RC on Sept 15

tvharti

Spy
Reaction score
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/01/news_6106283.html
-> HL2 being released in Nov.

Posted on Gamespots Rumor Control:

Before asking Vivendi for confirmation, we went to marketing rep Doug Lombardi at Valve. "We're currently planning to send release candidates to Vivendi by September 15th," he told us. The timing's right. "However," he adds before we can get our hopes up, "VUG hasn't given us a ship date yet. Might be best for you to ask them directly. Let me know what you hear."

Valve statements = NOT THE TRUTH.

There will be no sending of release candidates to anyone on September 15th. Valve just say this sort of crap all the time.

Ahahhahahaha.

Worst time keepers ever.

September 15th is my birthday. :)

Erm, release in november, preload in september? that doesn't really make sense.

so much for the release before summer is (technically) over. :thumbs:

MaxiKana said:
Erm, release in november, preload in september? that doesn't really make sense.

In the wacky world of Doug Lombardi time is non-linear..

Sparta said:
This is like, what? the second RC?

The first; surprise surprise valve are a month and ten days late. :dozey:

jimbones said:
In the wacky world of Doug Lombardi time is non-linear..
Haha that made me chuckle :)

But yeah. Preload NOW & release in November. I think not. I hope not.

Can people stop making up stuff?

Valve said that they were going to submit the first RC after the CS:S beta. They said that they should be sumiting the first RC in August but then the CS:S beta started a week late.

Gamespot are the only people saying that Half-Life 2 is coming out in November. Not Valve nor Vivendi. So don't go saying that Vivendi have set a date of November when it's finished in September. Gamespot said "The timings right" but it's not.

Gabe Newell said:
The reason we are doing this is primarily to find out what problems
there are with the Source engine when we give it to a couple of hundred
thousand people.

We're doing this before we RC Half-Life 2 to give us time to fix any
issues that surface (e.g. "on this graphics card with this version of
this BIOS and this video adapter the game won't run in widescreen
modes").

There we go. Gabe was referring to the CS:S beta in this post.

Alec_85 said:
Haha that made me chuckle :)

But yeah. Preload NOW & release in November. I think not. I hope not.

Valve said further preloads will happen in the next couple of weeks ...
I wonder what they mean with "couple of weeks": could be about 8 more ;)

Feath said:
[Quote = Gabe Newell]
The reason we are doing this is primarily to find out what problems
there are with the Source engine when we give it to a couple of hundred
thousand people.

We're doing this before we RC Half-Life 2 to give us time to fix any
issues that surface (e.g. "on this graphics card with this version of
this BIOS and this video adapter the game won't run in widescreen
modes").

owned.

Why even bother quoting Valve? They spin as much bs as people like me!!!

Seriously, they have completely destroyed any trust I may have once had in the information they release.

I love having a forum filled with gamedevelopment experts, they're always so well thought out, what Valve says is BS, what these experts say MUST be true.

tvharti said:
Valve said further preloads will happen in the next couple of weeks ...
I wonder what they mean with "couple of weeks": could be about 8 more ;)

guys, i wander how many phases of this preload stuff we need to go through until "de" release. have any body ask this question yet ? i mean like sending a e-mail or some thing.

PvtRyan said:
what Valve says is BS
That's right! Someone agrees with me!!!

:cat: This emoticon is clearly underused. Who else thinks so?

Mr-Fusion said:
Why even bother quoting Valve? They spin as much bs as people like me!!!

Seriously, they have completely destroyed any trust I may have once had in the information they release.

Why bother going to a Half-Life 2 fansite then if you are just going to complain ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME.

Valve are no worse at dates than other developers. I read in another thread that someone's brother was taking the piss out of him because Half-Life 2 didn't come out on time but Doom 3 did. This is funny because I'd recently read in a magazine the quote "This little beauty will only come into its own, though, whenwe get games like Doom III, games written by genius level coders to bring us the true effects of what can be managed by a Geforce 3". Just because id didn't give an exact date till 2 weeks before release doesn't mean they are somehow better at making deadlines. Noone expected Doom III to come out in August 2004 and id certainately weren't claiming that it was going to come out then. They gave a series of estimations that weren't met.

