change that, but just out of curiosity, what movies do you actually enjoy?

My favorite drama is Heat.

My favorite action is The Transporter

My favorite comedy is Waiting for Guffman.

My favorite horror is probably the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

My favorite indie is Smoke Signals.

Yes, your opinion is above all of ours. Every single thing you say is correct. Everything we say is wrong.

Lebowski is NOT a pseudo-intellectual comedy. You don't know what you're talking about.

And it is true about Pitt's character. I own the DVD. I own the novel. I think I know what I'm talking about. Its something called "interperation."

But, I will agree with you on Donnie Darko. A good film, but nowhere near "OMFGZ THIS IS TEH GREATEST FILM EVA."

DeusExMachinia said:
Its something called "interperation."

Right, so you can interpret how you want to, and I will do the same.

EDIT: I also own the DVD and the novel. I just picked up the DVD recently. I guess that makes two of us who don't know what we're talking about, according to your logic. Anyway, I'm done arguing about fight club. Someone attack my favorites, debates are always fun. However, I might not be able to respond in a timely fashion, as I'm busy wrapping up a short documentary today (which is probably going to suck).

How is it you interperated that the Big Lebowski is a pseudo-intellectual comedy? I'd love to hear this.

It's a movie designed to make stoned fat kids feel clever and edgy with it's big words and odd camerawork. After about 10 minutes of that, it's like "Okay, we get it, you're smart, get on with the movie now..."

The Coen brothers are great moviemakers. I enjoyed Fargo immensely. O' Brother was good too. I just hate this movie in particular.

I don't really like the Big Lebowski either.

The Thin Red Line - 7/10
American Beauty - 10/10

Glo-Boy said:
EDIT: I also own the DVD and the novel. I just picked up the DVD recently. I guess that makes two of us who don't know what we're talking about, according to your logic. Anyway, I'm done arguing about fight club. Someone attack my favorites, debates are always fun. However, I might not be able to respond in a timely fashion, as I'm busy wrapping up a short documentary today (which is probably going to suck).

Well...The Transporter? I mean, the action was good, but just about any 1980s John Woo film puts it to shame. Hell, Heat is a better action movie than the Transporter.

And honestly, I thought Waiting for Guffman wasn't very funny at all. But besides that, pretty good. Especially Heat.

Anyways....

The Crow: City of Angels 6.5/10

This movie could've been great if the producers hadn't made the Director make it exactly like the first Crow.

Glo-Boy said:
It's a movie designed to make stoned fat kids feel clever and edgy with it's big words and odd camerawork. After about 10 minutes of that, it's like "Okay, we get it, you're smart, get on with the movie now..."
Who's smart? The Dude? I couldn't name 1 big word in this movie. I also couldn't see any "odd" camerawork other than in the dream sequences. And it's called "inventive" not "odd".

As someone suggested before - you fail at life.

AVP2 = 4/10 was poo, there was no relation the the earlier ones.
SNIPER 5/10 was ok, i think it was made on a budget.

The Big Lebowski is pseudo-intellectual? What the ****?

It's a gigantic farce of ideas grabbed out of a hat and tossed onto a screen. There is no hidden message. There is nothing to debate. There's nothing to ponder. It's a bunch of people bitching at each other in a world full of real-life loony tunes. The plotline of some kidnap mystery is only used to string the eccentric script together, and even then it's placed far into the background where anybody watching the film largely forgets about it.

It's a stupid funny movie that any half-brained idiot could "get". You don't need some elite decoder ring for it.

Glo-Boy, I'm honestly beginning to wonder if you can attack anything without also attacking its audiences. Case in point, calling people who enjoyed The Big Lebowski stoned fat kids.

Meh, can't say I agree with that score.

John Q could have been great if it got a bit more dramatic and had some more morally ambiguous situations. Perhaps if some of the hostages died. But instead he goes in there with a gun, befriends everybody, and the subject material becomes pretty watered down.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 5/10

Some bits were good, some bits were pretty bad...

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was great, particulalrly Depp as Wonka :) Worthy to sit along side the original (and was more faithful to the book). I shall give it a ..... 9!

Hotel Rwanda - 9/10 Moving stuff.

War of the Worlds on DVD , it's actually pants....6/10

Absinthe said:
The Big Lebowski is pseudo-intellectual? What the ****?

It's a gigantic farce of ideas grabbed out of a hat and tossed onto a screen. There is no hidden message. There is nothing to debate. There's nothing to ponder. It's a bunch of people bitching at each other in a world full of real-life loony tunes. The plotline of some kidnap mystery is only used to string the eccentric script together, and even then it's placed far into the background where anybody watching the film largely forgets about it.

It's a stupid funny movie that any half-brained idiot could "get". You don't need some elite decoder ring for it.

Glo-Boy, I'm honestly beginning to wonder if you can attack anything without also attacking its audiences. Case in point, calling people who enjoyed The Big Lebowski stoned fat kids.

I just didn't like it. I felt like the movie insulted my intelligence or something. I know that the movie wasn't actually difficult to get, but the sort of mentality behind the movie, to me, was that the Coen brothers DID want you to feel like you were the only one with the secret decoder ring.

A lot of the time I attack things that I feel were made for a crappy demographic. Almost everyone I know in real life who likes that movie is a fat dude who smokes bad weed, and quotes Tolstoy. Obviously there are exceptions. You aren't a fat dude. I'm sure a lot of people on this board aren't fat dudes. You smoke weed, I smoke weed, I'm sure plenty others here smoke weed who do and don't like Lebowski... Tell you what, I'll rent the movie, because I haven't seen it for like 4 years and I'll come back and tell you what I think.

Took my Mother to see the Potter movie. I haven't read the book, so I don't know what was altered/omitted, but on the face of it the movie was okay, so 7/10 from me.

Oddly enough, everyone I know who likes the Big Lebowski (myself included) are more mellow than most. They're not "intellectuals" and don't have their screws turned so tight that they can't enjoy a dumb and bizarre movie. Trying to (seriously) analyze a movie like that is just so besides the point of it.

ghosts of mars
1/10

its one and not zero because it made me laugh very hard at how ludricous it all was :D

Cinderella Man - 7.25/10. True story, pretty cool.

Oddly enough, everyone I know who likes the Big Lebowski (myself included) are more mellow than most. They're not "intellectuals" and don't have their screws turned so tight that they can't enjoy a dumb and bizarre movie. Trying to (seriously) analyze a movie like that is just so besides the point of it.
You might be right, I'm pretty mellow. Although, if you like The Dude as a character I don't see how you could hate this movie. A lot of "intellectuals" looks down to hippies like The Dude therefore will probably hate the movie from the offset, which is sad.

Ong-Bak - 8/10
Some really nice fighting and stunts in this film. No strings or CGI and all that nonesence either. Story could have been a bit better.

Zathura 4/10

Jumanji in space. Take out a half an hour of special effects and acting, and then replace the word "jungle" with "outer space." Then, replace the good child acting with terrible, awful, worst-I've-ever-seen child acting. Poke many holes through the plot and make huge budget cuts. Add in a somewhat famous name for 5 minutes (Tim Robbins) and you've got yourself a "movie."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back