Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Same. The mix between realism and fun gameplay is just right. Sometimes I get a bit annoyed by being sniped constantly but then I realize it is simply my own fault for not staying in cover enough. Plus no sniper is safe from a well executed flanking maneuver.

Which class are you guys playing the most? I am going Squad Leader when possible because of the awesome Walther G41 (I usually play Axis) and the smoke nades. Being SL also stimulates me to not take any big chances which in turn keeps me alive a lot longer.
I play either the poor 'ole rifleman, Machine gunner, or tank commander.

Nobody communicating is sure to do wonders for teamwork! Does the commo rose get used a lot?

People do use voice chat sometimes, but its not used for teamwork. And usually its people who are speaking another language, or with really thick accents that I can't understand anyways. The commarose doesn't seem to be used much, I havent actually used it either, though I do use the spotting key, which I don't think has ever helped.

People do use voice chat sometimes, but its not used for teamwork. And usually its people who are speaking another language, or with really thick accents that I can't understand anyways. The commarose doesn't seem to be used much, I havent actually used it either, though I do use the spotting key, which I don't think has ever helped.

In only managed to spot an enemy once. Not worth the effort imo because I could have just shot him. I do use the commorose a lot though, for calling in stuff and to taunt of course. "I can smell you from here, Rus!"

I only had one commander actually use voice chat who was actually understandable, and it was at the very first part of CD: FF on Axis.

"HEY THIS IS YOUR COMMANDER,
YOU AREN'T GETTING ANY REINFORCEMENTS.
WE ARE GERMANS!
YE-UH!"

then we beat the shit out of the russians.
that was a great game.

Looks like the new maps are out. Can't wait to check them out.

Barracks crashes me even faster than fallen fighters does and I think they broke the server list.

Haha woops. It happens though, you're preparing a standardized product to deliver on a standardized medium to many thousands of PCs of varying configurations with more variables than even possible to predict entirely.
I can't think of any game released that didn't have its forums flooded with cries for help, much less a beta.

I thought it was fascinating that Half-Life 2 leaked, and everyone suddenly had access to what was supposed to be one of the greatest games ever made.
It was so incomplete, like a bug minefield, and yet revealed it's brilliance in spots.
I get the same feeling playing RO2, it's really addictive and totally unlike any other war game.

Recorded some footage on all three new maps. The Grain elevator is ****ing awesome. In fact, all three of these new maps are pretty fantastic. Much better than the first set. Will post a short 10 minute round of the grain elevator in a few.

I like the maps if I could play for more than five minutes.

Have you tried connecting using IP? Thats the only way I could join a server, let alone not crash. It'll be fixed tomorrow I'm sure. Uploading the Grain Elevator now, and rendering a short video of the Barracks. Then I'll do the Red October Factory.

ro2.exe has stopped working the ****ing game god damnit i want to love this so much but i can't love a game i can't even play

if this keeps happening post-release I'll be actually mad

For anyone that is having trouble with the server browser, you can use an external server list such as this one: http://www.gametracker.com/search/ro2/

Then open the console ingame with the ' (apostrophe) key, and use: open <ip> (sorry if that has already been posted)

Having a lot of fun with the new maps, Grain Elevator is my favorite so far.

ro2.exe has stopped working the ****ing game god damnit i want to love this so much but i can't love a game i can't even play

if this keeps happening post-release I'll be actually mad

Just connect via IP like I said, and like Lobster just said. I'm 97% positive they'll have fixed this by tonight/tomorrow, let alone release.

Just connect via IP like I said, and like Lobster just said. I'm 97% positive they'll have fixed this by tonight/tomorrow, let alone release.

My problem isn't connecting to servers, I do that fine.
It's staying IN the server long enough to actually play the game.

The reason I was crashing initially when the beta first came out was because I joined through the server browser. It was suggested on the official forums that joining via IP stopped the crashing.

I suppose I'll try that a few times today, then.

I am loving this game more every time I play it. The new maps are really good, better than the original three even. Barracks is without a doubt my favorite of the bunch.

Okay yeah, it's definitely just Barracks that crashes me no matter what I do. And every server runs it.

