RC on Sept 15

hey im just being nice by calling you a smart guy. if you take offense, fine you're a dumb guy! are you happy?

What's it matter. RC is just potentially a gold status. So who cares; they should have had a dozen RC's by now. It'll be great when it's released but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. I feel like I'm going to miss Black Mesa already.

poseyjmac said:
hey im just being nice by calling you a smart guy. if you take offense, fine you're a dumb guy! are you happy?

LOL.

Well, I took your 'smart guy' remark as a sarcastic dig at me.

if this game was any other than half life 2, valve would have been looking for a new publisher a long time ago. from a business standpoint...gabe runs that company like shit. maybe he should hire someone with a degree in management.

freeorangeshoes said:
if this game was any other than half life 2, valve would have been looking for a new publisher a long time ago. from a business standpoint...gabe runs that company like shit. maybe he should hire someone with a degree in management.

I don't think you know much about what your talking about. Valve is about to innovate in every aspect of game design and distribution. Unlike the rest of the developers out there currently. Unless you knew this already. The beast of the games industry is the publisher. They are what is destroying the evolution of games. At least the blue suit and tie publishers. Of course this isn't the place to get into catch 22 development contracts, market manipulation, rehased projects, cloned games, sequel madness with little to no gameplay innovations.

Last but not least. vivendi can't say anything whatsoever. They are moot, let them walk away. We will just get the game faster if they did. They have paid 0 in the development of half-life 2. Not a penny, they have no say.

poseyjmac said:
those are not models smart guy. those are textures that will fit onto the models. vmt is the material files that defines how the surface reacts. the vtf is the actual converted tga file which is the texture you see.
Thank YOU :E

Sorry ;)

killahsin-[CE] said:
I don't think you know much about what your talking about. Valve is about to innovate in every aspect of game design and distribution. Unlike the rest of the developers out there currently. Unless you knew this already. The beast of the games industry is the publisher. They are what is destroying the evolution of games. At least the blue suit and tie publishers. Of course this isn't the place to get into catch 22 development contracts, market manipulation, rehased projects, cloned games, sequel madness with little to no gameplay innovations.

Last but not least. vivendi can't say anything whatsoever. They are moot, let them walk away. We will just get the game faster if they did. They have paid 0 in the development of half-life 2. Not a penny, they have no say.

read my post cool guy. i was speaking from a business stand point. yes, valve are very obviously incredibly talented and innovative game designers. they are neither when it comes to the marketing and actual sale of their game.

Xrenity said:
Actually they did.
But hey, who cares heh?

Also I find it a bit weird Gamespot has got to ask Vivendi and tell Doug what they say :s
yeah, it makes me wonder if doug actually DOES anything at valve.

freeorangeshoes said:

How can you say something like that? You, as well as I, have 0,0% clue on how business at Valve is being handled.
But I can guarantee you that if Valve was under the power of some sort of accountant or some office manager, HL2 would have been out a long time ago... rushed out for sales. This situation may not be ideal for the waiting fan or for Valve's reputation, but it will be for the game itself. And we can be only thankful that quality has a higher priority than a quick release. I've seen too many games fail because they were rushed out.

Do any of you think vivendi is to happy about steam?

I can't blame doug for saying that. And that isn't dougs job. Nor is answering an email from gamespot his job, heh.

I am starting to find out though that this community will flame valve no matter what they do. So theres no point in trying to explain how things work in the real world to people, heh.

killahsin-[CE] said:
I am starting to find out though that this community will flame valve no matter what they do. So theres no point in trying to explain how things work in the real world to people, heh.

not really. but also keep in mind there are plenty of game devs out there that do not get flamed by their communities as much as hl2's. but all of these communities' reactions are results of the companies moves, good or bad.

killahsin-[CE] said:

I flame valve becuase they are a complete joke.

I dont flame the following compainies due to actualy making good on their dates and regularly showing a bit of repect to their customers rather than announcing a new date every 2 months.

Dice
Creative assembly
Relic
ID
Codemasters
microsoft games studios

If valve would just either

A. give a REAL date
or
B. STFU until they have a REAL date

then i wouldnt flame them.

How many other fps games do you know that have 10 million avid continual fans? That have 60,000 people playign their game onlien at any moment of the day?

There is NO other first person shooter with a community the size of half life. This is why there are so MANY flames. It has NOTHING to do with 'delays' and the rest of the things you guys spout out. It only has to do with the fact you all KNOW the game is going to be amazing, and because you don't have it yesterday, you get upset. You put your hopes up yourselves constantly. Only to put yourselves on a emotional rollercoaster over a GAME. Yes we all know that the game will be great. And we also all know the only reason people flame valve, is because they also know this.

Valve/Cliffe has been recieving these flames on a massive scale every update there has ever been to TFC/CS since 1999. This is just how it is, when your the top dog.

freeorangeshoes said:

Well I have a degree in business financing and bud I can tell you right now you have no idea how well off of a company valve is from neither a managment stand point nor from a financial stanpoint....unless you work there or have access to there business portfolio.... quaterly eranings sheets....you also dont know them as people, all you know is what you read on these forums and hear from other people....Im tired of hearing people say how poorly valve is run when honestly none of us really know.....I have a feeling it is run very well tho maybe not the best in the PR department but otherwise very well.

Dougy said:
I flame valve becuase they are a complete joke.

Dice
Creative assembly
Relic
ID
Codemasters
microsoft games studios

then i wouldnt flame them.
Yet no game that has been released by these developers except for iD is anything on par to what VALVe is doing. Not one of those companies except for iD makes their own decisions. The reasons most games make it out on time, are for one reason, they are forced out by blue suit publishers. Just FYI, doom 3 was delayed a year.

killahsin-[CE] said:
How many other fps games do you know that have 10 million avid continual fans? That have 60,000 people playign their game onlien at any moment of the day?

