Resident Evil 4 [PC] Out Today (U.S.)

VirusType2

Reaction score
Resident Evil 4 [PC](better late than never version) is expected to be in stores today or tomorrow, depending on your location in the United States.

4 Screenshots - PC version:
http://images.filefront.com/Resident+Evil+4/;516;0;/screenshot.html#current_image

Some of us (who think consoles are the root of all evil) have been waiting years to finally play this game.

I reserved it, so I'll be calling the store when they open to find out if it's arrived.

The official patch and a mouse-aim mod (unless you have a gamepad) is highly recommended.

Just in case someone gets the urge to talk about the game:

For the love of science, no spoilers of any kind in this thread please.
It's not funny! Please don't. I don't have anyone on my ignore list yet...

You can make a new thread or dig up one of the other Resident Evil threads for discussion instead.

Thanks!
-VirusType2

Note:
The crucial RE4 PC patch hasn't been out long, and many of the reviews were made before the patch came out, so take that into account when reading a review.

Official Patch EUR (European Version - may or may not work for U.S. version. note: U.S. version may already be patched [unknown])
@fileshack:
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10412/Resident+Evil+4+Patch+1.1.0+-+EU
@gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/residentevil4/download.html?sid=6169207
Search google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=resi...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
Official Patch EUR said:
Update for the European (PAL) release of Resident Evil 4 on the PC. Offers adjustments and improvements for graphics, lighting, and effects. Also fixes a rare crashing bug when skipping cutscenes.

Mouse Aim mod (for those who don't want to use, or don't have a gamepad)
@filefront
http://files.filefront.com/Resident+Evil+4+PC+Mouse+Aim/;6706029;/fileinfo.html
@(3 mirrors)
http://www.playfuls.com/gamespace_1233_download_1665_Resident_Evil_4_mouse_aim_MOD.html
search on google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&q=resident+evil+4+pc+mouse+fix+patch

note on Mouse Aim mod, use the correct dll:
ive downloaded it, started the loader file, the configure the settings, started up but it doesent work.

Any Ideas?

nick2shy May 12, 2007 10:36 pm PT
If you have patched the game then you need the new .dll file which was with the loader, look around you will find it.

You might want - Improved 360 controller driver:
http://halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2255266#post2255266

You realise those screenshots are from an ancient trailer for the GameCube version, right? That stuff didn't even make it into the final game, and Leon's character design saw some changes as well.
No, I assumed that they would put screenshots from the PC version under the PC version. Who is that.. Filefront. **** tards. Sorry. You get the idea though. Lol.

they do that all the time, there is a crappy port, they stick original vid or screenshot and call it the port

This is the worst port i have ever played, stay away!

Oh well.

My newly bought Gamecube with 4 controllers along with Super Smash Bros. Melee and RE4 shall be arriving in a couple of weeks. :D

This is the worst port i have ever played, stay away!
I just want to play the game, I'll get over it if there are differences, or glitches. I wouldn't even know the difference, since I have never played it.

Even with the patch, is it that bad?

What exactly is wrong with it after the patch?

I'm set to pick it up in a few hours. (I was too busy paying car taxes and insurance yesterday)

wasnt resident evil 4 released along time ago on pc? last time i played it the port sucked.

The game is actually pretty sweet ! Its scary too. Get it ! 8/10

I will be picking up the Wii version as soon as it drops. Can't wait!! Pc version? Not so much....

I might have to try this game out...lets hope it's great.

I would hate SourceNext (The developers of the PC version of RE4) but I can't bring myself to hate people who are mentally retarded.

I didn't have time to pick up the game yet. I got off work a little early yesterday and had to do a transplant. I put my computer internals in a new computer tower. It's cool...

This is the last day of the work week for me. I'll pick this game up after work and give it a thorough test, and let you guys know what I think.

This better be good, or I'm going to travel great distances to shove this game up someones ass. :angry:

I didn't have time to pick up the game yet. I got off work a little early yesterday and had to do a transplant. I put my computer internals in a new computer tower. It's cool...

This is the last day of the work week for me. I'll pick this game up after work and give it a thorough test, and let you guys know what I think.

This better be good, or I'm going to travel great distances to shove this game up someones ass. :angry:

Don't go expecting anything phenomenal and you'll be all set.

Expect a horrible port and you'll be even more set.

Don't you have a PS2? If you do, you'd be better off getting RE4 for that instead of the PC.

