Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Jamming would suck in RO2. It's easy enough to die as it is without weapon jams.

I guess you're just not hardcore enough.

You casual.

Butthurt casual.

My personal reason for not liking the idea is because it would only annoy me. If it was a combat simulator the odd jam might be expected, but it's a competitive shooter. Yes, there is realism, but not hyper realism. In a one on one confrontation of two assault classes for example, I would expect to have an even chance at taking him out, but if my weapon jams, I'd just get frustrated and he'd just get an easy kill.

basically it would frustrate me as much as getting a lag spike as soon as I enter a confrontation, there's just no need for it.

So, am I alone in not having gotten the IN B4 RESET achievement despite having played since the beta and having gotten a ton of achievements and stats before the reset?

Looks like I did get the achievement, Garg.

My personal reason for not liking the idea is because it would only annoy me. If it was a combat simulator the odd jam might be expected, but it's a competitive shooter. Yes, there is realism, but not hyper realism. In a one on one confrontation of two assault classes for example, I would expect to have an even chance at taking him out, but if my weapon jams, I'd just get frustrated and he'd just get an easy kill.

basically it would frustrate me as much as getting a lag spike as soon as I enter a confrontation, there's just no need for it.

Well if you want a competitive shooter then you don't want a realism mod, so its a moot point.

Anyways, that was a fun game we had. I was wrecking stuff in mah tank. Especially on Pavlov's. I think I finally learned a few good spots to shoot for when trying to destroy other tanks, but its a lot more fun when I just played as infantry support. That 82nd Server is really good for teamwork, the guys in the clan seem really keen on working cooperatively. I'll have to figure out what my talk key is and get in on that action.

I also think the maps are simply not designed for 64 players. Its like a constant stalemate right from the get-go. When there was just like 20 of us playing on Fallen Fighters I liked it a lot more than usual. I'm hoping when the SDK is finally released for real people will make larger maps for 64 players. I mean, I'm going to do it myself, but I probably won't be as good at it as people who've done it for the first game.

@ Garg, I think you have to actually boot up the game before it registers, possibly even needing to get one achievement first as well. But I see on my "community feed" that you got it already, so horray!

Krynn72, I managed to solve the problem myself, I had to manually reset the stats via an .ini file twice in order to get the achievement.

The details for how to manually reset your stats is on the TWI forums.

Personally, I am playing on TOGA's server, it has tanks disabled until TWI add the option to disable AI gunners for tanks, or reduce their ability to sight enemies more.

Anyways, that was a fun game we had. I was wrecking stuff in mah tank. Especially on Pavlov's. I think I finally learned a few good spots to shoot for when trying to destroy other tanks, but its a lot more fun when I just played as infantry support. That 82nd Server is really good for teamwork, the guys in the clan seem really keen on working cooperatively. I'll have to figure out what my talk key is and get in on that action.!

Yeah, besides not being able to hit anything thanks to my terrible latency, those were a good few games. Talk key is caps by default. Wait till you see the hokey volume meter that pops up haha.

Your puny grenades have no effect on me! BadHat with his god damn panzerknackers and AT rifle on the other hand...

You were my first ever tank kill with both of those weapons. :3

Doesn't seem too broken for me, runs really smooth considering my hardware and stats seem ok.

Still a few annoying things here and there, some performance hitches on my end too, but it's getting a lot better yeah.

Still no ****ing SDK :angryface:

But yeah, s'all good. I still can't wait for that mod, a glorious day that will be.

I am digging this game but that mod sounds like fun cuz it's kinda easy when yer a sniper right now.

Wait really? The scope makes it pretty difficult to keep an eye on your surroundings and you can easily get counter-sniped by a half decent riflemen if you're spotted.

Wait really? The scope makes it pretty difficult to keep an eye on your surroundings and you can easily get counter-sniped by a half decent riflemen if you're spotted.

The scope takes awhile to get used to since its an actual 3D scope and not a 2D overlay or whatever, but when you're used to it I didn't have trouble with it. And if you're getting counter sniped its because you don't re-position!

Yeah all those SS clans sure would love some swastikas on their uniforms. For... realism purposes.

Yet! Anyway I'd rather be able to instantly recognise an enemy, team kills happen enough as is.

Trailer for a pacific mod that's been in development since months before the game was out. Which makes you wonder why the SDK hasn't been released.

The maps for that mod look nicely varied. Some open, long range stuff, medium and close quarters. RO2 is lacking in the first category.

Is there a game option that puts a black and white filter over the game? I can't find it. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the game allows you to.

There are a couple of filters in the options somewhere, but I only remember one of them being a "wartime" filter or something, which presumably makes it look like the old film footage. Soooo, probably black and white! Haven't tried them yet.

Edit: Just for you, here's some screens of the filters. The "war movie" filter just adds grain and desaturates it a bit, no black and white somehow. Also there's an "enhanced" mode which just kind of... makes it more colourful. Here they are in the order I just mentioned (after the normal/no filter mode).

TE8Ll.jpg

WjxAi.jpg

yfJUR.jpg
Tried playing on war movie for a bit, it's uhh... kind of a strain on the eyes. Switching back to normal was a relief.

Disappointing, the game is already desaturated enough, so the film grain doesn't sound like fun at all. :( Also am I the only one who had to turn off the bloom in this game? Some of the yellow/brown daylight maps were sooooo Far Cry 2 from the bloom

Have you played on the enhanced for any long period of time?

Disappointing, the game is already desaturated enough
Then why do you want black and white?

Those settings look pretty similar. None of them look desaturated really, more like one is slightly brown tinted. And that one with the film grain just looks extra saturated.

am I the only one who had to turn off the bloom in this game? Some of the yellow/brown daylight maps were sooooo Far Cry 2 from the bloom

Yep, totally unnecessary to be blinded by almost every flat surface. I also turned off light rays because big rays of yellow light coming out of a burning drum just looked stupid.

Then why do you want black and white?

Because some of the game maps are sometimes desaturated to the extent that it looks like sepia, which I don't like. If it was desaturated all the way to black&white it wouldn't bother me. For those yellow/brown maps I would definately turn on a Black&white filter if there was one.

I still have fun with this game every time I play it!

Played the other night, only server I could find in my ping range had like 2 guys and a bunch of bots but the combat is still great fun. I just wish they'd clean up all the other bullshit. Splitting the servers into ranked and unranked was such an unfathomably terrible idea, killed the community right quick. :|

Played the other night, only server I could find in my ping range had like 2 guys and a bunch of bots but the combat is still great fun. I just wish they'd clean up all the other bullshit. Splitting the servers into ranked and unranked was such an unfathomably terrible idea, killed the community right quick. :|

Man you weren't kidding, I just went online to try to find a game, only server I could find that had a decent player count (20+) was just two people and 26 bots.

What a shame.

I play this all the time, and I always find loads of populated servers. Even at stupid hours. I've put about 110 hours into this game now...
I've actually found it still fun playing a 5v5 with 8 or so bots on each side as well. I get to command the cannon fodder onto the right objectives and try and out play the enemy team.
The chaotic 64 player servers are awesome though.

Back