Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

For those of you interested in this game, we will be having a competition for 5 copies of RO2 tomorrow, thanks to Yoshiro from Tripwire.

Another patch.

An update for Red Orchestra 2 will be released shortly.

Bug Fixes
-Fixed a bug where players could spawn without a class
-Fixed a bug with auto reloading when using a manual bolt rifle
-Minor performance improvements

Level/Gameplay Fixes
Pavlov's House
-Added wall to block line of sight to one of the Allied tank spawns
-Allies now correctly get a forward spawn when capturing Zab's House
-German spawn protection was toned down to prevent Allied attackers in inside of the Voyentorg from being killed by spawn protection when objectives changed hands

Commissar's House
-Gave Allies 40 more reinforcements
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81
-Moved one of the initial Axis spawns back further from the Water Refinery
-Increased spawn protection and no artillery volumes for Allies
-Various cover fixes

Got a grenade kill and unlocked 9 achievements, including getting 100 tank kills? I also got an extra 3300 kills added to my stats and am now honor level 54. Wtf...

Just gave me 100 sniper kills, and I've been marksman maybe 3 times? Really can't get the hang of that class, I'm not much more accurate with it than I would be with a regular bolt and the 3D scope makes it difficult to keep an area on lock-down when I have to constantly look back and forth. I really like that they attached some penalties to the sniper role instead of making them unstoppable at any kind of range, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Meanwhile, MG rapes in a defensive role and is crazy accurate up to at least 200 metres. Just wish the russian MG had a single-shot feature. I mean it's probably a historical accuracy thing, but the MG34 already has a bigger mag and seems to have a bit less recoil... throw us ruskies a bone will ya? :(

Yeahhh hate to be "that" guy in the thread, but I think I'll give this game a solid couple weeks before I jump back in. Performs like shit for me.

The contest is now up on the front page / news forum. :)

Yeahhh hate to be "that" guy in the thread, but I think I'll give this game a solid couple weeks before I jump back in. Performs like shit for me.

Same here. I was really enjoying myself despite the bugginess, but that last patch really ****ed my performance, and I'm noticing more netcode-related problems than ever. 160 ping to a Sydney server? Haha yeah no way. Hit registration has taken a nosedive too, nothing more frustrating than missing a guy at point blank with an entire PPSh mag. This literally happened. :frown:

Honestly, I know my problems likely aren't indicative of everyone's experience, but if you're on the fence about getting it I'd hold off for now. I mean, absolutely enter the competition - there is unquestionably a terrific game in there once they clear away all the issues - but just be wary that it might not be up to scratch straight away. :(

Besides the stats, I've had none of the problems you seem to have.

2011092000001c.jpg

One well placed grenade. The bodies (and pieces) came rolling down the stairs and landed at my feet.

Once I was playing on that map with Pavlov's House (forget the map's actual name), and as commander I called artillery down right on top of myself because the objective was being overrun. I ran outside, ducked in a corner with a view of an open area inside a building, and the first arty shell lands behind a wall to my right, and I see three bodies and all their exploded parts fly through the air from behind the wall all the way off my screen to the left. My jaw literally dropped. Shit was awesome.

EDIT: Apparently people actually play like this. Pretty dumb, but looks neat in screenshot form. Open them in a new tab for full crazy res.

rogame2011091920425003.jpg

rogame2011091820525319.jpg

rogame2011091815463197.jpg

rogame2011091814574098.jpg

rogame2011091814524096.jpg

rogame2011091814290088.jpg

rogame2011091814172951.jpg

rogame2011091723211020.jpg

rogame2011091723144918.jpg

rogame2011091723093419.jpg

rogame2011091723081320.jpg

rogame2011091722544889.jpg

rogame2011091722533387.jpg

EDIT2: Oh, I guess photobucket resized them, since they were over 3 megs. Eh, w/e.

So by the sounds of it the SDK has been "pre-released," which means you have to ask Tripwire admin Yoshiro for a key. The hardware required to compile large/detailed levels sounds pretty ridiculous though, here's some dev quotes:

XB9Km.png

Not like I actually unlocked anything (ignoring the few times a server randomly decided to give me bayonets and/or drum mags), but this is going to piss off a lot of people who ranked up legitimately (somehow) and maybe turn some of them away from the game. The shame of it all is that the game would have been objectively better without the ****ing unlock system. I'm not staunchly against them, I can appreciate it's presence in something like CoD where the game is actually designed around it (and it ****ing works), but it's such an ill fit for RO, especially when most of the rewards are straight upgrades and take serious effort to unlock.

