Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

I really want to like this game but its just not hitting the spot. It just don't seem to give a sense of struggle or worth of life. These videos just show dudes running around spraying and getting killed rather then the crawling around wanting to survive that would create more tension.

Perhaps there should be a bigger punishment for getting killed like having to sit out for a wile or something :S

Yeah I'd like to see some gameplay mods for this, make it more slower paced and tactical, rather than a shoot and dodge fest.

Its Stalingrad bro, of course there is going to be a lot of close quarters fighting. But there's also only been a few maps shown so far, and probably the most video friendly ones, in that they're action packed. Plus the game types they're showing now are kind of rush type stuff. the videos are also only showing games with low player counts. it will probably be just like the original, with guys who charge getting killed really fast, and teamwork players living longer. There's always been a mix of slow, long range fighting, mixed with fast violent close quarters action. My guess is that initially there will be a lot of newbies that treat the game like normal fps games, and they'll get killed a lot. HL2.net will dominate right off the bat because of this.

Yeah I'd like to see some gameplay mods for this, make it more slower paced and tactical, rather than a shoot and dodge fest.

Don't worry, those kind of mods will pop up in no time. Most RO veterans seem to prefer their game as realistic as possible from what I have gathered on the official forum. Plus Tripwire is very supportive of mod makers.

Groovy.

Thinkin' I'll pre-order the Deluxe today. Digging that they kept the raw and gritty feel to the infantry combat (and the freeaim, plus this new awesome natural looking 'cover' system). Sa'll groovy. Some coding talent over there.

Gotta love the text chat drama in the latest gameplay video, haha.

"Pile... are you made at me?"

Perhaps there should be a bigger punishment for getting killed like having to sit out for a wile or something :S

Thats already in the game, and even shown in the videos. The problem is, the videos showed terrible players. If you watch between the lines (lol) in the two part interview video Shaker posted, you'll see that the guys who ended up living the whole game were playing it safe and keeping their head down.

It does look like its a little too forgiving of the run and gun play style though, and I think stamina should play a bigger role to offset it. But hey, mods will be all over this sort of stuff, so I'm not worried at all.

Tactical != no CQB. And if there's a jump button, people are going to use it. Survival instinct.
There were absolutely not tactics being employed in that video, regardless of any CQB or not.

Maybe it was people adjusting, but from a game like RO, I'd expect a little bit more thinking involved. Hopefully it was just a case of the player not knowing the map and the game type being not conducive to thinking, as Krynn said.

Will the beta be open at some point?

Beta is next week.

EDIT: Oh you mean for anybody? I doubt it. They'll probably have a free weekend soon after release though.

I thought the game was supposed to be tactical and battles were to take place over large areas? From that video, I saw a lot of CQB, run-and-gun Rambo gameplay, and an instance of bunnyhopping to avoid bullets... what gives?

The problem is, the videos showed terrible players.

Basically this.

Did you guys not see them spraying entire clips into nothing while engaging at less than 2 metres? :|

Won't stop me.

Also, you do realize that's essentially how it works in retail RO at the moment as well?

I don't because I haven't played it. :)

Another video by that guy someone else posted. Tank combat, some MG, mostly SMG - damn, they look really effective.

Apparently the NDA dropped so there's tons of footage around.

Awesome, this hurricane is probably going to knock out our power right in time for beta access.

EDIT: Yeah, someone definitely needs to mod in some vastly worsened accuracy after sprinting as long as this guy in the video does.

I'm thinking we should try and get on Tactical Gamer's servers when the game's out. They seem to have a pretty similar desire for how the game should be played.
http://www.tacticalgamer.com/red-or...ver-rules-red-orchestra-2-tactical-gamer.html
Note: As this game is not yet released, these rules will be revised heavily once more details are known. Stay tuned for updates.

Welcome to TG! The only place you will want to play for teamwork and cooperative gaming!

This thread is designed to help all new players get over the hurdles of joining a new community and expedite their fitting with our style of play. Below are the server rules, followed by answers to common questions asked in our forums. This is the first place you should check before posting a new question!

Server Rules
These rules were created to achieve the goals laid out by TacticalGamer's Primer. We strive to have server environment where there is mutual respect between fellow gamers; where the focus of play is not solely on doing what it takes to win - but rather winning through the use of superior real-world combat strategy and tactics.

At Tactical Gamer, we also strive to create an immersive game environment. In Red Orchestra 2, this simply means playing as if you are a real soldier in appropriately historical military engaged in a conventional war. Some rules are in place prohibit actions that would be out of place in this setting, such as bunnyhopping. Other rules exist to encourage sportsmanship and fair-play - while certain tactics may be effective in a win-at-all-costs environment, those same tactics can ruin the enjoyment for the majority of players on the server.

1) No Bunnyhopping
Bunnyhopping is a term we use to describe ANY jumping that you wouldn't see in real-world combat. Examples of actions that are FORBIDDEN: jumping to avoid incoming fire, jumping to make yourself a more difficult to hit target, or jumping to avoid damage from your own weapon (firing grenade launcher down at the ground, e.g.)

2) No Spawn Camping
Spawn camping is a premeditated act that takes advantage of a newly spawned player's lack of situational awareness. (This is not to be confused with spawn killing. In Red Orchestra 2, you chose where you deploy. If you chose to deploy to a contested area, you should not be surprised if you are killed the moment you spawn.)