The only difference between Valve and id is that Valve said one date.

Why are you going to a fansite if all you're going to do is praise and grovel at the feet of Valve ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME.

....oh yeah.....crap...lol

Until i'm banned i'll continue to spam my annoyingly negative opinion of all things Valve.

Mr-Fusion said:
Why are you going to a fansite if all you're going to do is praise and grovel at the feet of Valve ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME.

....oh yeah.....crap...lol

Until i'm banned i'll continue to spam my annoyingly negative opinion of all things Valve.

I don't praise and grovel. I argue against people making stupid claims against Valve.

Mr-Fusion said:
That's right! Someone agrees with me!!!

Yeah, I mean, what has Valve done? Made like one game, what? Six years ago? We've got at least a lifetime of experience of bitching behind the pc monitor! It's obvious who's the winner here, right?

DigiQ8 said:
i dont think HL2 will EVER release....

yes. this game will never see the light of day and the second bad thing about this all is, that valve says somehting, but in the end, they can't hold it.

valve = 3drealms

lonestar said:
yes. this game will never see the light of day and the second bad thing about this all is, that valve says somehting, but in the end, they can't hold it.

valve = 3drealms

So you're saying that the CS:S beta was never released, and the preloads never happend?

Euhm guys, I clicked the link, but where is the "doug Lombardi said" part...?

GuNzABlaZiN said:
So you're saying that the CS:S beta was never released, and the preloads never happend?

*puts on tin foil hat*

Yes, that's right, every screen you saw of CS:S was from a pre-rendered scene, and everyone who claims to have played it, is hired (read: brainwashed by the FBI) by Valve to fool the people into buying CZ (which never release either, but that's a different story) and take over the world.

Geez am I the only who sees the glass half filled?

If they send an RC by the 15th of september than the game would be right around the corner. We're waited a year...what's another 3 or 4 weeks? And what will they miss summer by? Two weeks? Four weeks? Big deal...after a year delay I'm not really caring about four more weeks.

Plus the preload thing ...why do it now if they aren't close? And the CS:S beta is getting close to an end.

I don't know, all these things seem to say we are closing in on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Xrenity said:
Euhm guys, I clicked the link, but where is the "doug Lombardi said" part...?

Ye olde Gamespotte said:
Source: A Wedbush Morgan report issued earlier this week.

The official story: "No comment." – a VU Games spokesperson.

What we heard: Analyst Michael Pachter's report states it clear as day: "…we also expect three PC games to break the million-unit threshold in 2004, including… November's Vivendi-Universal (V-Not Rated) release Half-Life 2."

Before asking Vivendi for confirmation, we went to marketing rep Doug Lombardi at Valve. "We're currently planning to send release candidates to Vivendi by September 15th," he told us. The timing's right. "However," he adds before we can get our hopes up, "VUG hasn't given us a ship date yet. Might be best for you to ask them directly. Let me know what you hear."

Bogus or not bogus?: GameSpot to Doug: They said "No comment." Seriously, if they're not telling you, you figure they'd tell us, right? Right? GameSpot to readers: In any case: Not bogus. Happy Thanksgiving.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6106680.html

Too bad, it was looking like a late-sept release until now (it was to me anyway). Why it would take Vivendi one and a half month to accept an RC (which valve must have bugtested to death by now) and ship it I don't know, but apparently gamespot does :rolleyes:.

Either way, I've had a year to exercise my patience, I can handle another month or two of waiting.

PvtRyan said:
Yeah, I mean, what has Valve done? Made like one game, what? Six years ago? We've got at least a lifetime of experience of bitching behind the pc monitor! It's obvious who's the winner here, right?

Yeah, they made one game six years ago.

And guess what? People are still playing it and it's mods, because of the hard work that Valve have put in over those 6 years.

i don't see no doug lambardi quote on gamespot... all it says is november's release of hl2. people should learn to stop posting crap :thumbs:

Striker said:
i don't see no doug lambardi quote on gamespot... all it says is november's release of hl2. people should learn to stop posting crap :thumbs:

Erm, look again.

EDIT: Unless you are actually looking for a quote by Doug Lambardi. In which case, your sentence is totally true.

Back