Any route, I really can't wait for people to start modding all this crap out so we can get to the meat of what makes it such a great game. That or just ditch ranked servers altogether so the host can specify weapon unlocks themselves... yeah, like that'll happen. People and their ****ing carrot-on-a-stick mentality.

I for one agree completely with the reset and my stats seem to work fine. It is only fair.

Reset is fine by me. Not like I was paying attention to unlocks or anything, the default weapons are pretty much the only ones I wanted :/

Also, I put in a request for the SDK preview like a week ago and still havent gotten a key :(

Can't wait to see my performance w/AMD CAP 1 - tis what I've been waiting on.

****ing AMD drivers.

New patch is out!

Everyone,

The previously mentioned RO2 update is in Valve's hands and will be released soon. The stats reset will take place sometime tomorrow morning/afternoon time. The changelog is below:

Stats
-Fixed stats and acheivements being awarded when they shouldn't have been and sometimes not saving stats on ranked servers. This requires a global stat and achievement reset which will be happening soon.
-Fixed several number display issues in the profile menu and after action report
-Honor, class, and weapon experience are all currently doubled to help make up for stats lost to the reset
-A new achievement has been added which is unlocked simply by playing RO2 during the double xp for players affected by the stat reset

Gameplay
-Reloading can be interrupted by melee or switching weapons
-Fixed quick grenade not returning to the previously equipped weapon
-Fixed team wounding counting as kill
-Fixed kill assists not showing up all the time
-Fixed Countdown Time to Beat being always 0
-Fixed timers showing wrong numbers in the single player campaign
-Fixed tank AI being able to see through smoke
-Fixed tank cannon smoke shells not blocking any AI vision

Stability & Performance
- Major optimization pass on all maps should increase performance across the board
- Reduced Alt-Tab crashing
- Fixed post-processing preset resetting itself in the video settings menu
- Fixed glowing outline/rainbow colors around the screen for certain machines
- Fixed a bug causing all audio to cut out after a map change
- Graphical improvements to environments, weapons and vehicle interior - areas or vehicles/weapons not in direct sunlight now have working specularity which will help make normal maps more visible and textures to look less flat
- New Umbra release and optimization
- General CPU optimizations

Server
-Fix for commandline setting of webadmin values not saving after multiple map changes

Good patch. Will try it out this weekend, glad they fixed the audio bug, thats pretty much the only one besides stats that was affecting me.

Game definitely seems to run smoother for me after the patch, was getting a bit of stuttering beforehand.

Good patch. Will try it out this weekend, glad they fixed the audio bug, thats pretty much the only one besides stats that was affecting me.

Apparently some people are still getting it. :v

Fire and Maneuver Realism Mod:

Goal

The purpose of this mod is to modify gameplay so fire and maneuver tactics can work on a public server or private unit match, provided players understand how the mod works. It should in theory work irrespective of the map or game type, or whether it's one of the larger mods being planned or smaller ones. This mod also attempts to achieve something new; bringing realism to a pub server. This is going to be done by increasing morale effects when going off by yourself and rewarding players more for team play, like suppression points and following orders.

***Please Read***
Before you read the feature list, there are a few things I would like everyone to know;

a.) Some of these features are controversial as many people have argued that they are not an accurate representation of what happens in real life. I have research and debated a vast majority of these feature additions and I plan on implementing things based on the research I have done. If you wish to debate a feature, please PM me or join me on Ventrilo. I would like this thread to answer questions and maybe get feature requests about the mod and not delve into lengthy debates. Ideas and Suggestions has plenty of threads that discuss these features, please debate there.

b.) Certain features are left out because they are map or server specific, most notably, weapon load-outs, respawns, and recon/arty. The unit mappers and server owners will have to decide how to best implement realism on that end. I may, however, provide a list of recommendations for server owners and unit mapper's as to which settings will be most appropriate for this mod.

c.) While I have identified the code for some of these features, some I have not. This is a list of things I either know I can probably mod or I wish to mod. If a feature does not make it, there's a good chance I found out it's not possible.

d.) Please keep feature requests limited to only those things that directly impact gameplay and require coding. Of course, if you're not sure, go ahead and ask, I'm not going to be rigid about this either.