3) No Suicide Tactics
Red Orchestra 2 depicts a conventional war between armies armed with weapons appropriate to the time period. Soldier lives are precious, and any action that does not place a high value on one's life is forbidden. This includes tactics such as explosives laden vehicles, intentionally ramming vehicles, and the like.

4) All players must actively participate in a squad
TacticalGamer servers are exclusively for players interested in tight, squad-based, vocal teamwork. Joining a squad, while required, is not enough; all players must actively contribute to the squad's objective. A full squad with players spread out all over the map, doing unrelated things is not 'teamwork'.

If you look at other threads you'll see they're somewhat concerned about the SMG style fighting shown in these videos, so they're actually a lot like us here.

EDIT: Also, heres a new video I hadn't seen before

Don't they require like being a part of the clan and showing up for certain games and shit? Or maybe that's just Arma.

I thought so at first too, but a lot of the things they post seem to suggest otherwise. For instance they have a thread on what to do if you were kicked/banned from the server, which seems odd if you're supposed to be a tight knit group like that. Plus you can donate money and get reserved slots on the servers, which surely must mean they have public servers?

I have played ARMA2 with TacticalGamer before, all they ever asked was that you sign up to the forum, and make sure you join them on their TS. It was a lot of fun.

The TS contained the passwords for the game servers, so as long as you make yourself known, you should be pretty welcome.

I hate servers which enforce realism rules on principle, but I guess it's less stupid in a game which promotes it in the first place. I'd still rather be able to play however the **** I want.

Maybe we can just get a server and host it with mods that make it more realistic. Dont really feel like joining another community, and I'd rather hl2.net not have to morph into Tacitcalhl2gamer.net. Also badhat wants to bunnyhop, so we gotta give baby what he wants.

What do you even want to be modded for realism, out of curiosity?

Mainly vastly decreased accuracy after sprinting and being suppressed. Not so much for realism's sake, but rather to prevent typical run and gun FPS gameplay.

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

RO2 Beta - It's Midnight
Yep, it's midnight and we're at the office slaving away on the final touches of the beta release. Is the anticipation killing you yet In less than 24 hours you may just have your hands on RO2!!!!

That's John Gibson, president of Tripwire Interactive BTW.

Mainly vastly decreased accuracy after sprinting and being suppressed. Not so much for realism's sake, but rather to prevent typical run and gun FPS gameplay.

Eh, I could get behind a short period of shakiness after sprinting (like in Ace, but not as pronounced), but I think I'd rather trust the developers on how much my accuracy should be effected by suppression, given they're the ones who put it in and balanced for it. In any case maybe we should wait until people actually get hands-on with it to decide what needs to be fixed - which, by all accounts, seems like it's going to be tomorrow.

If you ordered the DDE, that is. :(

I have the DDE :D I'll be sure to record pretty much everything for you guys that don't.

So, I thought it was shipping today. It hasn't been released in Steam. What gives?

9:12 PM - [TW]Yoshiro: As of now we are still aiming for today
9:12 PM - [TW]Yoshiro: but once again
9:12 PM - [TW]Yoshiro: today does not translate to any time period outside our own
9:14 PM - [ò_ó] Mr. Zips: There's still about 3 hours left in Tripwire's World(TM), for those that don't realize this.
9:14 PM - [TW]Yoshiro: Zips is correct
just said that and a bunch of stuff about qa testers and zips smelling

From a couple minutes ago I guess. They planning on having the beta out within 3 hours I guess.

They need to stop announcing the release of the beta if they can't deliver.

SOMEBODY BUY ME THIS GAME

Don't, though. I can't repay you.

Its very crashy. A known and widespread problem apparently. When you load the server list it generally just crashes. I also had an issue with the server list recognizing no servers, but that too was a known issue with a work around. Now I just need to find a way to join a server.

EDIT: Joined a server just by double clicking randomly in the server browser before it crashed. The second it loaded.... crashed.

Its very crashy.

I just woke up. Turned on my PC and saw you start up the beta in Steam, so I was like: "Yay, it's out!" Then I saw you start up the game again. And again. And yet again. Then I was like: "Shit is gonna be janky."

Yeah, I can't even play it really. The good thing is, all these problems are widespread, so it will probably be patched within hours. I think I'll just go to sleep and try it again when I wake up. Some people do seem to be getting through though, since there are populated servers and people streaming it, so good luck to you guys.

A couple of fixes for some known problems can be found on Tripwire's support sub-forum.

Right, off to work. This will be a looooong day. I probably won't be able to fire it up until ten o'clock tonight. :(

Joining someone in game via steam friends list seems to work. Assuming of course you can find someone who can get into a server. I recorded a ton of footage already, ill upload the best of it tomorrow.

Played for more, got some tank footage. The tank map in the beta is pretty lame though. Really barren. Until I upload the footage, I'll just leave you with this.

MmLDM.jpg

EDIT: I also just realized my resolution was off. That explains why it seemed a touch blurry all the time.

Yeah, thanks for all the rounds Krynn!

Was great fun getting killed shot in the face by you and shooting you in the back.

Back