Aside from the glitches, bugs, and whatnot... being able to aim with a mouse will probably make the game way too easy.

Don't you have a PS2? If you do, you'd be better off getting RE4 for that instead of the PC.

Aside from the glitches, bugs, and whatnot... being able to aim with a mouse will probably make the game way too easy.

I don't even know if there are any glitches, bugs, and what not. The only glitch I know of, was the one where it might crash the game if you skip the cut-scenes, and that has been fixed in the patch, as well as the graphics.

I'd rather have a colonoscopy than play PS2 on a TV from the 80's. Let me change that. I'd rather play the PC version.

And playing a console game with a mouse is like playing a PC game with a gamepad. The game was designed around a certain peripheral, you should use it. Therefore I will use my gamepad.

But thanks for the suggestion. It's not a bad idea for some people.

EDIT: I'm off to the store to buy the game now. :)

Going to the moon. BRB

Resident Evil 4 - U.S.A. version said:
/* resident evil 4 Readme */

Version:1.1.0
Thank you for purchasing "resident evil 4."
Please read this file before playing.

[Contents]
1. Minimum System Requirements
2. Installation
3. About Microsoft(R) DirectX(R)
4. Setup Tool
5. Changes from ver1.1.0

1 Minimum System Requirements
----------------------------------------
Supported OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000/XP *1
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 1.4GHz
(Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 2.4GHz or higher recommended)
Memory: 256MB (512MB or more recommended)
Video Card: 128MB VRAM card with DirectX(R) 9.0c or higher /Shader 2.0 or higher support
(256MB VRAM or higher recommended) *2 *5
Sound Card: DirectX(R) 9.0c or higher compatible sound card *3
DVD Drive: 4x DVD-ROM or higher
Monitor: 800 x 600 resolution(SVGA), High-Color (16-bit color) or better
Supported Controllers: mouse and keyboard (required), PC compatible gamepad (4-axis dual analog sticks and 12 or more buttons required) *4
Hard Drive Space: 7.0GB of free space required
A PC capable of connecting to the internet

*1 Please check that the latest service pack has been installed.
*2 May not run properly with integrated graphics.
*3 May not run properly with onboard sound chips.
*4 USB compatible gamepads only (recommended gamepad: Microsoft's "Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows")
*5 An NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 6600 or better video card is recommended.

Game may not run properly on custom or personally modified computers.
Please exit all other programs before running this game.
If other programs are running, the game may not run properly.
Even if the above minimum system requirements are met, there is a possibility the game may not run properly depending on the computer environment.

2. Installation
Please insert the resident evil 4 DVD into your computer's DVD-ROM drive.
Your computer will automatically read the DVD and launch a
resident evil 4 Launcher Menu.
Select "Install" and follow the instructions.

If the Launcher Menu does not auto-launch, please double-click your DVD-ROM drive
from "My Computer" and double click on the "Autorun.exe" file.

3. About Microsoft(R) DirectX(R)
Microsoft(R) DirectX(R) 9.0c or higher is required to run this game.
Your computer will be scanned for compatibility.
In the event that an older version is found, the following error message will be displayed:

"Unable to locate d3dx9_30.dll"

If this happens, simply install the required version by running DXSETUP.exe
located in the "directx_aug2006_redist" folder found on the game DVD-ROM
to rectify the problem.

Looks like the USA version is already patched. Looks like getting the game last has the advantage of not being instantly disappointed and pissed. I will have to test it out and let you know...........

i attempted to patch mine, and tells me that such directory cannot be found, then i get the asia to european patch, then now the patch says there is no need to update. I start the game, and there is no graphical option.... wtf?

Well, if you were interested in playing this game with no less than 5 game of the year awards from Game Informer, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamespot.com, 1UP.com, Spike TV, and others, I say GET IT. COMMON DO IT. This is a fantastic game and the port seems to be flawless for the US version. I played the demo of the gamecube for about 10 minutes, and this feels like I am playing the gamecube version on one of those really high quality demo unit TV sets they use.

So I played the US PC version to the first save point. It took a while. This is cool. :) So this is old school RE, with no quicksaves, so you have to devote some time, and commit to it to make it to the next checkpoint so you don't lose your progress.

