Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Server browser is not working or something. :v

Server browser is not working or something. :v

Works fine for me. Servers seem a tad laggy though. I'll properly try this out tomorrow.

Oh and I played a little of the campaign. It's basically bot mode with a very tiny bit of story.

Yeah, it just happened again. I killed a team member or enemy (i'm not sure, I could only see their legs). Then I was kicked from the server with a message that just says "ok". Then the browser doesn't work until I restart the game. ;-;

Managed to join a game and play for a while, still good. Tried playing single player. Rogame.exe has stopped working.

Completed a mission on single player, liked what I played, except not being able to pick your class and being switched around randomly when you die. Seems like a huge oversight. Tried joining multiplayer but it crashes before I get into the game, heh!

A little bit fragmented.

unled1ppd.jpg
That seems to happen every time I preload a game on Steam, it was the same with DX:HR.

Bad^Hat said:
even though I pretty much suck

Meanwhile on top of the leaderboard.

I mean you, not me.

I ripped the shit out of apartments because I don't sit back and plink at the enemy from a window or something. I charge in with my PPsH and take mother****ers by surprise.

Meanwhile, on maps that take any measure of patience or organisation...

Wow... my framerate is horrible, the skybox doesn't appear sometimes, and it crashes. Verified files, didn't fix anything. Waiting for bugfixes.

Another match on Grain Elevator, another match where the axis refuse to take a single point. Oh well, says I, at least I can sneak into the elevator and get a few sneaky kills.

Edit: By the way, what does (FT1) mean?

Vqx6b.jpg

Fire Team 1 I think? When I was commander I saw FT1, FT2 and FT3 by people's names, and assumed that it was just their squad designations.

Are the stats/honor/progression saving for anyone? I played a ton today and reached honor 8-9. Started the game up again and I only have a 13 kills, 6 deaths and back to 3 honor. Don't seem to have any of the pre-order bonuses available either.

Not to mention achievements are bugged, as well as the server browser. It actually crashes my router after it loads about 5-10 servers. It worked better in the beta to be honest. The reviews are probably gonna suck because it's so buggy at the moment.

Are the stats/honor/progression saving for anyone? I played a ton today and reached honor 8-9. Started the game up again and I only have a 13 kills, 6 deaths and back to 3 honor. Don't seem to have any of the pre-order bonuses available either.

Not to mention achievements are bugged, as well as the server browser. It actually crashes my router after it loads about 5-10 servers. It worked better in the beta to be honest. The reviews are probably gonna suck because it's so buggy at the moment.

Stats, unlocks and achievements are all still borked. TWI is aware of this and working on it.

Yeah, just endured a string of crashes only to play a few terrible matches and have my stats not save. Think I've had my fill of it for today. :|

I am starting to regret advertising this game here. The retail release is worse than the beta. A broken server browser, horrible server lag, inconsistent performance, various gameplay issues and no day 1 unlocks for Deluxe Edition owners. First BRINK then Dead Island, now this? What a disappointing year this is turning out to be. :(

I got all my unlockes :/ I had two crashes though, poor me. I don't really give a shit about day 1 bugs though, pretty much all my favorite games have had terrible releases. The game needs to get patched up, but the gameplay is excellent, and the game will ultimately be a great one. Tripwire has never done anything to make me doubt that the game will be fixed in a timely manner. My guess is that in two weeks we'll have a game with no major bugs left. Maybe they should have delayed it, but I don't care. I can still play the game, and I know its going to be fixed. I'd still recommend and advertise the game happily. Please don't be dumb and assume that the game will stay like this forever, like those other two games you mentioned did.

I'd still recommend and advertise the game happily.

Same here. Sure, it has its share of bugs, but the core gameplay is excellent. Tripwire's track record fixing bugs is very good so I am quite sure that the game will be fixed soon.

Game plays beautifully for me. Most of the time.

The biggest bugs I have noticed are bugged achievements and a class level system that doesn't seem to work on my end.

Stats are broken as hell for me. Got halfway through level 6 somehow and now I'm stuck, nothing saves ever.

Protip for performance: disable frame smoothing, it helped me a lot. Also just heard something about tabbing out and setting priority to real time in the task manager, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Wall of text incoming.

Tripwire on the patch that will be released later today

Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
- spawn menu looping bug
- various crash fixes
- decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.

Tripwire on the performance issues

We're working diligently on performance, but improvements/fixes for performance are going to take a bit longer. The fact of the matter is, as a PC game we really pushed the boundaries on the game's content. I know a lot of people have said things like "well I can run game X at 100 FPS on the highest settings." Well that may be true, but game X is most likely a console port and designed to run on a much lower spec machine than RO2. Honestly gamers have gotten a little too used to console ports designed to run on 4-5 year old kit. Everyone talks about the golden age of PC games in the 90's. Well back in that golden age it was very common for a new game to come out that pushed the hardware curve, and people would just update to keep ahead.

