RC on Sept 15

bahh if its releaced in novembber its gonna be effed mgs2 vs gta SA Vs half life 2 =(

wonkers said:
They never once apologized for Sept 30
Actually they did.
But hey, who cares heh?

Also I find it a bit weird Gamespot has got to ask Vivendi and tell Doug what they say :s

cmon guys, 16 days till the game is bug free!!! lets go!

oh wait that was a couple months ago, my bad.
:D

its not a big deal, the game might be out this year, thats the best we can hope for :)

on an unrelated note, the open beta of Tribes: Vengeance, kicks major ass.. even if you arent a huge Tribes fan (Im not really).

...I was following HL2 pretty close I don't remember them apologizing. If you want to prove me wrong post a link to their apology. I really don't think they did.

wonkers said:
...I was following HL2 pretty close I don't remember them apologizing. If you want to prove me wrong post a link to their apology. I really don't think they did.
It was in one Dutch/Belgian magazine.

+ I don't think you'll like it if you're making a game and you dissappoint many people.

...I am not dutch and I think there are more people interested in the game in North America than in Europe or the rest of the world combined.

No apology is what I thought.

i'll wait on confirmation from doug, but if this is true its a real shame its not going to be released this month. ive been expecting a sept 30th release date for some time now, which is looking more and more unlikely :(

if it actually goes gold on the 15th, now that'll be worth celebrating :E

either way i can wait really.

coming soon

I doubt a november release due to two RAYSONS:
the preload has already started, meaning that we downloaded 2 gigs that will remain inactive for two and a half months.
the caption above halflife 2 in Steam displays as "coming soon." This means its coming VERY soon, not in another couple of months, but so soon that no one will know of its arrival until some dumbwitted professor researches it and confirms its arrival.

wonkers said:
...I am not dutch and I think there are more people interested in the game in North America than in Europe or the rest of the world combined.

No apology is what I thought.
Im pretty sure Gabe said something like:
yeah we woulda never made that date, sorry about that.

or something along those lines.
then again I dont really expect an apology from a game company... it would be nice, but all I expect is a good game.

iicehawk15 said:
I doubt a november release due to two RAYSONS:
the preload has already started, meaning that we downloaded 2 gigs that will remain inactive for two and a half months.
the caption above halflife 2 in Steam displays as "coming soon." This means its coming VERY soon, not in another couple of months, but so soon that no one will know of its arrival until some dumbwitted professor researches it and confirms its arrival.
Valve dont care about any of that.. and "soon" to valve is well... the benchmark was coming soon last year, so was the sdk... hell so was the game :)

I do think it's strange lombardi would say we need to ask vivendi directly, what the hell. Could mean he is playing a little game with us and vivendi will be like it's releasing next month and then valve laughs at us and it's like a little suprise, but thats EXTREMELLY wishful thinking. Most likely they are just in neutral in knowing what is going to happen. Could go GOLD this month or next. The worst thing valve can do is screw up on a gold/release date given, that'd make them look soooooooo bad.

JANUARY
FEBRUARY
MARCH
APRIL
MAY
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER
NOVEMBER ...

There is a month we're all failing to notice, folks.

nge001 said:
JANUARY
FEBRUARY
MARCH
APRIL
MAY
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER
NOVEMBER ...

There is a month we're all failing to notice, folks.

Don't you know already? Even the slightest form of optimism is not allowed when it comes to discussion of release dates

But it doesn't make sense.

I doubt Valve would preload this early to let the cache's sit on our hard drives for over a month, just waiting for them to be hacked.

If the RC does ship on the 15th, October seems likely.

nge001 said:
But it doesn't make sense.

I doubt Valve would preload this early to let the cache's sit on our hard drives for over a month, just waiting for them to be hacked.

If the RC does ship on the 15th, October seems likely.

well technically all we have right now is some textures and sound files.. so I doubt that Valve care if people look at those.
its not like its playable or anything.

Sound=spoilers

If major spoilers get out, it could stop some people from playing the game

I totally forgot about October, and it seems to fit in the picture better

don't get this...

Let's say Valve sends the RC on the 15th as planned. And let's also say that Vivendi plays it for a week to check for bugs. Now, assuming they don't find any (which they probably won't. or if they do find one and it's small they may just say screw it.) That puts us on sep. 22. If the game is bug-free that means it will go gold.

So, Valve announces gold on the 22nd. Give 2-3 weeks for manufacturing and shipping and that puts us at a mid october release. Now first of all, yes this is pretty much making up dates. But I can't imagine valve drawing this game out until november. That's 2 months! 2 months to do what? bug test cs:s? I don't think so. Pre load the game? That doesn't take 2 months now does it?

So what the hell!? Why would it take until _NOVEMBER_ to get this game out?

he's so damn right, there are only 2 things that can clear things up.

1. Valve is aiming at the high selling season for games ( that is november/december (due to x-mas)

2.Ati wants Valve to wait because of the new radeon thingy coming out real soon, if im not mistaken it will go retail around oct/nov.

but these are facts we will never get our hands on , these are.. marketing skills.. how to drain more money from your customers.

well technically all we have right now is some textures and sound files.. so I doubt that Valve care if people look at those.

Actually, it's textures, models, and sounds.
It is essentially the whole game, only thing that is missing are the core files for running the game, .exes, .dlls, .etc.

NEW real report = Valve cant make a release date, never to be released.
haha G4 made a joke about gabe on tv today LOL

nge001 said:
It is essentially the whole game, only thing that is missing are the core files for running the game, .exes, .dlls, .etc.

Maps? :)

nge001 said:
I say NO to models. Coding, Maps & Models remain AFAIK.

Under the textures .gcf, there are models.

And yes, I forgot to mention maps, which along with coding will most likely be the last preload.

nge001 said:
Under the textures .gcf, there are models.

And yes, I forgot to mention maps, which along with coding will most likely be the last preload.
I think I stand corrected. Dunno.

DoctorGordon said:
Sound=spoilers

If major spoilers get out, it could stop some people from playing the game

I can just see it. . .
Headline from the Future:

Valve gets out of the videogame industry- cites low customer demand for the interactive visual aspects of games. Decides to only produce collections of audio effects, which will retail at approximately $39.95. Valve's Founder, Gabe Newell : "Who knew that people enjoyed listening to our random gunshot effects and dialogue samples so much that they didn't even want to play the rest of our videogames at all. By switching over to pure audio, we can give the customer more of what they want, while slashing our productions costs by 97%. Expect Half-Life 3 to be released on CD and audiocassete later this month, and Half-Life 4 to be out two weeks later"

^ suitably scathing, was gonna launch a whole tirade against the imbecile that wrote that but why bother.

Tiddalick said:
The RC is sent to Vivendi for verification (quality assurance), they won't suddenly start producing the game. It would take a few days at the absolute minimum for vivendi to pass it on for production.
They might be satisfied by valves own internal checking, but im sure they would have their own inhouse testing to some degree or another.

My guess is that VU have had at least one person on site at Valve for a while now so that they won't need to test it themselves.

release in november, just perfect for me. I get my new computer by that time then lol :p

Well, then I stand corrected.

No need to be rude about it, though.

Back