It looks exactly like the gamecube game I played in the store demo, except in insane resolution. It's clear. The textures are nice. The sound effects are perfectly clean and sharp. The control with the 360 controller feels like it was made for it (actually I think it was) I've heard that it's a port of the PS2 game, but when I play it, it's pretty obvious that it's a port of the gamecube game, complete with the gamecube controller on the controller configuration screen. Unless the PS2 version had an image of the gamecube controller as well. IDK.

I took some screenshots to show off how good it looks, considering the fact that it's a port of a gamecube game.

About the game. The gameplay is tight as shit. Dude I was blowing mother****ing bitches heads off and shit. I jumped through this window, did a flip, stoled some ammo, moved some furniture, and saved the dog.

The sound effects, graphics, and gameplay combine to make you really want to score that next headshot. It's like crack! Boom goes the heads!

Initial first impression review:
Resident Evil 4 - PC DVD - USA release version [unaltered retail]
port quality 10/10
lack of options in tuning the game is a bummer, but why would you want to turn them down? This is all the game has got. It was a console game, and it was full power captain.

Time Adjusted assesment:
graphics 8.5/10 - [game tested at 1600x1200 and 1280x1024 resolutions]Well, a few years ago this was some cutting edge shit. Now, it's looking great, but lets be real. This is barely a DX9 type game, and has shader model 2.0. The first area, the forest in fall looks great, it's just not a breathtaker like the Shivering Isle Oblivion Expansion or something. The trees look cool, but they didn't improve the polygon count for the PC version, and why would they, that costs extra.

For example, 1 or 2 trees in Oblivion - The Shivering Isles probably has more polygons than every tree in the Resident Evil 4 forest combined, but they still manage to look pretty damn good and believable.

The cinematic movies are ripped well, but since they didn't use real-time graphics, there is some degradation of movie quality. It's seems about like DVD quality movies. (standard defenition) It's really a minor detail and doesn't take away from the game. It's actually kind of nice because the cinematic movies are interesting, but when they are over, suddenly the picture looks super clear and clean, making you appreciate the PC's high resolution ability.

Sound efffects.
8.5/10
- The sound effects are great. It would have been nice to hear a catch music tune at some point or something, besides the battle drone. It seems like the gamecube didn't have much memory to spare, and the game is 7GB. (that's pretty large man) I don't know how many little gamecube discs that must have taken. But they didn't get the extra content, so ...

The next thing I'll mention as the only flaw I noticed may have been a problem on the gamecube and PS2 as well - you can hear enemies from great distances mumbling to themselves. There is no fall-off distance for sound effects. They are great though. At least then you can the lead crunch into the flesh, and hear them wince in pain when you shoot them from far away. :devil: However, this is probably simply because I'm using software on-board sound, which is actually listed as unsupported, and mentions the game may not work correctly. So you probably won't have this issue if the consoles didn't. It's only noticeable in one area so far, with the binoculars.

Not the best sounds I've ever heard, but excellent none-the-less, and don't seem like they would get on your nerves at all. These are perfect samples. They sound like they are copies of the master, not copies of copies, but there is no way for me to know.

control 8.5/10 - nothing wrong with it, it's just that RE never had great control. Aiming is fun, and it's a challenge to shoot the enemies in the head because of the distance, the kick on the gun (well done gameplay mechanic), and the way the enemies move. It's really fun to use the pistol and shotgun, which are the only weapons I've tried so far.

The over the shoulder camera and full 3D environment is a huge improvement over the original RE, that is to be sure.

I haven't got a chance to try out the new kick move yet, but it seems like it will be welcome.

fun 9/10 - Blowing hordes of possesed villager mother****er's heads off never felt so right.

purpose 10/10 - There are many games these days that don't encourage you to play them. This game has a 'carrot on a stick' in front of you. Making you want to keep pressing on.

extras - Well, we get 5 bonus levels, an extra playable character 'Ada Wong', new weapons like the P.R.L.412 Lazer cannon and the gunpowder bowgun, and new unlockable costumes for Leon and Ashley, and better than true HD resolution options. How can you complain?

Final note: If you ever enjoyed a resident evil game, and wanted to check in that next room to see what happens next, you can't miss out on finally having that chance. What seems to be a slight deviation from the past games is a vast improvement in my opinion. Ultimately this is one great game that you need to own and play through, or you are missing out on some of the best that video gaming has to offer.

I took some good screenshots showing off the conversion to the PC with incredible sharpness, clarity, and contrast of SuperVGA compared to the gamecube/ps2 SDTV versions.