Eh well the game runs on a popular engine. This kind of stuff is already in place.

It's infuriating.

Especially the fact that they make money from it.

Tripwire Interactive President said:
So I'll start this post with my usual - calm down, step back, take a deep breath. See, don't you feel better already?

So I've seen a lot of buzz and panic about cheats starting to appear in the beta. First I would say this - don't panic. This is to be expected, and has been planned for. We've prepared for this and knew it would happen all along.

Anti-Cheat - This is exactly why we've got the dual anti-cheats of VAC and PB. VAC as you all know uses a delayed banning system, while PB detects and kicks on the spot. Between these two RO2 will be one of the best well protected games at launch. Right now Punkbuster hasn't been enabled yet, and will be coming online during the course of the beta.

So what about the cheats that "fall through the cracks" so to speak. This is where two very powerful additional tools come into play:
PBBans and Server Admins!

PBBans - PBBans has a system which allows streaming of a master ban list. As cheats are caught through PunkBuster violations, screenshots or demos, they are added to the Master Ban Index (MBi). So admins catching someone cheating on their servers can submit screenshots or video to PBBans and get the cheater banned. In this way, even cheaters using cheats that "fall through the cracks" will find themselves banned.

Server Admins - an active server admin is a powerful tool against cheating. "But other games have active server admins, and they got overrun with cheaters" you might say. The difference is, Tripwire are giving the server admins the tools they need to combat the cheaters such as Punkbuster and PBBans. So unlike many other recently released games, RO2's server admins hands will not be tied when it comes to cheaters, and they have some weapons at their disposal to combat them.

An active dev team - another very important tool in combating cheats is an active dev team. Many recent games have come out and been overrun by cheats while the dev team did little or nothing. As we have done in the past, Tripwire will be leaning forward on this and extremely active in combating cheats. An example of this is some cheating that we started noticing yesterday which is known as "speed-hacking". Later today, just 24 hours later, we should be releasing an update that combats this type of hacking.

You - the final important component of this is YOU, the player and fan. If you have any information on any new or existing hacks for the game, private message the information Yoshiro or one of the moderators on this forum. DO NOT post the information in the open. You all can help be our eyes and ears to combat this issue.

So in conclusion I ask you all to be calm and work with us to help combat hacking. Hacking and hackers are an ever moving target, and very difficult to eliminate completely. But together with you the fans and all of the weapons at our disposal we will marginalize and reduce hacking in RO2 to the point where it is barely a factor. Likewise we will do everything in our power to frustrate the efforts of hack makers and hackers to the point where they find it is not worth the effort.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=59377&highlight=hacking

Huge thanks BadHat, been waiting for someone to figure out a way to do that!

Bandage now bound to B!

Four more maps have been added to the beta plus a big number of fixes:

-Client Performance Optimizations
-Client and Server crash fixes
-Improvements to hit detection
-Punkbuster Anti-Cheat can now be used by servers and is on by default
-Added enable PunkBuster setting and PunkBuster disabled warning in Server Browser
-Removed the ability to swap teams from the class select menu. Instead, there is now a button to open the team select menu. This will reduce some confusing 'Role is taken' messages.
-Adjustments to weapon unlocks for each class. Veteran marksman now unlock semi auto sniper rifles, veteran anti-tank now unlock satchels, and more.
-RO1 players will now get automatic bayonet upgrades for the Kar98 and Mosin rifle without needing to level these weapons first.
-Mid-game map voting will now immediately change maps if enough players vote.
-Fixed some reloading issues for weapons with stripper clips (G41, Kar98, etc)
-Fixed problems with enemy spotted from inside a tank
-Fixed occasionally seeing your dead self with no head or arms
-Fixed an exploit with cover allowing super speedy firing for rifles
-Fixed getting stuck inside geometry in some places when mantling
-Fixed glitchy camera view when rotating into a wall while prone
-Fixed an issue with map boundaries during Firefight sudden death
-Several spawning bugs squashed
-Fixed some issues with player progression
-Added sorting by column to the Server Browser
-Fixed server crashing due to Steamworks not being properly cleaned up
-Fixed server crashing when using PunkBuster UCON system
-Fixed Ranked vs. Unranked issues. It really works this time. Really Really
-Fixed some Spawning and Role Selection issues
-Fixed VOIP notifications not appearing and often crossing Public/Team channels
Video Settings menu refinement
-Added ability to cancel changes
-Exposed Ultra texture quality settings to only machines that have enough memory
-New Occlusion Culling Graphical Setting - higher setting will have less object "pop-in" but be slow (original default in previous beta), normal setting will run better but have a bit more object "pop-in" (New default). Will provide significantly better frame rates on normal setting.
-The maximum video setting a system will be assigned on startup is high.
-Added MaxAnisotropy of 16 to Ultra texture settings
-Added 'stat perfdump' console command to get better information about poor performance people are seeing.
-Memory Optimization for 32 bit machines.
-Fixed exploit of glowing characters on low shadow settings
-Ping now shows in the scoreboard
-Fixed binoculars not working properly when a non-standard ironsights FOV was set on rifles
-Modified network relevancy checking to reduce characters popping in
-Added the ability to enable and disable VAC for servers on the commandline (overrides what is in the ini files). To enable VAC add the switch -VACSECURED to your commandline. To disable VAC add -NOVAC to your commandline.
-Added the ability to override the automatically calculated Steam query port. Use SteamPort=<OverridePortNumbe> on your commandline. Note: Has not been heavily tested, use at your own risk
-Fixed an issue with AI swapping positions while a player was dead and waiting to take over positions in a tank. This made it appear that some positions were "coming back to life"
-Fixed some vehicle AI bugs
-Fixed not being able to kill the hull MGer or tank gunner in the Panzer IV if they were a human player
-Created an intelligent system to grab bullet from partial clips before moving on to whole clips. This prevents you from ending up with all of your clips having just a few rounds missing.
-Fixed getting bullet whizzed by guys that are not even facing you (I.e. shooting away from you). Also fixed double replication of some hit impacts/bullet whizzes.
-Refined speedhack detection to have less false positives

Tried playing a game and then crashed before taking a step.

Yep.

is there a way to get in to the beta without pre-ordering the game?
I'm not sure if I wanna spend $33 if it's as clunky is the first one.

awwww.....I''l just wait for the reviews.or *gasp* a DEMO lol.

They said they'll have a Steam "Free weekend" soon after release as a demo.

And I knew this was coming, since I read about it before, but this feature in general is one of the small little touches that make me love this game. Having your character actually place single bullets into the rifle rather than magically stuff in a whole new clip is awesome.
-Created an intelligent system to grab bullet from partial clips before moving on to whole clips. This prevents you from ending up with all of your clips having just a few rounds missing.

If you want a good 10-15 FPS boost type "umbra culling" into console. Doesn't seem to effect anything visually.

If you want a good 10-15 FPS boost type "umbra culling" into console. Doesn't seem to effect anything visually.

Sounds like the same thing the patch does.
-New Occlusion Culling Graphical Setting - higher setting will have less object "pop-in" but be slow (original default in previous beta), normal setting will run better but have a bit more object "pop-in" (New default). Will provide significantly better frame rates on normal setting.

Umbra is the content streaming middleware they're using I'm assuming, and you're just turning it on like this patch does. Here's a demo of what its actually doing, if you're interested. Like the patch note said, you'll notice some pop-in, but its a hell of a lot more efficient.

That's what real life is like. I'm positive.

I managed to prevent a lot of the crashing by setting everything to Medium, it made things a little fugly but I crashed a heck of a lot less.

Hopefully this patch will help though!

Grain Elevator video.

This game actually looks pretty nice! When I watched the first gameplay video you posted a few days ago I was not impressed at all and thought the game looked like RO1 - I don't know whether it was the map or you played on lower settings. But this looks nice.

Did they touch the animations since RO1 at all though? They look as mediocre as they did then :|

Also, it appears you can sprint diagonally? It looks silly when you're flailing your arms as if you were running forward, but actually running slightly sideways.

I'm sure I've seen people sprint totally sideways, and possibly even backwards briefly.

Back