Feature List:

Suppression and Morale
- Increased sway, recoil, and other stats when suppressed
- Increased aim-snapping making returning accurate fire more difficult
- Louder bullet whip/whizz (As proposed by Nezzer)
- Morale system will be based on proximity to squadmates and teamleaders
- Low morale will produce, with longer duration, the following effects on players;
Flinching (bullets passing by you cause you to flinch more)
Shakiness (Increased sway, and recoil)
Tunnel Vision (FOV/Zooming reduced and Depth of Field causing the sides to blur out)
Desperation (Double vision and color desaturation)

Weapon Systems
- No ranking bonuses, everyone wields the same weapon
- Increased recoil and sway when weapon is not rested
- Fatigue will impact sway and recoil more
- Detacheable bayonets
- Zooming will be decreased, but some zooming will be present to simulate focusing
- Weapon lag will be increased (time it takes for the iron sights to line up)
- Weapon lag will be added when moving between crouch and standing (as proposed by Proud_God)
- Bringing up sights will take longer and will be off center
- Weapon load-outs will be balanced with an emphasis on rifles
- A new Elite Assault class will be created that will feature just 1 MKB/AVT for each side
- General movement speed will be decreased
- Reloading will take longer
- Melee will be less lethal, rifle butts will take several hits to kill
- Random weapon jamming requiring a reload to fix

Health System
- Bandaging yourself will be more lengthy and less efficient
- Teammates can bandage you at a faster and more efficient rate
- Wounds may re-open if a lot of force is exherted
- A Medic class will be added that will produce the most efficient bandaging
- A shot to the arm may drop your weapon
- Arm wound will adversely affect recoil and sway, as well as reload times and sighting
- Leg wound will either reduce stamina drastically or limit the player to prone or crouch
- Getting hit at all will cause a substantial jerk or other effect
- Being wounded will lower morale, causing suppression to effectively be more ponounced

Cover System
- Ability to get into cover from Prone
- Different animation for engaging from corners (exposing yourself less)
- Ability to go crouch when dug into a corner. (As proposed by Trips)
- Lowered posture to ensure completely hidden from cover
- Prone will have a peak feature with appropriate animation

Squad and Teamwork
- Suppressing an enemy will award points
- Killing a suppressed enemy will award both the killer and the suppresser additional points
- Following orders given by a superior will award points
- Infantrymen will have a new animation where they point at a target (As proposed by Ritter)
- Team leaders will have compasses

More info and an FAQ here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67863

Meh, I like some of that stuff but I could do without crap like random weapon jams. What, really, is the point of that from a gameplay perspective?

I actually thought jams were already in the game.

I think it adds a bit of immersion. It can create super tense 'oh shit' moments, too.

It serves the same purpose that turning off "auto-reload" does. It gives you that nice clean "OH F*CK" feeling when you just hear a "click" instead of a "bang!"

Or, more likely, it gets you killed at a completely random moment through no fault of your own. Fun!

It serves the same purpose that turning off "auto-reload" does. It gives you that nice clean "OH F*CK" feeling when you just hear a "click" instead of a "bang!"

BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
ping

Or, more likely, it gets you killed at a completely random moment through no fault of your own. Fun!

It does sound fun actually. A little unexpected, freak occurring helps keeps things fresh. Instead of getting the drop on someone and being guaranteed to get the kill, now there's a 1% chance of something unexpected happening, and thats just enough to keep me on edge even in situations that should be sure-things.

BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
BANG
ping

There are no M1 Garands in the eastern front.

This is really your argument?

You really don't see the issue with introducing gameplay elements that the player has no way of predicting or compensating for, purely to "keep them on their toes"? Don't you feel even a little bit frustrated when you die in a game because of some stupid control issue or bug that you couldn't have known would happen, rather than something skill based that was actually a result of how you played? How is this any different besides being intentional and realistic (depending on the frequency, the second point is debatable)?

You really don't see the issue with introducing gameplay elements that the player has no way of predicting or compensating for, purely to "keep them on their toes"?
By that logic, all weapons should be 100 percent accurate. Weapon inaccuracy is one way in which weapons are imperfect. Jams are another. The player can not predict or compensate for either.

Don't you feel even a little bit frustrated when you die in a game because of some stupid control issue or bug that you couldn't have known would happen
Except it's not a control issue or bug.

How is this any different besides being intentional and realistic
Because it's something that applies to everyone. It's not out of place, it doesn't break immersion. If that's not enough for you to consider it no better than a glitch, I don't know what to say.

I've had weapon jams several times in arma, and none of the times was I frustrated. It always seemed to create a tense 'oh shit' moment, or perhaps a minor inconvenience if I wasn't in danger.

Weapon jams in a cooperative game where you're engaging enemies at range most of the time and can easily unjam in cover is a world away from jamming in a competitive multiplayer game where a single mistake can instantly **** you over.

Case in point: RO2 actually has a "jamming" bug. Occasionally your weapon will ignore the first click you make and not fire, which has cost me not only several kills, but a few lives. This is even without having to stop and unjam the gun - you can immediately fire another shot, but that moment could mean everything. Yeah, it's a bug, but it's incredibly frustrating and the random nature of it makes it no better than including it intentionally as a feature. Still not seeing the gameplay purpose behind it.

Back