Unfortunately I got this weird problem where if I try to upload an image to a website, it knocks out my internet access permanently. I had to go upstairs and reset the modem to get internet back twice, so forget it. No screenshots from me.

I start the game, and there is no graphical option.... wtf?
There are no graphic options besides changing the resolution from various choices starting at 640x480 (gamecube and PS2 - NTSC versions) You could add anti-aliasing and things like that in your GPU control panel.

Max resolution is 1600x1200. This is what I play it at. What version do you have? The USA version is already patched and has a language selection of 5 languages to choose from. If you are having problems with your warez, tough shit. LOL ;)

screenshots?

I took some good screenshots

Unfortunately I got this weird problem where if I try to upload an image to a website, it knocks out my internet access permanently. I had to go upstairs and reset the modem to get internet back twice, so forget it. No screenshots from me.

I don't know what the **** is wrong, but I can't upload any files again. I had somehow fixed this with my last XP install. HATE

It's probably the firewall on the network. let me check...

Ugh, I take back my reassuring post.

Bought this for $20 at Walmart, fairly excited to play it.

I flip through the manual, seeing the control scheme... I started getting worried at the lack of any mentions or nods towards mouse control.

I install it, and start playing it... Ugly as hell, ffs... looks like it was made 7/8 years ago.
AND you aim with WSAD?! What the ****!?!
The mouse aim mod doesn't even work with the US version apparently either.
Also, since I don't have a control pad I'm pretty much screwed.

Yay!

Complete waste of money, what the **** is point of releasing a game on the PC without enhanced visuals and mouse support?

Unless somebody can recommend a cheap game pad(under $40 preferably) for the PC?

Hahaha--getting it the way it was meant to be played in a couple of Wiiks!!!

(PS2 version upscaled on the PS3 kicks mucho ace as well.)

I install it, and start playing it... Ugly as hell,

Get the patch if you want the prettiness, and it isn't that pretty even on GC. Game sucks anyway too much random button mashing to save your skin.

Just bought it for PC. Yes, the movies are in painfully low resolution and the textures are blurry most of the times, but it's still an awesome game. I haven't played it on either GC or PS2, so I can't comment on graphical comparisons. I did take a screenshot from one of the later levels.

Not mind-blowingly pretty for sure, but the gameplay is ****ing amazing. I haven't never played a shooter on a gamepad before, but I only died twice in the beginning before the headshots started raining in. I mean, a zombie evades out of my gunsight, gets close enough to me, makes a bone-chilling scream while reaching out to rip my throat out, I panic, shoot blindly, still get a headshot, head explodes, I feel proud . . . then a ****ing huge-ass bug start crawling out of the neck, spraying me with acid, while I ****ing try to reload my shotgun.

The gameplay is constantly mixed up, so there is always something new. The boss-fights are also really really fun, especially as each one is unique and few are solely based on how much lead you can pump into a specific spot.

So yes, if you are a graphics whore and don't have a gamepad, skip this one. Otherwise, awesome game.

PS: patched the game before I started playing, so I don't know how the graphics looked like before the patch.

Do you have the latest patch? It looks like you're missing all the lighting effects there.

Yep, latest patch (1.10). The setup is utterly rudimentary, with me only being able to chose between three resolutions and full screen/window. I think this is as good as it will get.

Here's a comparison shot: http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-4-pc-patch-makes-game-not-look-like-crap-31058.phtml. I have almost beaten the game, so I'll uninstall and see if the patch actually makes a difference on my computer.

The US PC version is apparently already patched.

Ugh, I take back my reassuring post.

Bought this for $20 at Walmart, fairly excited to play it.

I flip through the manual, seeing the control scheme... I started getting worried at the lack of any mentions or nods towards mouse control.

I install it, and start playing it... Ugly as hell, ffs... looks like it was made 7/8 years ago.
AND you aim with WSAD?! What the ****!?!
The mouse aim mod doesn't even work with the US version apparently either.
Also, since I don't have a control pad I'm pretty much screwed.

Yay!

Complete waste of money, what the **** is point of releasing a game on the PC without enhanced visuals and mouse support?

Unless somebody can recommend a cheap game pad(under $40 preferably) for the PC?
xbox 360 pad.

Ooh and Roland, that looks like complete and utter shit because it is full bright. The patch should give it lightning so definitely install the patch. That comparison doesn't do it justice at all.

Back