Others have said "but I think game X looks much better than RO2, I don't understand why RO2 runs worse." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and whether someone thinks game X looks better than RO2 is usually down to whether people like our visual style. We don't go over the top with most effects, while other game studios make EVERYTHING from dirt to concrete shine like it's covered in vasoline or go crazy with their post processing. But at the end of the day, when you boil it down to cold hard data, RO2 is pushing more polygons, models, and shaders than most (if not all) other shooters currently on the market. To put it another way, there may be other games that are pushing more details on smaller levels, but we're pushing lots of detail in much larger levels than other games are doing.

With that said, there are improvements that can still be made, and there are things we could have done better before launch. In all of our testing internally the the game was running great on a wide range of hardware (for example, I have a five year old AMD FX-60 dual core with an 8800 sitting next to me that runs the game at a solid 50 frames per second). But as we have learned during the beta and launch there are certain types of PC configurations (even very powerful ones) that are struggling to run the game at a good framerate. So here is what we are working on to address these issues:

Level art optimization: for our levels we tuned our visual detail based on the test hardware we had in our offices. And for these machines the game ran great. But it turns out there are certain CPU's/video cards that frankly just choke on the number of objects we're throwing at them to render (even high end ones). It isn't that this hardware is bad, it just has different strengths/weaknesses than the hardware we developed the game for. So over the coming weeks we're going to be optimizing the levels to have less visible objects in view at one time, which should greatly increase the performance on these levels. Since this is a pretty extensive operation, it will take some time, and what you will likely see is us roll through 1 map at a time releasing an optimized version of each map.

General optimizations: we'll also continue to work on general optimizations to the engine/codebase itself. Some improvements will happen right away, others will be ongoing. This will be ongoing until we get to the point where we feel the majority of users are reasonably happy with the performance they are getting.

So how can you help? By getting us perflog dumps which will help us get the information we need to improve the performance. Please check out this link here for information on how to do this:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=61789

The more information we have, the easier it will be to track down these issues. So thank you for your patience while we get these issues sorted. And rest assured we're hard at work to make that happen.

The SDK should be out in a couple days according to a Dev. I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some maps that are similar to the ARMA2 missions we play. I wonder if its possible to mod in a revive system, so when we die we don't have to run for a long ass time to get back, since there won't be any transport vehicles for awhile yet.

Found another fix that reduces the game's memory usage a bit by cutting down texture size. Haven't noticed the difference visually, but I'm crashing less frequently when loading a level, so that's something.

1. download notepad++
2. edit ROCompat (in my docs)
3. hit ctrl+F
4. go to Replace tab
5. type in 'Find what:' 4096, type in 'Replace with:' 2048
6. hit Replace all

You probably could just set your object detail or whatever option to a lower setting, it does the same thing.

These guys don't get any breaks. The latest 18Mb patch broke the game, in the sense that it doesn't launch anymore. Watch the drama unfold here.

EDIT And it's fixed again.

The Sturmgewehr day one unlock is seriously overpowered by the way. Played with it for half an hour today and I was the king of the server. Especially in close quarters it's death incarnated.

Many of the maps were already tipped in the german's favour, now they give them death cannons while the russians get a select fire SVT with an essentially useless auto mode. Oh, but it's okay, because they're going to limit them to only the assault class, like 6 a side isn't already too much. Christ, they really have to restrict this stuff more, the only time I ever see more than 1 or 2 bolt actions per side is on 64 player servers.

Thats why I want maps that are actually decent sized, like in the first one. Which is why I'm going to make them.

Oh by the way you're probably better off ignoring that texture fix I posted earlier, can't say for sure but I think it ****ed up my performance after a while. Just delete the .ini if you want to revert it, it recreates itself with default settings next time you start it up.

This is a real disappointment. I was really looking forward to this game, but the original RO runs and looks 10x better than this one. I like some of the features in the game, but it looks so bad and the framerate is so slow that it's often unplayable.

Really? I think it looks way better than RO1 and runs fine.

I don't get all the "game looks bad" comments I've been seeing all over the place. It looks good, not like BF3 but thats because Tripwire does have EA to feed them millions of dollars just for art assets, expensive middleware and some of the best graphics programmers in the world like DICE does. RO2 looks better than most games that have come out recently.

It also runs flawlessly when in-game for me, and it has since beta :p

Looks and runs fine for me also. It may be that some specific hardware combinations are poorly supported at the moment.

Looks good to me and I'm running on normal settings.

Another patch came out today, fixed the weapon unlocks and restricted the AVT/MKB to the assault class (which I still think is too many, they should put it on elite rifleman or create an elite assault class). Also improved performance for those on ultra settings, hooray!

Still no SDK :arms: Who cares about bugs damnit!

Stats still not fully fixed though, not for me anyway.

Try turning off Steam Cloud in both Steam itself and in-game. It's in the options menu inside RO2 itself, not in it's Steam properties like every other game. Once I did that it started saving my ranks finally, it just doesn't track my headshots and other incidental stats, and I think squad leader is still stuck at zero (seems like that's busted for everyone).

That or just don't bother. I'm really going too far to try and fix all this shit myself when I should just wait for them to patch it. It's so much fun when I can get it running without the bullshit, though. :(

Back