There is NO other first person shooter with a community the size of half life. This is why there are so MANY flames. It has NOTHING to do with 'delays' and the rest of the things you guys spout out. It only has to do with the fact you all KNOW the game is going to be amazing, and because you don't have it yesterday, you get upset. You put your hopes up yourselves constantly. Only to put yourselves on a emotional rollercoaster over a GAME. Yes we all know that the game will be great. And we also all know the only reason people flame valve, is because they also know this.

Valve/Cliffe has been recieving these flames on a massive scale every update there has ever been to TFC/CS since 1999. This is just how it is, when your the top dog.

this is only partly right. because i go to other forums, where there are general gaming forums. these people make fun of valve constantly when a new topic about hl2 is started. same with DNF. but they don't with others.

What other FPS games do you knwo that were specifically design from the ground up for modding? While at the same time designing from the ground up a content distribution system, so that mod authors and the develoeprs themselves could actually make good money off their games? What other game is built off of at least 4 phd thesis's? What other game has 60k people playign 24/7? Not even the most successfull mmo's have those numbers. EVERY GAMER knows what half life is, or counter-strike. Even people who DON'T play games know this. Only the original dooms compare in terms of word of mouth.

You can all say whatever you want but the fact is by havign a 10 page thread all about relatively nothing except speculative flames, only proves the point I am trying to make. Yet in 5 years from now, and throught the next 5 years, you will all be playing hl2 and its mods expansions tf2 etc. Posting your most memorable moments, competing 'professionally', flaming eachother onf orums etc etc. As if none of this ever happend.

Yes everyone here flaming right now, will in a short while, no longer be flaming, but telling valve what a great design team they have and how great hl2 is. Why? Because there is a thin line between love and hate.

Has anyone e-mailed Valve for a confirmation of that announcement? I don't feel like getting screwed over again.

By the way, very nice post killahsin.

killahsin-[CE] said:
What other FPS games do you knwo that were specifically design from the ground up for modding? While at the same time designing from the ground up a content distribution system, so that mod authors and the develoeprs themselves could actually make good money off their games? What other game is built off of at least 4 phd thesis's? What other game has 60k people playign 24/7? Not even the most successfull mmo's have those numbers. EVERY GAMER knows what half life is, or counter-strike. Even people who DON'T play games know this. Only the original dooms compare in terms of word of mouth.

You can all say whatever you want but the fact is by havign a 10 page thread all about relatively nothing except speculative flames, only proves the point I am trying to make. Yet in 5 years from now, and throught the next 5 years, you will all be playing hl2 and its mods expansions tf2 etc. Posting your most memorable moments, competing 'professionally', flaming eachother onf orums etc etc. As if none of this ever happend.

Yes everyone here flaming right now, will in a short while, no longer be flaming, but telling valve what a great design team they have and how great hl2 is. Why? Because there is a thin line between love and hate.

why do you feel the need to justify valve? do you think by quoting all the good things, that its going to make people forget their bad moves in the past? valve makes quality-ass product, we know this, but that doesn't right all of their wrongs. thus people can bitch about it if they want to.

and btw many counterstrike players don't even know what halflife is.

im just slightly pissed im not gonna get at least one decent week to just sit down and play it before uni starts and i'll be waaaayyy to busy for months.

killahsin-[CE] said:

Well, if you count it, the MMO Lineage 1 had over 4 million subscribers in Korea.

kramer i am not talking about total. I'm talkign about palyign at any momment of any day. Your comparing 2 different numbers totally.

poseymac im not justifying valve. I want to playt he game just as bad as you. But when you build your lives aroudnd aily speculation to the point where all you do is flame eachother. It's doing you, nor the community, nor valve no good.

killahsin-[CE] said:
kramer i am not talking about total. I'm talkign about palyign at any momment of any day. Your comparing 2 different numbers totally.

poseymac im not justifying valve. I want to playt he game just as bad as you. But when you build your lives aroudnd aily speculation to the point where all you do is flame eachother. It's doing you, nor the community, nor valve no good.

that may be true, but no amount of explaining that is going to help the situation. so all it turns into is people complaining about complainers, which overall is just more unneeded complaining.

poseyjmac said:
that may be true, but no amount of explaining that is going to help the situation. so all it turns into is people complaining about complainers, which overall is just more unneeded complaining.

Bah, has it become that bad? Jeez, I suppose you are right. The complaints are everywhere it seems. Whether they be justified or ignorant, they are still many of them. Jeez, we members of the community better start thinking a little more before we post our random babbling crap......

Kinda like what I'm not doing right now....

has any1 confirmed this with valve, through an e-mail, gamespots rumor control has been BS before.

Actually Gamespot's rumors aren't bs often, i visit the site daily and they aren't wrong a lot. They wouldn't make up news. If they can't get info from a developer or publisher they just say no comment.

tvharti said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/01/news_6106283.html
-> HL2 being released in Nov.

Posted on Gamespots Rumor Control:

Before asking Vivendi for confirmation, we went to marketing rep Doug Lombardi at Valve. "We're currently planning to send release candidates to Vivendi by September 15th," he told us. The timing's right. "However," he adds before we can get our hopes up, "VUG hasn't given us a ship date yet. Might be best for you to ask them directly. Let me know what you hear."

I don't believe a word Valve (and especially Doug) says anymore.

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
How do you tell when a valve employee is telling you BS?

!

Their lips are moving.

Back