Red Orchestra + Darkest Hour = $5

Warped

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIu-qNYeFIc
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v17698202RPjXgf8

About the Game

Based on the award-winning Steam favorite, Red Orchestra, Darkest Hour brings the classic RO multiplayer experience to the beaches of Normandy, Operation Market-Garden, the Battle of the Bulge and on into the Reich. Now you can play as American, British or Canadian troops, with a huge range of additional features:

* More than 20 new infantry weapons, such as the ever-distinctive Garand, M1 Carbine, .30-cal, Bren, FG42, Thomson and the Enfield rifles
* American Bazooka, British PIAT and German Panzerschreck to go tank-hunting with
* New infantry features, including Airborne drops onto the battlefield, bullet suppression and supersonic cracks, plus a new radioman class for calling in artillery strikes
* Dozens of new uniforms for all nations
* Over a dozen new crewable vehicles including the King Tiger and JagdPanther for the Germans, countered with multiple types of Sherman in 75mm, 76mm and 17-pounder versions, plus the Cromwell, M10 Wolverine and Achilles
* New armor features, including engine damage and fires, crew hits and tracks visibly breaking when hit
* More transportation — Kubelwagen, Jeep and Opel truck

11 new maps, including:

* Juno Beach — Canadians storming the beaches in classic D-Day action
* Carentan — the US 101st Airborne assaults the town shortly after D-Day
* Brecourt — 101st Airborne attempt to put a key German artillery battery out of commission behind the beaches
* Vieux — vast sweeping armored combat as the British attempt to break out during Operation Goodwood in Normandy
* Ginkel Heath — British paras drop into a hotly-contested LZ at the start of Operation Market-Garden
* Wacht-am-Rhein — sweeping tank combat during the Battle of the Bulge, including the fearsome King Tiger
* Stoumont — American infantry and armor try and hold back the SS PanzerGrenadiers in the streets of the Ardennes town
* Bois Jacques — tenacious American defense against the combined German tank and infantry forces
* Foy — the Germans' turn to defend against attacking American airborne troopers

So whether it is the Normandy campaign, jumping onto the dropzones around Arnhem or the bitter fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, new and old players alike will get a chance to see why RO remains a classic. Now with the opportunity to re-play those battles RO-style, courtesy of Darkest Hour: Europe 1944-45!
System Requirements

Minimum: CPU: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent, 512 MB RAM, Video Card: 64 MB DX9 Compliant, 2 GB free hard drive space, DX 8.1 Compatible Audio, Windows 2000/XP

Recommended: CPU: 2.4 GHZ, Video Card: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support, Sound Card: Eax Compatible
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1280/

still thinking about getting this game, for $5 its not much of a loss

Holy shit, Darkest Hour released. Awesome, installing.

edit: America's Army 3 (recruiting toololol) available for pre-load as well, nabbing that too

Holy shit, Darkest Hour released. Awesome, installing.

edit: America's Army 3 (recruiting toololol) available for pre-load as well, nabbing that too

even if its a recruiting tool, do you feel like a tool playing it or is it fun??

America's Army 2.x was fun as hell, and I fully plan to play this installment. Sure, it's a recruiting tool and I sort of disagree with our tax dollars going towards it--but It's a quality multiplayer FPS, and that's something I can't deny myself.

Had a good run around on Brecourt, until I got autobanned for teamkilling due to people thinking the guns we're supposed to blow up make great cover. Not a great selection of servers yet

Heard the game wasn't that great but for $5 and the two extra MODS you can't really go wrong. I picked it up. Is there an active online community?

Heard the game wasn't that great but for $5 and the two extra MODS you can't really go wrong. I picked it up. Is there an active online community?

Don't believe the naysayers, this is one of the best online FPS's out there, and easily the best WWII shooter.

The online community is very active, though, there is no community for Mare Nostrum, so don't bother installing that one.

The community is by no means large, but for example one clan runs several 50 player servers and at least one of them is always full, which is where I play.

I wouldn't call RO the best WW2 shooter, it is the most comprehensive and realistic one though. It makes me think of playing Company of heroes in first person. (DH anyway, since CoH sadly has no USSR).

Played around again last night. Summary: Holy shit the BAR kicks ass. The new spawning system is controversial, but I like it. You spawn in the same bunker, and teleports open up as you take territory that put you close to the action, divided between Able and Baker sides of the map. Take the pillboxes on Juno and instead of spawning in the landing craft you spawn at the edge of the beach. Unfortunately some maps are bugged where occasionally certain portals will spawn you below the map and kill you, but I'm sure that'll be fixed soon.

Back